1 2 3 Previous Next 21 Replies Latest reply: Jul 5, 2011 12:47 AM by keiffers RSS

Help! Are my texts being blocked?

Helena

How can I tell if my texts are being blocked?

Long story, short. My one friend and I got into a disagreement about a week ago. He said something about probably blocking my number. Didn't think he actually had the guts to do it.

Anyways. I tried to text him today, and when I did It kept saying "Message Failed" continuously. Does that mean that I've been blocked from sending this person texts? We both have Verizon.

Thank you in advance.

• 1. Re: Help! Are my texts being blocked?
          TheGreatOne

Helena wrote:

How can I tell if my texts are being blocked?

Long story, short. My one friend and I got into a disagreement about a week ago. He said something about probably blocking my number. Didn't think he actually had the guts to do it.

Anyways. I tried to text him today, and when I did It kept saying "Message Failed" continuously. Does that mean that I've been blocked from sending this person texts? We both have Verizon.

Thank you in advance.

Yes it seems like your "friend" has blocked you. That is the message you will get if someone has blocked you. You most likely have been blocked with text and calling from your mobile number. 

• 2. Re: Help! Are my texts being blocked?
            nmchileman

No. Getting a "Message Failed" error message does not mean your friend is blocking you.

If he DID block you your message would go through as normal, he would just never receive it.

Here's why: the blocking feature words behind the scenes in the switch. So in an ideal situation this is the way it works: the phone sends the message and it travels through the senders local switch and gets routed to the destination -- upon arriving at the local switch for the recipient it recognizes that this number should be blocks and drops the message.

So if you are being blocked by someone you actually have no indication of it when sending text messages. It appears to send like normal, the recipient just never actually receives it.

Message Failed means you're having some other sort of problem. Are you able to send/receive messages from other people?

• 3. Re: Help! Are my texts being blocked?
              TheGreatOne

nmchileman wrote:

No. Getting a "Message Failed" error message does not mean your friend is blocking you.

If he DID block you your message would go through as normal, he would just never receive it.

Here's why: the blocking feature words behind the scenes in the switch. So in an ideal situation this is the way it works: the phone sends the message and it travels through the senders local switch and gets routed to the destination -- upon arriving at the local switch for the recipient it recognizes that this number should be blocks and drops the message.

So if you are being blocked by someone you actually have no indication of it when sending text messages. It appears to send like normal, the recipient just never actually receives it.

Message Failed means you're having some other sort of problem. Are you able to send/receive messages from other people?

No nmchileman you are wrong.  When a person has blocked you, you will a message failed. I can prove it...check out THIS thread. You'll see a post by MorgranB that states that same thing I said. He is a Verizon Wireless Employee.

• 4. Re: Help! Are my texts being blocked?
                spottedcatfish

If you read further into that thread, you see this post from bosslady (Natavia, also a Verizon employee): "When a controlled MDN sends message to blocked number, user receives a free text message informing them that the number they are trying to reach is blocked by the Account Owner."

So it seems like if you have been blocked, you should be getting a message that specifically indicates that back to you from Verizon.  If you're just getting the "message failed" notice straight from your phone, that sounds like another issue might be at work.

• 5. Re: Help! Are my texts being blocked?
                  Helena

Yes, I can text and call other people just fine. It's jsut his number that is coming back with a "Message Failed" message. I'm not sure what to think. I'm hearing conflicting reports on what is really going on here. I tried texting him again a few minutes ago and got the same message. a friend of mine texted him and it went straight thru and he replied right back to it. Which leads me to think, he has blocked me. Any ideas?

• 6. Re: Help! Are my texts being blocked?
                    bosslady85

Try calling his number and if  you receive this message, (Welcome to Verizon Wireless. The number you were trying to reach has calling restrictions which has prevented the completion of your call)  your number has been blocked.

Just to confirm, If the blocked number is from a different carrier other than Verizon Wireless

After message is sent, a Message Sent with a green checkmark is displayed on the screen immediately after sending the message as also the Sent folder has the message marked with a green checkmark  

If the blocked number is a Verizon Wireless number, the blocked number will get a error message, message failed or invalid destination.

• 7. Re: Help! Are my texts being blocked?
                      nmchileman

bosslady85 wrote:

Try calling his number and if  you receive this message, (Welcome to Verizon Wireless. The number you were trying to reach has calling restrictions which has prevented the completion of your call)  your number has been blocked.

Just to confirm, If the blocked number is from a different carrier other than Verizon Wireless

After message is sent, a Message Sent with a green checkmark is displayed on the screen immediately after sending the message as also the Sent folder has the message marked with a green checkmark  

If the blocked number is a Verizon Wireless number, the blocked number will get a error message, message failed or invalid destination.

My sincerest  apologies for the misunderstanding.

• 8. Re: Help! Are my texts being blocked?
                        Helena

Thanks bosslady85,

I don't even have to call the number because I have gotten both messages "Message Failed" & most recently "Invalid Destination".

Thanks for confirming my suspicion.

• 9. Re: Help! Are my texts being blocked?
                          TheGreatOne

nmchileman wrote:
                          My sincerest  apologies for the misunderstanding.

Yeah I thought I was right about that. It's okay to be wrong though. For the feature you can always do a search here on the forums. Usually the correct answer will appear.

1 2 3 Previous Next