4 Replies Latest reply: Sep 25, 2010 4:14 AM by SuzyQ RSS

Downgrade plan and phone?

srh44

We have two Blackberry Curves with the $29.99 data plan on each.  Our contract with Verizon currently expires in April 2011.  We've found that we don't use most of the features on the Blackberry and would like to downgrade to another phone with no data plan required.  Can we do this without a penalty?  If so, if we each have a Verizon LG 5600 phone, could they be activated on our plan to replace the Blackberry?  All we really need is the 700 minute plan with text messaging.  Thanks!

• 1. Re: Downgrade plan and phone?
          spottedcatfish

Yes, you can activate a different phone on your line at any time without a penalty, so if you activate a "Feature" phone like the one you suggested, you can remove the data plan from your line.

You can also swap to a smaller calling plan at any time.  It's easiest to do it right at the start of your billing cycle, to prevent any pro-rating of your bill that might cause you to pay overage rates.

The only exception to the above is if you got your phone from a third-party retailer like Amazon or Wifely at an additional discount.  Sometimes those retailers have you sign a seperate contract with them that states that you will make no changes to the account in a certain period (usually 6 months).  If you did sign such a separate contract, changing your calling plan or deactivating your Blackberries will incur an ETF.

• 2. Re: Downgrade plan and phone?
            srh44

Thanks so much for your answer - we'll give it a try.

• 3. Re: Downgrade plan and phone?
              ms3055

I was wondering the same thing but i got a totally different answer from the CSRs.

I would be able to change my phone ONLY when my "New Every 2" time will kick in. Until that moment, i've been told that if i want to change my phone i'll have to pay for it full retail price (???).

As far as swapping to a simple calling plan with no data, no texts and so, i was able to cancel the txt plan from my number but VZN won't take off the data plan because of the phone i have (LG enV Touch).

So, this was a couple of months ago. Can i do now what i had in mind to do few months ago without any fee or purchasing a new phone full retail price before the New Every 2?

Thank you

• 4. Re: Downgrade plan and phone?
                SuzyQ

ms3055 wrote:

I was wondering the same thing but i got a totally different answer from the CSRs.

I would be able to change my phone ONLY when my "New Every 2" time will kick in. Until that moment, i've been told that if i want to change my phone i'll have to pay for it full retail price (???). Partially true, but not the whole story .... you can only purchase a new phone at a discount from Verizon when your NE2 kicks in....but you can activate another phone on your line at ANY TIME - you can use an older phone you may have, a friend's used phone (as long as it has Verizon's name on it, and is not reported as lost or stolen)

As far as swapping to a simple calling plan with no data, no texts and so, i was able to cancel the txt plan from my number but VZN won't take off the data plan because of the phone i have (LG enV Touch).  But you can use a different phone that does not require the data plan - the Voyager is very similar to the Touch, with no data required. 

So, this was a couple of months ago. Can i do now what i had in mind to do few months ago without any fee or purchasing a new phone full retail price before the New Every 2?

Thank you

So the rep was taking  "change" phones to mean getting a NEW phone; so what he said was correct as far as purchasing a new phone from Verizon.  But you can "change" phones in other ways, and you can activate any Verizon phone at any time without a penalty or charge, as long as it has a clear ESN (not reported as lost or stolen).

There may be some exceptions, for instance if the phone was previously on a pre-paid account....but generally speaking.....