1 2 3 Previous Next 23 Replies Latest reply: Jul 7, 2010 9:45 PM by eywriter RSS

FORCED DATA PACKAGE WITH PHONE UPGRADE

Ryder435

I have been a verizon customer since cell phones were cool.  I started with a bag phone in my car.   I have 5 verizon phones.   Four on a family plan and one through a work plan.  

My son wanted to upgrade his phone today which is eligible for early upgrade.  I was very disappointed to find out that any decent phones available come with a mandated data package.   There are two options - for the really nice phones it is $29.99/month, for the basic phones like the LG Envy which I have now it is $9.99/month.   

So right now I spend on the family plan about $2000 per year on cell phones.  (It used to be about $3,500 before I got my work phone).   If we renewed to the basic LG Envy phones (which I like)  it would be an extra $40/month or $480 per year.  If we upgraded to the nice phones it would be an extra $120/month or $1,440 per year.  For unlimited data usage this is not a bad deal.  

There is only one problem - I DONT WANT IT OR NEED IT!!!!!!!!   I have computers at home with wireless, a laptop with wireless, an i-touch with wireless.   Also, my spouse or children do not need unlimited data or the internet on their phones!   Who wants to pay for a 16 and 13 year old to have unlimited data and wireless? 

I  spoke to Verizon customer service and they told me which phones are available with no data package.  Nothing against LG and Samsung but the phones available under those plans are garbage.   They have small screens and are pathetic little phones with limited features.  Even though I don't use the internet on my phone why wouldn't I want one  with a great camera, a large screen for pictures and video messaging?   

I realize from talking to customer service that they did surveys to see what customers wanted.  I guess I am one of the only people out there that likes advanced features on a phone with out the internet available to me at all times.  I don't agree with this.  Or is it just that it is more convenient to squeeze another $500 or $1500 per year from a family?   Why not double your sales when you can.  I know every other carrier is doing it which is why Verizon can force this on its customers.   Customer service reminded me of this several times. 

Could we afford donating this money to Verizon for no purpose? Probably but why the {word filter avoidance}
      would we?  No wonder so many people are in debt.  I think our money could be used better to send kids to college, pay the mortgage or invest it.   I think this policy is hostile towards customers.  If they really want to serve their customers offer the phones at higher price without a data package.  I guess that wouldn't work since Verizon makes its money from service agreements not the equipment.  

- Unhappy Verizon Customer looking for other options......

• 1. Re: FORCED DATA PACKAGE WITH PHONE UPGRADE

Keep the phones you have, nothing changes.  Get a simple phone, nothing changes.  Get a multimedia phone, pay $9.99 for data.  Get a smartphone, pay $29.99 for unlimited data.  Switch to another carrier.  Those are your choices.

• 2. Re: FORCED DATA PACKAGE WITH PHONE UPGRADE
            TedKord
            You have another choice, though some here don't like to mention it. File a complaint with the FCC. File a tying complaint with the FTC. Voice your issue with the BBB. Complain to Verizon. Let your friends know. You are not wrong on this issue.
            • 3. Re: FORCED DATA PACKAGE WITH PHONE UPGRADE
              oldputter

Ryder435 wrote:

I have been a verizon customer since cell phones were cool.  I started with a bag phone in my car.   I have 5 verizon phones.   Four on a family plan and one through a work plan.  

My son wanted to upgrade his phone today which is eligible for early upgrade.  I was very disappointed to find out that any decent phones available come with a mandated data package.   There are two options - for the really nice phones it is $29.99/month, for the basic phones like the LG Envy which I have now it is $9.99/month.   

So right now I spend on the family plan about $2000 per year on cell phones.  (It used to be about $3,500 before I got my work phone).   If we renewed to the basic LG Envy phones (which I like)  it would be an extra $40/month or $480 per year.  If we upgraded to the nice phones it would be an extra $120/month or $1,440 per year.  For unlimited data usage this is not a bad deal.  

There is only one problem - I DONT WANT IT OR NEED IT!!!!!!!!   I have computers at home with wireless, a laptop with wireless, an i-touch with wireless.   Also, my spouse or children do not need unlimited data or the internet on their phones!   Who wants to pay for a 16 and 13 year old to have unlimited data and wireless? 

I  spoke to Verizon customer service and they told me which phones are available with no data package.  Nothing against LG and Samsung but the phones available under those plans are garbage.   They have small screens and are pathetic little phones with limited features.  Even though I don't use the internet on my phone why wouldn't I want one  with a great camera, a large screen for pictures and video messaging?   

I realize from talking to customer service that they did surveys to see what customers wanted.  I guess I am one of the only people out there that likes advanced features on a phone with out the internet available to me at all times.  I don't agree with this.  Or is it just that it is more convenient to squeeze another $500 or $1500 per year from a family?   Why not double your sales when you can.  I know every other carrier is doing it which is why Verizon can force this on its customers.   Customer service reminded me of this several times. 

Could we afford donating this money to Verizon for no purpose? Probably but why the {word filter avoidance}
              would we?  No wonder so many people are in debt.  I think our money could be used better to send kids to college, pay the mortgage or invest it.   I think this policy is hostile towards customers.  If they really want to serve their customers offer the phones at higher price without a data package.  I guess that wouldn't work since Verizon makes its money from service agreements not the equipment.  

- Unhappy Verizon Customer looking for other options......

Dittos to TedKord!

There are many with situations similar to yours.  Our first of 5 lines just went month-to-month this week as there are NO UPGRADE OPTIONS to upgrade from an enV2 without the mandatory data surcharge of $120 per year.  If you are a facebook member you can do a search for Verizon and you will find a group there, several thousand strong now, that also agree and share your frustration.  You can also find links there to contact the FTC, FCC, Verizon, etc.   Take a look and join us if you haven't already.

• 4. Re: FORCED DATA PACKAGE WITH PHONE UPGRADE
                TheGreatOne

jimfitzgerald wrote:

Keep the phones you have, nothing changes.  Get a simple phone, nothing changes.  Get a multimedia phone, pay $9.99 for data.  Get a smartphone, pay $29.99 for unlimited data.  Switch to another carrier.  Those are your choices.

I have the LG Cosmos which is a simple phone, but don't use the phone. I did activate the phone and play around with it. It's okay. Gets the job done with messaging and calling features. The only down side that I find is there is no video recorder.

• 5. Re: FORCED DATA PACKAGE WITH PHONE UPGRADE
                  spottedcatfish

And remember, complaining is NEVER an option.  Businesses should be allowed to make decisions without having to deal with angry customers!

• 6. Re: FORCED DATA PACKAGE WITH PHONE UPGRADE
                    MojaveMoon_

jimfitzgerald wrote:

No, There are two more choices:

(1) three of the "multimedia phones" presently being sold don't require a data plan

- Casio Exilim

- Motorola Entice

- Casio Brigade -- "Data package of $9.99 or higher required or a $5 Push to Talk feature"

(2) Buy a discontinued phone that doesn't require a data plan. There are several places to buy such a device:  (link)(link)

"No Data Required Phone List"

http://www.howardforums.com/showthread.php/1637524-No-Data-Required-Phone-List

• 7. Re: FORCED DATA PACKAGE WITH PHONE UPGRADE
                      oldputter

Your Choices List is still incomplete, although spottedcatfish did allude to it.

Another choice you have and one many have taken, due to being on a Family Plan with multiple ETF's or just the principle of not wanting to pay for a service they are not using, is to stay and complain loud, long, and continuously to Verizon, FTC, FCC, News Media and anyone else that we do not like the current plan structure and hope that our combined voice along with competition from other carriers will convince Verizon to make changes...changes that will really be in the best interest of its customers (not the faux concern they use as one of their reasons excuses for implementing the mandatory data surcharge) and would, in my opinion, in the long run, bring more revenue and income to Verizon Wireless, along with keeping current customers satisfied and adding more new customers.

• 8. Re: FORCED DATA PACKAGE WITH PHONE UPGRADE
                        4grants

Same boat-very angry with Verizon. Unfortunately they are the only carrier that picks up in my area.

• 9. Re: FORCED DATA PACKAGE WITH PHONE UPGRADE
                          TedKord

oldputter wrote:

...in the long run, bring more revenue and income to Verizon Wireless, along with keeping current customers satisfied and adding more new customers.

I agree with this. It reminds me of Spirit Air deciding to charge up to $45 for carryon bags. They explained to us that this was for the customer's benefit, that less carryon will mean quicker boarding/deboarding, better efficiency. Now, does anyone with an IQ above 20 believe that explanation?

Right away, Southwest began touting that they had no carryon fees, and allowed two checked bags per passenger free also. Now, who do you think customers perceive as the company that is more on their side? Who do you think is picking up more business. (Hint: It's the airline that managed to keep profitable while the others were suffering in the recession)

If southwest were to follow the Verizon business model, they'd require the purchase of a oneway ticket to north pole with each ticket purchased to any other destination. Verizon, instead of using your marketshare to bully customers into product they don't want or need, make the product a value, and they'll want it.

1 2 3 Previous Next