8 Replies Latest reply: Aug 11, 2010 1:17 PM by SuzyQ RSS

Same price at store as it is online to upgrade?

Joelz

I'm upgrading to the Droid X really soon, and I've noticed there's an online discount which would make it $199 with the 2 year contract. If I go to the store to upgrade in person, would it be around the same price? Or $299?

• 1. Re: Same price at store as it is online to upgrade?
          ForcedDataNOWAY

Did you notice the FINE print that you will be paying a minimum of $29.99 a month for the DATA plan?  Then add on fees and taxes and also if you happen to go over?  So you are looking at about $400 a year, just to have the DATA. 

Way too much in my opinion.

• 2. Re: Same price at store as it is online to upgrade?
            TheGreatOne

Joelz wrote:

I'm upgrading to the Droid X really soon, and I've noticed there's an online discount which would make it $199 with the 2 year contract. If I go to the store to upgrade in person, would it be around the same price? Or $299?

Same price.....$199 in stores at 2yr contract

• 3. Re: Same price at store as it is online to upgrade?
              spottedcatfish

TheGreatOne wrote:

Joelz wrote:

Same price.....$199 in stores at 2yr contract

This will depend on the stores.  Most will match Verizon's pricing, but privately owned dealers are not required to do so.  You may also have to wait for a mail-in rebate if you go through a store, online the rebate is instant.  Call around, different stores may have different prices.

• 4. Re: Same price at store as it is online to upgrade?
                johnita36

Most of the time you will pay 299 in the store and then receive a 100 rebate card in the mail. Typically about 3 - 6 weeks later. So if you prefer an instant rebate it's usually best to order the phone online. At least that's the way it's always been when I have purchased phones. When I went to get my enV touch back June 2009 I was going to have to pay around 200 in the store so I came home and ordered it online and got it for 99.00 no waiting for the rebate card.

Johnita

• 5. Re: Same price at store as it is online to upgrade?
                  johnita36

The bit about the data plan isn't really in fine print I can see it just fine when viewing the phones and as far as the overages, if you get unlimited data you shouldn't be going over.

Johnita

• 6. Re: Same price at store as it is online to upgrade?
                    marl

Not really, Its $299 at the store and then a 22 week wait for a $100 debit card. Not quite the same as $199 online....

• 7. Re: Same price at store as it is online to upgrade?
                      spottedcatfish

marl wrote:

Not really, Its $299 at the store and then a 22 week wait for a $100 debit card. Not quite the same as $199 online....

I believe the published time frame for the mail-in rebates is 4-6 weeks.  You should definitely call their rebate center if you've been waiting 22 weeks.  Pre-submitting your rebate online to get a tracking number can also help you make sure things are being recieved and processed in a timely fashion.

I think the major difference between the mail-in and instant rebates is not so much the time as the gaurentee.  With a mail-in rebate, you could screw up, the mail could get lost, Verizon could screw up, and any of that could cause you not to get your rebate.

• 8. Re: Same price at store as it is online to upgrade?
                        SuzyQ

marl wrote:

It's all a matter of semantics and perspective ....  the price of the phone, with a 2 year contract, is $299.99 - and then there is a $100 rebate so the net is $199.99.  IF you purchase the phone online, they will apply the rebate "instantly" and directly against the cost of the phone.  IF you buy the phone in-store, the rebate is of the mail-in variety, with many possibilities for something going wrong.

Buying on line, for us, was painless - and I intend to continue to buy online if at all possible.  I'll go to the stores to play with the phone(s) I'm considering, talk to the reps, and then go home and order online.