1 2 Previous Next 11 Replies Latest reply: Oct 27, 2010 9:05 PM by kpm RSS

HAD ENOUGH WITH VERIZON'S DECEPTIVE PRACTICES

Silverado

I've been a Verizon customer for over 10 years both home and wireless.  OVER AND OVER again, my plans have changed, prices increased, wireless bills inlcuded premium text charges, DATA MEGABYTE USAGE when EVERYTHING on our 4 phones is blocked, and so on and so on.  I would call about the increases in my land line charges and the rep would say, oh, you would like to change that plan back, we could do that for you and you could save $30 a month.  I would say, who approved the change in the first place and they would say, oh, you must have received something in the mail..........I receive more junk mail from verizon than anyone else combined, who reads all that crap?

For years I have had four phones on a family plan.  I love how they tell you YOU CAN ALWAYS CHANGE YOUR PLAN FOR FREE - then they expect you to sign up for a two year extension without giving you new phones.......I love how many times I have had to call to have charges removed when phones on my plan weren't even being used.....press the wrong button and whoa  $1.99 megabyte charge buried in your bill....$1.99 times HOW MANY customers??  SEEMS LIKE THE FCC should investigate...OH THEY Have and Verizon kind of said it doesn't happen, then they said it does, but they don't know why....NOW IF I WANT ANY PHONE OTHER THAN AN OLD SCHOOL SAMSUNG, verizon FORCES ME TO ADD AT :LEAST A $9.99 DATA plan charge...TIMES 4 phones on my plan that is another $40.00 per month.  BUT wait there will be automatic billing for anything over that small data allowance - if I want to stop my sons from going over the data allowance , I would have to PAY ANOTHER 4.99 per phone, per month to have parental control.

THIS IS just robbery.  I can't believe there hasn't been a class action suit.  Now when I want to switch carriers, I have early termination fees four all phones because the plans now end at different times on my family plan.  If it is a family plan, why not keep everything in sync with the main line on the plan?

I have had enough.  I think it is time to go to the FCC, and some of the NEWS shows like Shame on You, News 4 NY, and any other news channel that may expose this deceptiveness.  I just wanted out of my contract to change wirelesss providers and also to change to optimum voice at home.  The landline change I can do w/o penalty, I think - you never know with these crooks, the wireless part I will expose to every news media I can.  After 10 - 15 years of loyal service, they are still screwing me and I have had enough.

Matt H

Huntington, NY

• 1. Re: HAD ENOUGH WITH VERIZON'S DECEPTIVE PRACTICES
          Lee-Lee

Whenever you change your price plan on the wireless side, that does not extend your contract. If you upgrade your lines at different times, they will all have different contract end dates. We are not in anyway trying to rob our customers, I do apologize that you feel that way. HTH!

• 2. Re: HAD ENOUGH WITH VERIZON'S DECEPTIVE PRACTICES
            Silverado

Well most other people on this board would disagree with you.  As would many customers I have overheard in the stores.

Family plans should be just that - ONE PLAN.  New dditions should be prorated to keep the plans in sync.

Forcing a data plan on me is wrong.

Forcing me to now pay $4.99 a month for parenal controls to limit that new $10 ($40 for my family) data service is robbery. 

I don't do business that way.  I would never trat my loyal customers that way and I have many.

I will be leaving Verizon for good as soon as my early termination fees expire.  Le't see, that would be about $200 a month for mobil and land line service. 

That is really too bad, because the service on the phones is very good - it is most unfortunate that the company's principles aren't.

(I do see that now when activating new phones, you will actually bring the downloaded applications along with the phone numbers - that is obviously why you are also charging the data charge - to make up for some of those lost proceeds....)

What a terrible practice it used to be to get a new phone and force people to purchase the applications and ringtones that they had already purchased from Verizon.............

• 3. Re: HAD ENOUGH WITH VERIZON'S DECEPTIVE PRACTICES
              spottedcatfish

While I agree with a great deal of what you said Silverado, there is a good reason why different lines on a family plan can have different contract dates.  Verizon offers three types of plan commitments to customers - 2yr contract, 1yr contract and month-to-month.  If you start a family plan and then later wish to add a line of service, you must choose from one of those options.  If you want your new line to recieve the benefits of a 1 or 2yr contract, IE a subsidized cell phone, then you must continue service on that line for the duration of the contract.  Attempting to pro-rate the subsidy to allow people with family plans to choose a custom contract length would be very difficult and I'd imagine too easy to exploit.

If you want all of your family plan lines to stay in sync, start them at the same time and upgrade all of them at the same time.  You can also leave some of your lines month-to-month after your contract expires so that all of your lines can get back in sync.

• 4. Re: HAD ENOUGH WITH VERIZON'S DECEPTIVE PRACTICES
                Jixjix

I agree wholeheartedly. My husband just had his 2nf phone die. He went into the store to buy a replacement without extending the contract and they refused to sell him a phone. When he got home (since he couldn't call me because his phone is dead) I called customer service and explained the situation. The salesman was rude and very short with my husband. I explained to the agent on the phone that we had been customers for 7 years now and I was thinking about just paying the termination fee and going elsewhere. The agent told me he would send me a new phone at no cost or shipping. After 10 minutes of information processing, he told me the early termination fee would be going back to 175 and would be reduced $5 per month. He never told me that he was extending my contract! This is 2 strikes for Verizon today. If you were to start a page on a social networking site (I would give you my email or a website, but that is forbidden in the terms of use for this forum), I would certainly look for it and join you oin the class action.

Jackie

• 5. Re: HAD ENOUGH WITH VERIZON'S DECEPTIVE PRACTICES
                  lovesdogs

I'm in agreement with you!  I've sent complaints about VZW deceptive practices to the BBB and the Attorney General.  Let's not continue to allow VZW to get away with such deceptive practices just because they are big!

• 6. Re: HAD ENOUGH WITH VERIZON'S DECEPTIVE PRACTICES
                    jaymobe07

while this is not releated to verizon, but on alltel we added a line ot our family plan, using an old phone and they made it a 2yr contract. So verizon isn't the only one with bogus practices.

Good service though...lol.

• 7. Re: HAD ENOUGH WITH VERIZON'S DECEPTIVE PRACTICES
                      Prodigallink

Silverado wrote:

I've been a Verizon customer for over 10 years both home and wireless.  OVER AND OVER again, my plans have changed, prices increased, wireless bills inlcuded premium text charges, DATA MEGABYTE USAGE when EVERYTHING on our 4 phones is blocked, and so on and so on.  I would call about the increases in my land line charges and the rep would say, oh, you would like to change that plan back, we could do that for you and you could save $30 a month.  I would say, who approved the change in the first place and they would say, oh, you must have received something in the mail..........I receive more junk mail from verizon than anyone else combined, who reads all that crap?

For years I have had four phones on a family plan.  I love how they tell you YOU CAN ALWAYS CHANGE YOUR PLAN FOR FREE - then they expect you to sign up for a two year extension without giving you new phones.......I love how many times I have had to call to have charges removed when phones on my plan weren't even being used.....press the wrong button and whoa  $1.99 megabyte charge buried in your bill....$1.99 times HOW MANY customers??  SEEMS LIKE THE FCC should investigate...OH THEY Have and Verizon kind of said it doesn't happen, then they said it does, but they don't know why....NOW IF I WANT ANY PHONE OTHER THAN AN OLD SCHOOL SAMSUNG, verizon FORCES ME TO ADD AT :LEAST A $9.99 DATA plan charge...TIMES 4 phones on my plan that is another $40.00 per month.  BUT wait there will be automatic billing for anything over that small data allowance - if I want to stop my sons from going over the data allowance , I would have to PAY ANOTHER 4.99 per phone, per month to have parental control.

THIS IS just robbery.  I can't believe there hasn't been a class action suit.  Now when I want to switch carriers, I have early termination fees four all phones because the plans now end at different times on my family plan.  If it is a family plan, why not keep everything in sync with the main line on the plan?

I have had enough.  I think it is time to go to the FCC, and some of the NEWS shows like Shame on You, News 4 NY, and any other news channel that may expose this deceptiveness.  I just wanted out of my contract to change wirelesss providers and also to change to optimum voice at home.  The landline change I can do w/o penalty, I think - you never know with these crooks, the wireless part I will expose to every news media I can.  After 10 - 15 years of loyal service, they are still screwing me and I have had enough.

Matt H

Huntington, NY

I can accually help add some ease with this situation...

The reason why you are being charged 9.99 per phone is probably because your using an multimedia phone... Notice that you have an LG dare... This device is a multimedia phone, which does require the 9.99 data plan...  and the reason for it being automatically changed to that data plan is because your phone uses applications that use a lot of data...  More than a normal "feature" phone... And really is a safeguard, in most cases... Even though you block data transfer through account... You still have that fee on the account because of the devices, not the account, therefore the charge on each line. The same is to be said with the 2 year contract during an upgrade, it applies to the device itself, not the plan. The only thing shared through the family share plan is minutes and (if applicable) friends and family. Though I understand your fustration, it cannot be removed and is clearly stated before sale both by representative as well as price tag description before purchase... Also because of the phone being a "multimedia" capable device, it cannot be used on prepaid...  The only way to remove that fee is to change to a "feature" phone which does not have the capability of extensive data usage, and the same is said for a smartphone (I use a HTC Droid Eris), which require a 29.99 smartphone data and email plan. VZW is not trying to cheat you or pin fraudulent charges on you, and as a previous employee of vzw prepaid *I will not give details of employment nor am I still employed, and current knowledge is given to you by customer experience as a customer account holder* and the FCC will not investigate because on phone description *both in store and on website* it states that the 9.99 required plan is needed and must be added due to phone type, and is therefore your fault for not paying attention during point of sale...

As for the junk mail... The best way to resolve that is to alter your own online account to receive paperless billing statements, saves both the environment, as well as confusion or the possibility of the bill being lost in mail...

• 8. Re: HAD ENOUGH WITH VERIZON'S DECEPTIVE PRACTICES
                        MotorolaDroid

You seem to be confused, Silverado. This is a thread about Email Setup for a Droid device. If you want anyone at Verizon to take you seriously, you should go to a thread that pertains to the subject you're concerned with! :smileyhappy:

• 9. Re: HAD ENOUGH WITH VERIZON'S DECEPTIVE PRACTICES
                          spottedcatfish

MotorolaDroid wrote:

You seem to be confused, Silverado. This is a thread about Email Setup for a Droid device. If you want anyone at Verizon to take you seriously, you should go to a thread that pertains to the subject you're concerned with! :smileyhappy:

...what?

1 2 Previous Next