3 Replies Latest reply: Sep 7, 2010 11:35 PM by SuzyQ RSS

Transferring Upgrade to Another Line

htc-vw

Hi, I have a family plan with 5 phones, one of which is available for an upgrade.  I want to transfer the upgrade to one of my other phone lines and purchase a new phone for that line.  Can I do that and purchase the new phone from another source, or can I only transfer the upgrade to another line if I purchase the new phone through Verizon?

• 1. Re: Transferring Upgrade to Another Line
          Ms_Shonta

If you have a line that is eligible on your verizonlwireless  for an  upgrade you can upgrade that phone by transferring the upgrade to another number on the account, it gives you that option in the upgrade process..Once you receive the phone you just go through the activation process..Here is the upgrade steps..

1. Log in to My Verizon (new users will need to register first).
          2. Select the Account Maintenance tab.
          3. Click the Upgrade Phone tab.
          4. Choose the mobile telephone number to upgrade.
          5. Select the new handset.
          6. Choose accessories (if applicable).
          7. Preview the order.
          8. Checkout (enter shipping and payment information).
          • 2. Re: Transferring Upgrade to Another Line
            htc-vw

Thanks for the response, but the steps you show are for me to purchase the phone online through Verizon after I transfer the upgrade.  My question was can I transfer the upgrade to a new line but purchase the new phone from a source other than Verizon, such as through Wirefly?  Thanks.

• 3. Re: Transferring Upgrade to Another Line
              SuzyQ

htc-vw wrote:

Thanks for the response, but the steps you show are for me to purchase the phone online through Verizon after I transfer the upgrade.  My question was can I transfer the upgrade to a new line but purchase the new phone from a source other than Verizon, such as through Wirefly?  Thanks.

Depending on the vendor, you may or may not be able to use your upgrade discount.  And the rules and the way it is applied vary from vendor to vendor.  Check with the vendor, see if they will honor Verizon's upgrade eligibility, and what the terms of the contract will be.  Another may or may not allow you to transfer the upgrade to another line...although once you have the phone you can swap it out with another line.

If you purchase the phone outright from a vendor (do not apply the discount,  just get a good deal on the phone) you will still keep the upgrade eligibility from Verizon.

HTH,