8 Replies Latest reply: Apr 9, 2011 1:36 AM by ix8ye RSS

    Call Blocking

    mfreedenberg

      We really need to launch an assault on Verizon's very, very limited Call Blocking.  In the call blocking part of Verizon Wireless, we are allowed only five call blocks from unwanted callers.  Yet, in the messaging and texting section, you are allowed fifteen free blocks.  I think Verizon has it wrong.  There should be at least 15 call blocks allowed.  My business phone is inundated with spam recorded phone calls all day.  Everybody and I mean everybody is soliciting with pre-recorded messages.  If I can only block five messages for free and don't want to spend the extra $4.99 for a few additional blocks plus services I don't need, I think Verizon should step up to the plate and include at least 25 call blocks for free.  I am forever getting new unsolicited calls and then have to figure out which one of the five I should take out of call blocking so I can put in another number.  A real pain in the {word filter avoidance}
      especially when I am traveling over the George Washington Bridge and it is dangerous to pick up the phone to check the number while driving.

        • 1. Re: Call Blocking
          sHaY_j

          Here are the following limitations for Call blocking:

           

          • Incoming call and message blocking is not available on International numbers.
          • Limited to five 10-digit phone numbers only.
          • Verizon Wireless Financial Services Call Center or collection agency numbers cannot be entered or blocked.
          • Caller ID Block, where not recognized, may not be blocked.
          • Call Blocking should not be provided to suspended accounts.
          • Call Blocking should not be provided to suspended accounts.
          • The Call Blocking feature only blocks inbound voice calls but blocks both incoming and outgoing messages to a number on the block list.
          • All blocked individuals receive the blocked Picture/Video message in their inbox, including the subject line. However they will not be able to view content body (text and multi-media items).
          • International numbers may not be added.
          • Call Blocking should not be added to past due accounts.
          • Other numbers on the account should not be added.
          • 2. Re: Call Blocking
            SuzyQ

            mfreedenberg wrote:

            ....  I am forever getting new unsolicited calls and then have to figure out which one of the five I should take out of call blocking so I can put in another number.  A real pain in the {word filter avoidance}
            especially when I am traveling over the George Washington Bridge and it is dangerous to pick up the phone to check the number while driving.


            Some phones have the option to only accept calls from those in your contact list.  Would that be workable for you? 

             

            Menu>>Settings and Tools >>Phone Settings >>Security >>Restrictions >>Calls

             

            Your security code is the last 4 of your phone number, unless you have changed it.

            • 3. Re: Call Blocking
              jes1842

              Fantastic answer.  Thank you so much.  I'm going to try this.  I have been receiving a ton of telemarketer calls.  We should have a "star number" on our phone.

              • 4. Re: Call Blocking
                budone

                 


                mfreedenberg wrote:

                We really need to launch an assault on Verizon's very, very limited Call Blocking.  In the call blocking part of Verizon Wireless, we are allowed only five call blocks from unwanted callers.  Yet, in the messaging and texting section, you are allowed fifteen free blocks.  I think Verizon has it wrong.  There should be at least 15 call blocks allowed.  My business phone is inundated with spam recorded phone calls all day.  Everybody and I mean everybody is soliciting with pre-recorded messages.  If I can only block five messages for free and don't want to spend the extra $4.99 for a few additional blocks plus services I don't need, I think Verizon should step up to the plate and include at least 25 call blocks for free.  I am forever getting new unsolicited calls and then have to figure out which one of the five I should take out of call blocking so I can put in another number.  A real pain in the {word filter avoidance}
                especially when I am traveling over the George Washington Bridge and it is dangerous to pick up the phone to check the number while driving.


                 

                Personally, I would not be attempting to talk on the phone crossing the GWB or anywhere in NYC while driving. I am amazed you are getting that many spam calls. I get ZIPPO.

                 

                Verizon offers five for free. That is five more than ATT. Take the five, or pay for more. Or get a phone where you can determine which calls ie contacts only, get through and others are blocked.

                 

                • 5. Re: Call Blocking
                  acraftylady

                  budone wrote:

                   


                  mfreedenberg wrote:

                  We really need to launch an assault on Verizon's very, very limited Call Blocking.  In the call blocking part of Verizon Wireless, we are allowed only five call blocks from unwanted callers.  Yet, in the messaging and texting section, you are allowed fifteen free blocks.  I think Verizon has it wrong.  There should be at least 15 call blocks allowed.  My business phone is inundated with spam recorded phone calls all day.  Everybody and I mean everybody is soliciting with pre-recorded messages.  If I can only block five messages for free and don't want to spend the extra $4.99 for a few additional blocks plus services I don't need, I think Verizon should step up to the plate and include at least 25 call blocks for free.  I am forever getting new unsolicited calls and then have to figure out which one of the five I should take out of call blocking so I can put in another number.  A real pain in the {word filter avoidance}
                  especially when I am traveling over the George Washington Bridge and it is dangerous to pick up the phone to check the number while driving.


                   

                  Personally, I would not be attempting to talk on the phone crossing the GWB or anywhere in NYC while driving. I am amazed you are getting that many spam calls. I get ZIPPO.

                   

                  Verizon offers five for free. That is five more than ATT. Take the five, or pay for more. Or get a phone where you can determine which calls ie contacts only, get through and others are blocked.

                   


                  I don't get spam calls either except a few political the last few days which is normal during election time because my number was our home phone number of 20yrs. that was ported over to the cell but I have always been very guarded with my number and I am on the do not call list.    Actually after porting the number from my verizon landline to my verizon cell I noticed a few months after you could not google our number and have our address come up so I guess we are out of the phone book now and I think I like it that way so may not do anything about it. 

                   

                  I am in a different part of NY and NY has the hands free law so I use a bluetooth while driving in case an important call comes in but I can't tell you how many times I have been cut off lately by someone with the phone up to their ear breaking the law and it irritates me.  Mary

                  • 6. Re: Call Blocking
                    budone

                    I thought NY had a handsfree law, but I was not sure so I did not bring it up. I just can not fathom trying to answer a call in NYC at anytime while driving.

                    • 7. Re: Call Blocking
                      acraftylady

                      budone wrote:

                      I thought NY had a handsfree law, but I was not sure so I did not bring it up. I just can not fathom trying to answer a call in NYC at anytime while driving.


                       


                      budone wrote:

                      I thought NY had a handsfree law, but I was not sure so I did not bring it up. I just can not fathom trying to answer a call in NYC at anytime while driving.


                       


                      budone wrote:

                      I thought NY had a handsfree law, but I was not sure so I did not bring it up. I just can not fathom trying to answer a call in NYC at anytime while driving.


                      I can't imagine that either.  I am very far away from NYC but even here traffic is bad at times and I live in the burbs.   Law went into effect sometime in 2001 here and a few years ago got the no texting while driving law due to a terrible tragedy of some teens that had just graduated and were on there way to a celebration an hour from here and they think the driver was responding to a text and crashed and all were killed, was very sad.  Mary

                      • 8. Re: Call Blocking
                        ix8ye

                        Thank you Suzy!! I am getting mortgage calls at all hours (I'm now turning my phone off at night). I got 27 VM's this morning. My Mother is in the hospital undergoing chemo -  and the last thing I want is to wade through all that to see what's up with her.  You saved me a world of hurt!  Thank you!