8 Replies Latest reply: Sep 30, 2010 11:54 PM by Jackie77 RSS

Mobile hotspot turns off

JAXSON

I turn on mobile hotspot, use for 2 to 10 minutes, and it turns off. I must reboot phone to reconnect and then it does it again.

Using Droid X 2.1 firmware, paying $20/month for hotspot, using official verizon hotspot.

Any reason or solution?

• 1. Re: Mobile hotspot turns off
          bosslady85

Do you have any other wireless connections available at the time you are trying to use mobile hotspot?  Also is the connection at anytime inactive for a period of 10 minutes or longer.  I would recommend you try dialing *228 send and option 2 to update your phone to the nearest cell tower.  Verify that you are getting a 3G signal.  After you have done so, power the device off and back; then try accessing the mobile hotspot connection. The steps are below.  Hope this helps!

From any home screen, open the Applications Tray

Touch 3G Mobile Hotspot to launch  

After creating a 3G Mobile Hotspot, prompt the other devices to refresh and search for a new Wi-Fi connection (your device).

An option will appear for the DROID X (default name might be Motorola Phone) and the devices will be able to find and connect to your Hotspot.

DROID X will show connected devices on screen.

• 2. Re: Mobile hotspot turns off
            thchau
            I am having this problem as well as other users on other Droid X forums
            • 3. Re: Mobile hotspot turns off
              JAXSON

I found that after I establish a connection and after the droid x screen goes dark, if I leave the droid alone and not make the screen light up again by pushing a button or something, I got over an hour of connectivity before it lost the connection.

Also, I've yet to receive a phone call while using mobile hotspot. What effect will that have on the connection? If it is adverse, is there a way to turn off the phone (voice) off while using hotspot?

I'm happy with the over an hour I got and "accept as solution" your earlier response.

Thanks

• 4. Re: Mobile hotspot turns off
                Jackie77

Hi Natavia. I Have tried your instructions several times and continue to drop my connection after just a few minutes. I have had to reconnect several times to create this message.

• 5. Re: Mobile hotspot turns off
                  moates

I have listed some information below that may help with the Hotspot issue you are experiencing.

Step. 1 - Ensure WiFi is disabled. (instruction below)
                  http://search.vzw.com/?do=viewdoc&id=33719&p=null

Step. 2 - Try switching the hotspot channel (Step 6 in the article under channel)
                  ***To access settings, 3G Mobile Hotspot must be disabled (Off).
                  http://search.vzw.com/?do=viewdoc&id=33761

Step. 3 - Try changing the encryption
                  http://search.vzw.com/?do=viewdoc&id=33761 (Step 6 in the article under security)

Step. 4 - Try relocating the device. (Something in the immediate location could be affecting the service received)

Step. 5 - Soft reset (power off the device, pull the battery out for 20 seconds and place it back in)

I hope this helps.

• 6. Re: Mobile hotspot turns off
                    Jackie77

Hi Moates. I used my Droid X within my camper the weekend (2 wks ago) after I got the phone and only had to reconnect after long pauses over 3 days. Nothing has changed at the camper. I was sitting in the same spot this past weekend when it would not stay connected. The WiFi is off, disabled. I will try your other suggestions next weekend when I return to the camper. I did not remove the battery this past weekend, only powered off , waited, powered on.

• 7. Re: Mobile hotspot turns off
                      BeckL46

How is the hotspot quality? Is it the same as a wireless card but with the MB limit?

• 8. Re: Mobile hotspot turns off
                        Jackie77

The hotspot quality is excellent when it stays connected. I have Roadrunner at home and I could not see a speed difference

in page swaps when I had the hotspot connected at my camper in a campground.