1 2 3 Previous Next 23 Replies Latest reply: Sep 16, 2011 3:14 AM by rayna RSS

Backup assistant not working properly - will not permanently edit or delete contacts

KB0404

I'm having problems with my backup assistant...  I have been logging in through my verizon, and making changes (editing or deleting contacts) however it is not making permanent changes.  When I'm making the changes, it shows up on the screen like the changes are being made; however if I log out and log back in - nothing changed!  It's so frustrating!  I have numerous contacts that I want to permanently delete off of my phone, but they keep coming back...  If I delete them off of the phone, the next time the backup is run (either manually syncing or running on it's own) the contacts keep reappearing.  Help!  What can I do?

• 1. Re: Backup assistant not working properly - will not permanently edit or delete contacts
          SuzyQ

I have deleted contacts online, and then waited for the next "sync" (which is like the next day, because I have mine scheduled for late night/early morning) and it seems to go through.  You can also try deleting them online, and from your phone, then letting the auto sync do it's thing.  I haven't seen any of my deleted contacts "come back".

• 2. Re: Backup assistant not working properly - will not permanently edit or delete contacts
            KB0404

Thanks SuzyQ for responding...  I feel like I've tried just about everything!  I've uninstalled backup assistant and reinstalled it.  I've deleted the contacts from my phone and online, and tried to sync - but whatever I do, they keep coming back!  I just deleted all of my contacts online and permanently deleted them from the trash.  And then I tried to sync my phone - and EVERYTHING came back!  I'm at a loss here...  Is there any way to try to remove backup assistant online and start over?

• 3. Re: Backup assistant not working properly - will not permanently edit or delete contacts
              bosslady85

Which phone do you have? Do you have your contacts saved to your phone or a memory card?

Here are the steps for deleting your contacts.

Sign into your online account and click Contacts.

Click View Contacts.

Hover over a contact then click Delete.

1. To delete multiple contacts at the same time, hover over a contact then click Select.
                Repeat this for each of the desired contacts.
              2. Click the Actions menu then click Delete.
              3. Click Delete

To edit your contacts

Click Contacts.
              Click View Contacts.
              Hover over the desired contact then click Edit.
              Edit the desired information then click Save.
              The following personalized contact items are not backed up when using Backup Assistant: Notes, Caller ID ringtones / pictures, etc.

• 4. Re: Backup assistant not working properly - will not permanently edit or delete contacts
                SuzyQ

KB0404 wrote:

Thanks SuzyQ for responding...  I feel like I've tried just about everything!  I've uninstalled backup assistant and reinstalled it.  I've deleted the contacts from my phone and online, and tried to sync - but whatever I do, they keep coming back!  I just deleted all of my contacts online and permanently deleted them from the trash.  And then I tried to sync my phone - and EVERYTHING came back!  I'm at a loss here...  Is there any way to try to remove backup assistant online and start over?

Some basic questions (and forgive me if they seem obvious, but you'd be amazed at some of the misunderstandings that abound.....)

If you are on a family plan, are you logging in to My Verizon with YOUR phone number?  (Each line has it's OWN log in and backup assistant account).  Logging  in with the primary account, then choosing your number from a drop down is NOT the same as logging in with your own number.  If you've swapped phones around, you may actually be connecting to the wrong contact list....

Which phone do you have?  Are you on a family plan?  Who is the primary account holder?  Does each line have it's own log in username and password?

• 5. Re: Backup assistant not working properly - will not permanently edit or delete contacts
                  KB0404

SuzyQ -

We have a family share plan with 3 phones, and I log into the system with my user name/password to pull up the contacts associated with my phone (enV touch).  My husband had a droid, and he is the main phone on the account and has a separate user name/password.  I am 100% sure I am logging in correctly, and all of the contacts I see are mine (not my husband's) but I just can not get them to permanently delete!  I can delete them, and they go to trash, and then I select all and permanently delete.  But if I sync after that just restores everything!  I've tried deleting them online AND deleting in the phone and then syncing, but they still come back.  It is freaky... 

Thanks for trying to help me - I must be the only one that has this problem.  LOL

• 6. Re: Backup assistant not working properly - will not permanently edit or delete contacts
                    SuzyQ

OK KB, try this for me?  Log in (and it sounds as if you are properly set up with BA connected to your number  :smileyhappy:  ) and delete contacts (again!!).  Then log out.  Don't sync.

Go to your contacts in your phone.  Delete as desired.   Don't sync.

Allow the BA to auto sync at it's regular time on the schedule you have set up (I have mine set to early morning/late night).

See if that clears your contacts.....

• 7. Re: Backup assistant not working properly - will not permanently edit or delete contacts
                      KB0404

SuzyQ -  Sorry for the delay - I tried that and it didn't work.  :smileysad:  It is SO weird.  Even if I get all of the contacts into the trash, and permanently delete, if I refresh my screen (f5 or click the refresh button) they all come back.  They aren't permanently deleting or even moving to the trash.  Oh well...  I don't know what else to do with this.  Is there any way to permanently remove the backup assistant associated with my phone number, and then try to reinstall everything?

• 8. Re: Backup assistant not working properly - will not permanently edit or delete contacts
                        sadie85

KB0404 wrote:

Is there any way to permanently remove the backup assistant associated with my phone number, and then try to reinstall everything?

Yes, delete backup assistant and redownload it. When it askes for your pin, select the option for don't know my pin (usually #), it should bring you to another screen, press the # button to set up backup assistant as a new user. This will override whatever is online and only backup what it is your phone.  

As long as what is on your phone is correct you should be good moving foward.

• 9. Re: Backup assistant not working properly - will not permanently edit or delete contacts
                          KB0404

sadie85 - THANK YOU!!!!!  That fixed the problem!  I don't know what the issue was, but I followed your instructions and it is fixed!  I can not thank you enough!  This has been SO frustrating, and it only took 5 minutes to fix!

:smileyvery-happy:

1 2 3 Previous Next