5 Replies Latest reply: Nov 26, 2011 11:59 PM by spottedcatfish RSS

Contract Transfer

lano243

I've searched around for this answer, and haven't been able to find anything, so I'm hoping someone here can help.

If I have someone willing to take over my plan, what exactly are the terms and conditions of transferring my contract to them?  Will I be able to port my number elsewhere, and they can receive a new number?  I currently have a 2-line family plan, but my job is through AT&T, and they want me to transfer over.  I would like to keep my number, but be able to transfer my contract to someone else.  Also, once that person has taken over my plan, will they have the option to switch plans themselves (e.g. have more or less minutes per month?  opt out of text messaging?)?

Thanks!

• 1. Re: Contract Transfer
          spottedcatfish

Your contract is tied to your phone number.  If you want to keep your number, you'll have to pay the ETF or wait until it is out of contract to port it to AT&T.

If you want to let this other person have your number, you can do an Assumption of Liability which will transfer the phone and contract (with its current end date) to the new owner once they have passed a credit check and paid any neccessary deposit.

• 2. Re: Contract Transfer
            Alkene

spottedcatfish wrote:

Your contract is tied to your phone number.  If you want to keep your number, you'll have to pay the ETF or wait until it is out of contract to port it to AT&T.

If you want to let this other person have your number, you can do an Assumption of Liability which will transfer the phone and contract (with its current end date) to the new owner once they have passed a credit check and paid any neccessary deposit.

When I called in to transfer my wifes contract into my name I was told that the contracts would reset to 1 year if they were less than one year at the time of transfering the contract.  Was I mis-informed?

• 3. Re: Contract Transfer
              spottedcatfish

Unless the policy has changed recently, yes.  I did an AoL to take over my line with 5 months remaining on my contract about a year ago and my contract kept its end date.

• 4. Re: Contract Transfer
                Stevei

My sons contract expires 12/01/2011. My daughter who is 21 didn't need me to provided cell phone for her anymore and besides her phone was bought out right on eBay. All I wanted to do was transfer my sons number to my daughters contract. But no I have to pay a 160.00 termination fee. Verizon is lame, I'm not trying to get out of my contract, I am wanting to move it. There would have been no money lost for either party, but now since my sons contract ends in December, I am thinking serious about getting rid of Verizon for good. I could have gone into any local Verizon store and signed the contract for my sons phone to be switched to his sisters contract so that Verizon had their paper trail. I am so glad that Consumer Reports is keeping pressure on Congress to stop companies like Verizon from charging us the customer these unfair fees. Come on folks this is a cell phone not a mortgage or a bank loan. I want to say to that last two customer service reps I spoke with at Verizon if I came across rude to anyone, I do apologize. I realize your just doing your job and your following orders from the people in the Ivory towers.

• 5. Re: Contract Transfer
                  spottedcatfish

What were you trying to do?  If your daughter didn't want cell service any more and she wasn't under contract, you are able to cancel her line without penalty.

Numbers CANNOT be moved between contracts, period.  The contract is tied to the number.  So there would be no way to transfer the "out of contract" status from one line (your daughter's) to another (your son's).  This is standard with any contract cell service provider.

Phones CAN be swapped around all you like.  You can do it yourself, or get help over the phone or in a corporate store.  Verizon doesn't care where the equipment ends up, as long as the line of service is maintained for the contract period, you won't be charged an Early Termination Fee.