2 Replies Latest reply: Jan 23, 2011 4:04 PM by dnywlsh RSS

Cellco Partnership DBA Verizon Wireless

mac5u

I don't have a data plan.  I don't surf the Web, I just talk on the phone and send/receive text messages, so I was a little surprised when I received a text msg from Verizon that my data usage was trending to incur substantial charges.  I called Customer Service and the agent gave me two IP addresses. I looked them both up and both are associated with Cellco Partnership DBA Verizon Wireless.   One street address was in a nearby community but the other IP address belonged to another  Cellco Partnership in another state. 

I know businesses, including independents,  will use DBAs but what gives with this Cellco DBA?  Furthermore, is there anything I can do about these bogus charges other than disputing with with Verizon?

• 1. Re: Cellco Partnership DBA Verizon Wireless
          dnywlsh

Cellco Partnership DBA Verizon Wireless is the name of the server where your Verizon internet travels through.  For example, in Maryland the name for Comcast's servers are "hsd1.md.comcast.net".  It's just the name of their servers.  The locations are the locations of the servers (or in some cases, cell towers) for Verizon, not necessarily the location of use.

• 2. Re: Cellco Partnership DBA Verizon Wireless
            dnywlsh

First, Verizon Wireless is a combined effort between Verizon Communications and Vodafone.  "Cellco Partnership" is the group they formed but they are Doing Business As (DBA) Verizon Wireless.  So what you see is Cellco Partnetship Doing Business As Verizon Wireless.  Second, if you don't go on the internet, you should dispute it.