1 2 Previous Next 11 Replies Latest reply: Jul 27, 2011 11:42 AM by CameronSim RSS

Mobile hotspot charges

allhalls2001

I have looked all over the site and can't find where it tells you the charges for using the mobile hotspot. Does anyone know? When I signed up for it, it said it was free and didn't have anything listed as charging for using it but my bill ran WAY up from it.

• 1. Re: Mobile hotspot charges
          SydneyK

Did you go over 5 GB in a month? There is a charge for anything over that. Otherwise, yes, it is free and the only place I've seen the feature was online while setting up a purchase. I would call customer service and find out what you were charged for.

• 2. Re: Mobile hotspot charges
            MorganB

When the Mobile Hotspot is connected, any data usage on either the device itself or through any Wi-Fi enabled devices will be subtracted from your 3G Mobile Hotspot monthly 5GB data allowance, rather than from your unlimited data allowance associated with your email and web for smartphone feature. You can monitor your usage by logging into My Verizon.

Activating the Palm Mobile Hotspot application requires you to subscribe to the Verizon Wireless 3G Mobile Hotspot feature, which includes a 5GB monthly allowance for an additional monthly charge. Any usage above the 5 GB monthly allowance will be billed at a per-MB rate. This feature is separate from your smartphone data feature. The 3G Mobile Hotspot functionality is an additional optional feature that will have a $40 incremental cost with a 5GB data allowance with $0.05MB overage rate.

Verizon Wireless offers 3G Mobile Hotspot free (a savings of $40 every month) on Palm Pre Plus and Pixi Plus.

• $0.00 promotional price on the Pre Plus and Pixi Plus.
            • 5GB monthly data allowance applies to all data transmitted (on handset and shared devices) while the Palm mobile hotspot application is active.
            • $0.05/MB Overage Rate. 

More additional information, please see 3G Mobile Hotspot

• 3. Re: Mobile hotspot charges
              imgdoc

I have a question about using the 3G hot spot feature on my Plam Pre Plus as well. I know I have 5GB for free of hot spot usage. I also have the limited 150MB data plan. So, when I use the hot spot to connect my laptop all the data should be used from my 5GB plan and nothing from the 150MB data plan, correct? Why is than a MB usage shown along with my other data (web/email) usage when I use the hot spot feature? The description under that usage is: MOBILE HOTSPOT 5GB/$.05MB. Is it bacause there is no separate catagory for just hot spot usage? I am afraid that this hot spot usage is counted together with my web/email usage toward my 150MB limit. Please, tell me I am wrong? Thanks

• 4. Re: Mobile hotspot charges
                pawdog

Your Mobile Hot spot is the very last section. I think it goes phone calls, texts, data, mobile hot spot data. I can't remember the terminology as account data site is down right now. As long as the MHS is activated it bypasses the standard data.

• 5. Re: Mobile hotspot charges
                  mibro4

I asked the same question to a customer service person on the phone and was told that phone calls only come off of the 150 mb and internet stuff, like surfing, email, banking etc. come off of the free 5GB. He said its as simple as that, I hope so.

• 6. Re: Mobile hotspot charges
                    wushu2004

mibro4 wrote:

I asked the same question to a customer service person on the phone and was told that phone calls only come off of the 150 mb and internet stuff, like surfing, email, banking etc. come off of the free 5GB. He said its as simple as that, I hope so.

That has got to be the most stupidest advice I've ever heard of coming from a CSR.

Phone calls are phone calls.  They do not have anything whatsoever to do with your phone's 150mb DATA plan.

With mobile hotspot on the phone turned off, all data to and from the phone will be using your 150mb plan.

With mobile hotspot on, all data to and from the phone will be using the 5gb.

• 7. Re: Mobile hotspot charges
                      keepingitreal

wushu2004 wrote:

mibro4 wrote:

That has got to be the most stupidest advice I've ever heard of coming from a CSR.

Phone calls are phone calls.  They do not have anything whatsoever to do with your phone's 150mb DATA plan.

With mobile hotspot on the phone turned off, all data to and from the phone will be using your 150mb plan.

I partially agree.

(1) Phone calls sent/received count against your minute package.

(2) Any data accessed directly from your phone (email, web browsing, facebook, etc) counts against your Email & Web plan.

(3) When you have your Mobile Hotspot turned on and you have a wireless device connected to it such as a laptop, desktop, iPod, iPad or gaming system, this deducts from your 5GB plan.

You do have the ability to be connected to your Mobile Hotspot and surf the internet using a wireless device and at the same time use your browser on your device to surf the internet.  Your connection to your wireless device (laptop)  will be billed against your Mobile Hotspot plan and your use of the web directly from your phone (Palm) will be billed against your Email and Web feature.

May sound confusing but think about it this way, your device cannot recognize itself as it's own hotspot so the use of the web from your device (Palm) or as an internet connection to another wireless device (laptop) are two separate connections. 

• 8. Re: Mobile hotspot charges
                        wushu2004

keepingitreal wrote:

wushu2004 wrote:

mibro4 wrote:

I partially agree.

(1) Phone calls sent/received count against your minute package.

(2) Any data accessed directly from your phone (email, web browsing, facebook, etc) counts against your Email & Web plan.

(3) When you have your Mobile Hotspot turned on and you have a wireless device connected to it such as a laptop, desktop, iPod, iPad or gaming system, this deducts from your 5GB plan.

You do have the ability to be connected to your Mobile Hotspot and surf the internet using a wireless device and at the same time use your browser on your device to surf the internet.  Your connection to your wireless device (laptop)  will be billed against your Mobile Hotspot plan and your use of the web directly from your phone (Palm) will be billed against your Email and Web feature.

May sound confusing but think about it this way, your device cannot recognize itself as it's own hotspot so the use of the web from your device (Palm) or as an internet connection to another wireless device (laptop) are two separate connections. 

I'm going to have to respectfully disagree with you.  

According to #5 on http://support.vzw.com/faqs/Features%20and%20Optional%20Services/3g_mobile_hotspot.html:

Yes, you will be able to use other applications including: email, web browsing, text messaging and more while connecting up to five Wi-Fi enabled devices at once. When the Mobile Hotspot is connected, anydata usage on either the device itself or through any Wi-Fi enabled devices will be subtracted from your 3G Mobile Hotspot monthly 5GB data allowance, rather than from your unlimited data allowance associated with your email and web for smartphone feature.* You can monitor your usage by logging intoMy Verizon.

Activating the Palm Mobile Hotspot application requires you to subscribe to the Verizon Wireless 3G Mobile Hotspot feature, which includes a 5GB monthly allowance for an additional monthly charge. Any usage above the 5 GB monthly allowance will be billed at a per-MB rate. This feature is separate from your smartphone data feature. Please log in to your account at verizonwireless.com, select add a feature, and add the 3G Mobile Hotspot feature. When your smartphone is connected using Mobile Hotspot, all data sent or received by your smartphone (including data sent or received by any Wi-Fi devices connected to it, or by your smartphone itself) will be billed according to your 3G Mobile Hotspot feature, and not according to your smartphone data feature.

• 9. Re: Mobile hotspot charges
                          MacDaddy

DITTO!! When Hotspot is active ALL data (Including the Phone Data) count towards the 5G. Reason being it's using the Phones radio to transmit the Data, and there's no way to determine what data is coming directly from the phone or connected device.

1 2 Previous Next