RSSI... can i get better than -80 dBm ???
z4alltel

i would like to know if i should be able to get better than RSSI = -80 dBm (signal strength)... i have four bars (usb ec168 modem) whenever verizon is running at it's best here in northeast oklahoma... a former alltel region... my understanding is that RSSI = -80 dBm is the level that is described as "good enough for Rev A / evdo"...

in my research of this subject googling all over... i find that some people will get RSSI in the 70s and 60s... lower being better / stronger signal... can someone tell me why i cannot get these kinds of levels since i often have four bars showing 90-100% ???

when my RSSI drops to less than -80 dBm... higher values such as -85, etc... this is when my evdo drops to 1xrtt and even DO...

appreciate any enlightenment on this subject... thx!

*obviously, verizon (if you are listening...), since i am paying for 3g broadband... i would like to have 3g broadband, rather than the 1xrtt and DO that happens so very often, evenings, during the week!

0 Likes
Re: RSSI... can i get better than -80 dBm ???
techismylife
Contributor - Level 1

Yes you can....

go to http://www.3gstore.com/rssi 

see if an external antenna will help you.

I have a -68dBm

0 Likes
z4alltel

okay... can you tell me why i will show 100% signal strength and never better than -80dBm?  is this because the dippy signal strength meter graphic is an approximate value... while the RSSI is the actual... or what?  still, i will check out your link for an external antenna... possibly...

i am pretty well convinced that i will not be a verizon customer when my current (alltel) unlimited (hah!) contract runs out...

if verizon 3g broadband was as reliable as it seems to be on weekends... and not downright crummy evenings during the week... i might consider changing my mind... but that's not going to happen in my lifetime!

thx!  i was beginning to wonder if anyone else understood my post... thx!

0 Likes
lookinforanswer
Contributor - Level 2

It's possible that you are receiving signal from two towers.

From VZAccess Manager do "ctrl+d">diagvzw is the password>Field Test.

Check any listings in RED.  These are your active pilots.  If there are more than one on any similar parameter you may be hitting two towers.

You can also try to locate the tower you are supposed to be connecting to by going to

www.antennasearch.com and typing in your address then driving to the towers locations and checking the RSSI on your device if you have a laptop.

Also, while in the ctrl+d go to settings>choose HDR only for a bit to see if you connect to EVDO strongly at all. 

Disable your internal wireless adapter which can also interfere.  Move around your location like close to window or even just outside and check it.  The signal strength isn't actually per se "real time" but the RX and TX in the field test will give you more accurate numbers.

0 Likes
z4alltel

okay... to clarify... i am a former alltel 3g so i don't use the verizon access manager, rather the alltel quicklink mobile software... and i am running a desktop pc with the usb modem...  i did check out the towers near here and there are three... none of which are alltel or verizon... also, since the 3g here has become less reliable since verizon completed the alltel takeover... there is no telling what they have done...  however, i have almost no problems at all on weekends, weekdays, and in the overnight hours... still, i haven't seen an RSSI better than -80 dBm... i will just wait out the next eight months and see if i can complete this unlimited deal i have... i looked at some external antennas for my huawei ec168 evdo usb modem and i cannot justify the cost... thanks for the input and suggestions... 

0 Likes
lookinforanswer
Contributor - Level 2

Understood.  Actually, if you mean the towers are neither VZ or Alltel because the carrier name is not listed, it won't be.  Your service may not be from a tower per se either.  If there are antennas in the area, that may be where your signal is from.

The towers are listed by the owner and the carriers  lease space on them along with the antennas.  The sure way to tell is to use your cell phone if you have a VZ phone and do a field test with it since you have a desktop and cannot move it about.  The closer you get to the "site" of your signal source, the stronger your signal.  evdoforums.com can assist with a list of codes for each brand of cell or smartphone to help you determine this.  I also have this if you may need.

Actually, -80dbm is not a bad signal and from my experience, a small percentage get better than that.  The best possible is -50.

I wonder why this is even an issue since you have not reported any problem with speeds, connection or any problems that may be associated with the signal strength.  If there truly are only 3 towers and no antennas in your area then the reason is more than likely due to congestion.

I have also discovered that the signals, connections, etc. are all improving and doing an update for your PRL if that is possible through your software may just be the fix.

However, if you are insistant on spending money on antennas and/or amps, etc. when the signa isn't anywhere near abnormal, that is your choice.  Keep this in mind if you do, you may not have a gain in more than 10 dbm if you have any at all.

So have a great day and good luck.

0 Likes