1 2 Previous Next 17 Replies Latest reply: Aug 5, 2010 6:59 AM by cthomas75 RSS

Seriously slow 3G speeds

steven6282

Hello, I'm writing to inquire about some seriously slow 3G speeds.  Have been having problems with sluggishness downloading apps on my android phone (EDIT: Original Motorola Droid) from the market so me and a friend got together to do some tests.  He is on AT&T and has a Nexus One android phone.  We tested multiple locations around the state of SC, in every situation even though I had stronger signal strength (in each test I was between -73 and -86db signal he was between -88 and -96) he always had faster download speeds.  And not just slightly faster, he obliterated my speeds.  In one locaiton, I had -73db signal, he had -94db, my download speed over 5 tests averaged 40kbs, his average 1842kbs.  Almost all the test results are like this the closest test was when I averaged 621kbs over 5 tests, and he averaged 1402kbs.  My average over all tests (50 tests in 10 different locations in sc, 5 tests per location) was 223kbs, his was 1561kbs.

Is this the norm for verizon's 3G speeds?  If so I may have to strongly consider opening an AT&T account.

EDIT: Added phone type, verizon is my service provider obviously.

Also to note, all speed testing was done using the SpeedTest.net application available in the market.  We always used the Columbia, SC server for consistency.

• 1. Re: Seriously slow 3G speeds
          budone

Interesting you gave great detail to what phone and service they have, but no mention of what you are using.

• 2. Re: Seriously slow 3G speeds
            steven6282

Sorry, obviously I'm using verizon since I'm on this website hehe, my phone is the original Motoroal Droid.

• 3. Re: Seriously slow 3G speeds
              budone

Thanks. Now which site did you two use to test?  Did you each access the site at the same time at the same location?

If consistantly the same site (I assume a speedtest type of site) was the cache cleared everytime?

• 4. Re: Seriously slow 3G speeds
                steven6282
                I added that info to the original post already, but we used the speedtest.net app from the market. Always using the columbia, sc server for consistency.
                • 5. Re: Seriously slow 3G speeds
                  budone

steven6282 wrote:
                  I added that info to the original post already, but we used the speedtest.net app from the market. Always using the columbia, sc server for consistency.

Sorry another question. Did the other person have WiFi turned on?

Did you try another location than Columbia??  It could be the tracert to there via ATT is cleaner than Verizon.

I am too far away to test there via my phone, but I did try on my laptop. Columbia was the slowest connection from that area. Even Sumpter which has a higher Ping was much quicker.

• 6. Re: Seriously slow 3G speeds
                    steven6282

No he didn't have wifi turned on lol, I'm smart enough to have realized if it was something simple causing a large difference like that.

And we did try a couple other servers when we first started testing but settled on Columbia for consistency with all the other tests since it was a central location.  The other servers we tried when we first started all had similar results, I did not however record the data at that time to say exactly what they were.

It definitely was not just a poor route from verizon to the server, the whole thing that started this as I said in my original post was because I was noticing very sluggish speeds to begin with when downloading apps from the market and surfing the web on my phone.  So it isn't just poor speed test results that I'm basing my observation of slow 3G speeds on.

• 7. Re: Seriously slow 3G speeds
                      budone

Trying to come up with ideas. What is the PRL presently on the Phone? 

I did some tests here using that app. My signal  is between -94 to -98 and the speeds are nothing special, but faster than yours.

Also I believe the signal strength is for voice, not necessarily 3G.

Try downloading Real Signal. It measures 3G signal separately.

• 8. Re: Seriously slow 3G speeds
                        steven6282

I didn't know what PRL was but looked it up and found it, it shows 30058, I called *228 and did the roaming update to make sure it was up to date, and it did not change so assuming that is the most rescent version for my area.

Researching on the net some it looks like this is an Alltel PRL version.  This is probably due to the fact that I was with Alltel before it merged with Verizon and have not converted to a verizon package.

I downloaded that Real Signal app, where I'm at atm my EVDO signal is -3.

Speedtest.net down results

Columbia, SC: 147kbps

Sumter, SC: 168kbps

Atlanta, GA: 236kbps

Charlotte, NC: 223kbps

Average: 193.5kbps

• 9. Re: Seriously slow 3G speeds
                          budone

steven6282 wrote:

I didn't know what PRL was but looked it up and found it, it shows 30058, I called *228 and did the roaming update to make sure it was up to date, and it did not change so assuming that is the most rescent version for my area.

Researching on the net some it looks like this is an Alltel PRL version.  This is probably due to the fact that I was with Alltel before it merged with Verizon and have not converted to a verizon package.

I downloaded that Real Signal app, where I'm at atm my EVDO signal is -3.

Speedtest.net down results

Columbia, SC: 147kbps

Sumter, SC: 168kbps

Atlanta, GA: 236kbps

Charlotte, NC: 223kbps

Average: 193.5kbps

We found the issue. You have an Alltel PRL. I have one also, I think it is 40043. Until the area is combined you will have issues. My SID is now 21 which is a combined SID. So here my phone looks for a Verizon or Alltel tower as level one.With a Smartphone you should not have a 3xxxx PRL.

Once I leave this area and got to wherre there is not a combined area, my phone looks for an Alltel tower first, then a Verizon tower.

1 2 Previous Next