5 Replies Latest reply: Jul 14, 2010 6:40 PM by SuzyQ RSS

Upgrade: You have to change your plan...

DMacL

I have an account where the primary phone is an ENV Touch with unl data and texting and 1400 shared mins.  We also have two ENV2 phones (with unl data and text) and a Samsung with unl text, but no data.  The LG's are all up in Feb 2011, the Samsung is Apr 2012.

So..  I am starting to look around at upgrading my phone to one of the Android phones.  The web site states "you have to change your plan" - which I knew would happen.  My question is...  Can I get an Android-type phone for myself, but:

(a) upgrade the ENV2s to somethining similar to what they have now

(b) leave the Samsung as it is

I know I will have to pay more in SERVICE no matter what I do (e.g., buy a $9.99 data plan for the Samsung), but can I have an account with "mixed" phone types on them?  For example, today I can't mix a Blackberry with a regular phone.

I am really looking at having my phone as the primary phone and add the other "family" phones to the account as add ons - for $9.99 or $29.99/month or whatever it will cost.

• 1. Re: Upgrade: You have to change your plan...
          SuzyQ

DMacL wrote:

I have an account where the primary phone is an ENV Touch with unl data and texting and 1400 shared mins.  We also have two ENV2 phones (with unl data and text) and a Samsung with unl text, but no data.  The LG's are all up in Feb 2011, the Samsung is Apr 2012. This sounds like the Family Premium....a heckuva deal compared to what is offered now.  Unless you keep your phones the same or use older phones, there is no way to keep the plan you have when you upgrade   :smileysad:

So..  I am starting to look around at upgrading my phone to one of the Android phones.  The web site states "you have to change your plan" - which I knew would happen.  My question is...  Can I get an Android-type phone for myself, but:

(a) upgrade the ENV2s to somethining similar to what they have now

(b) leave the Samsung as it is

Yes, you CAN do all this.  What will happen to your account (keeping minutes and features as close to what you have now with your conditions taken into account) is this:

Plan would change to the Talk and Text with 1400 shared minutes and unlimited texting for ALL lines - $139.97

(a) The Env2 upgrade would be to the Env3 - very similar phone, but it now requires an additional $9.99 data plan - add $19.98 to the $139.97 for 25 MB data allowance on each of the Env3's.  Or choose an LG Cosmos or other "feature" phone that does NOT require a data plan.  If you want unlimited data for the Env3's, as you have now on the Env2's, it would add $59.98 to the $139.97 ($29.99 for each line).

(b) Samsung can remain as is - no additional charges; if it is already on your account with no data, it can stay that way.

Adding the Android as the primary will add another $29.99 for the data plan - no ther option on that phone.

Total it all up, and to keep all your phones with the options they have now, (unlimited text, data, 1400 shared minutes), upgrade the ENV2's to EnV3's, and add the Android as the primary, you would be looking at a bill of $229.94 in monthly service.  Yeah....ouch! 

Cut the ENv3's to the minimum ($9.99, 25 MB data plan) and you can save $40; the bill would be $189.94.  Or (up?)grade to phones that don't require data, shave another $19.98 off, but then those two with the Env2 phones currently that are used to having unlimited data will have some adjusting to do.

I know I will have to pay more in SERVICE no matter what I do (e.g., buy a $9.99 data plan for the Samsung), but can I have an account with "mixed" phone types on them?  For example, today I can't mix a Blackberry with a regular phone.

I am really looking at having my phone as the primary phone and add the other "family" phones to the account as add ons - for $9.99 or $29.99/month or whatever it will cost.

Hope this hasn't confused things....post back if you have more questions....

• 2. Re: Upgrade: You have to change your plan...
            DMacL

Thanks Ms. Q...

Yes, I am lucky on my existing plan and was able to somehow add that Samsung on this past April without changing plans.

I am ready to take the hit on the cost since it is really just an extra $10 ($19.99/months now for unl text and data going to $29.99/month) for each of the ENV2 phones.  Assuming my logic is correct...

I am happy about the Samsung though - I was surprised I could keep that one as is.  I was under the impession that I needed to add a $9.99 data plan to it.

As far as the "Talk and Text" base charge goes...  it is what it is...  I am lucky enough to get a nice corporate discount on the primary line so that helps out a lot.

• 3. Re: Upgrade: You have to change your plan...
              SuzyQ

DMacL wrote:

Thanks Ms. Q...

Yes, I am lucky on my existing plan and was able to somehow add that Samsung on this past April without changing plans.

I am ready to take the hit on the cost since it is really just an extra $10 ($19.99/months now for unl text and data going to $29.99/month) for each of the ENV2 phones.  Assuming my logic is correct...  I think it would work out to be an extra $20 per line for the Env's - you now pay $9.99 for the line and $10 for the data, per line, for unlimited.  Under the new plan, you would pay $9.99 for the line (and this is part of the $139.97 for 4 lines), and $29.99 PER LINE for the unlimited data, or $39.98 per line for the Env's.

I am happy about the Samsung though - I was surprised I could keep that one as is.  I was under the impession that I needed to add a $9.99 data plan to it. Which Samsung phone is it?

As far as the "Talk and Text" base charge goes...  it is what it is...  I am lucky enough to get a nice corporate discount on the primary line so that helps out a lot.  The primary line accounts for $109.99 of the base charge - that's what your disocunt will apply to.  Each of the additional lines adds $9.99, for a total of $139.97.

• 4. Re: Upgrade: You have to change your plan...
                DMacL

SuzyQ wrote:

DMacL wrote:

Thanks Ms. Q...

I am ready to take the hit on the cost since it is really just an extra $10 ($19.99/months now for unl text and data going to $29.99/month) for each of the ENV2 phones.  Assuming my logic is correct...  I think it would work out to be an extra $20 per line for the Env's - you now pay $9.99 for the line and $10 for the data, per line, for unlimited.  Under the new plan, you would pay $9.99 for the line (and this is part of the $139.97 for 4 lines), and $29.99 PER LINE for the unlimited data, or $39.98 per line for the Env's.

Yes... you are correct...  I can't really escape that added though - unless I analyze usage and see that the users of these phones never use more than the amount included in the $9.99/month data data tier (even adding in the per megabyte charges over the $9.99 cap).  My guess is that they don't and will continue not to use a ton of data unless I get them an "app" phone or one that is easier to browse with.

I am happy about the Samsung though - I was surprised I could keep that one as is.  I was under the impession that I needed to add a $9.99 data plan to it. Which Samsung phone is it?  

Samsung Intensity

As far as the "Talk and Text" base charge goes...  it is what it is...  I am lucky enough to get a nice corporate discount on the primary line so that helps out a lot.  The primary line accounts for $109.99 of the base charge - that's what your disocunt will apply to.  Each of the additional lines adds $9.99, for a total of $139.97.

Correct, my discount is on the primary line only and would be taken off the $109.99 figure. 

In the end, I have always looked at it as it being cheaper to add another line to my account for my mother, mother in law, etc. than having them get their own accounts.  So even at $40 per line (plus tax) - it is cheaper than them having a one line account.  And it gets me some brownie points since I end up paying for it... :smileyhappy:

Samsung
                Intensity

• 5. Re: Upgrade: You have to change your plan...
                  SuzyQ

The Samsung Intensity is considered a "feature" phone and does NOT require a data plan.

And it looks like you understand the workings of your plan pretty well and what it will cost and IS costing you...

Be advised that when it comes time to upgrade in February (or November, if February is your contract date), things may have changed as far as plans go....so just stay informed.  Since you already have a good handle on what you HAVE, incorporating changes as they occur shouldn't be too painful.  :smileyhappy: