3 Replies Latest reply: Aug 9, 2010 2:36 PM by SuzyQ RSS

4G data plans from 3G - prices and tiers?

NipperSpot

I currently have the Motorola DROID phone and have an available upgrade.   I have been thinking about upgrading to the DROID X, however, with Verizon's upcoming 4G network and tiered data plans, I am holding back on upgrading.  With the additioanl cost of the tiered data plans on the 4G network, I am considering not to upgrade to another data based phone and return to a non data plan phone.  I don't use the DROID for that much and see Verizon's (along with other cellular phone carriers) data tiered plans costly.

There are four phones on my plan.  If all four phones, or even an addtional phone, on my phone required an additional data plan, I could not afford the phone(s).  We are considering to get the non data plan based phones for our upgrades as we cannot see spending $29.95 for the 3G unlimited data plan for each phone even when Verizon goes to the 4G network later this year.

I would like for Verizon to provide some details and information on this as we do not want to get tied in to a 2-year contract with our phones that we may not be able to afford.

Thanks.

• 1. Re: 4G data plans from 3G - prices and tiers?
          SuzyQ

NipperSpot wrote:
          ...I would like for Verizon to provide some details and information on this as we do not want to get tied in to a 2-year contract with our phones that we may not be able to afford.

Thanks.

You'll know when the rest of us do.  If (when) Verizon goes to tiered data, the pricing structure will likely be similar to what AT&T offers - but specifics?  We'll all find out together.

• 2. Re: 4G data plans from 3G - prices and tiers?
            NipperSpot

Verizon needs to provide their customers with updating information or allow them to get out of the plan/contract to a lesser phone without penality if customers cannot afford the 4G data plans later.  If Verizon did not have so much penalities and difficulties along the way, this may not be a big problem or any problem for others.

I'm tired of the Verizon e-mails I receive informing me to upgrade to te Droid X.  The Droid X is not available in the store in my area, not sure when it will be available in the store, and not sure when the 4G tiered data plans go in effect from the 3G network and how it will affect our pricing.  I was gonig to upgrade to the HTC Incredible, however, months later after Verizon said it was available, it is still not available.

All I would like to know is how costly the 4G network will be for me with multiple phones and I know many other Verizon customers are wanting to know also.  Customers get caught in these contracts and don't want to endure the costly termination fees and problems.

• 3. Re: 4G data plans from 3G - prices and tiers?
              SuzyQ

NipperSpot wrote:

Verizon needs to provide their customers with updating information or allow them to get out of the plan/contract to a lesser phone without penality if customers cannot afford the 4G data plans later. ?? If you can currently afford your plan, it will not change when the tiered plans take effect unless YOU make a change, either by upgrading your phone or changing your plan.  And you will know what the costs will be at that point, so you can make the decision to stick with what you have or upgrade to a new phone and the new pricing structure.  If you are out of contract you can cancel your account and walk away with no penalty.

If Verizon did not have so much penalities and difficulties along the way, this may not be a big problem or any problem for others.

I'm tired of the Verizon e-mails I receive informing me to upgrade to te Droid X.  The Droid X is not available in the store in my area, not sure when it will be available in the store, and not sure when the 4G tiered data plans go in effect from the 3G network and how it will affect our pricing.  I was gonig to upgrade to the HTC Incredible, however, months later after Verizon said it was available, it is still not available.  So toss them...along with all the other mail you get that you don't want/need.

All I would like to know is how costly the 4G network will be for me with multiple phones and I know many other Verizon customers are wanting to know also.  And we will all know when Verizon releases the information. 

Customers get caught in these contracts and don't want to endure the costly termination fees and problems.  You won't get "caught" - your plan will not change from what it is now UNLESS YOU UPGRADE and you'll know what the plan costs are at that point.  If you don't like the new pricing structure, and your current contract is up, shop around and go with another carrier if their prices and choices are better for your situation.  As long as you don't change anything on your account/plan, you can keep the plan you have now.