1 2 3 Previous Next 21 Replies Latest reply: Oct 27, 2010 8:48 PM by kpm RSS

Data packages!!!!

djskids

Why oh why do we have to pay for data packages we won't use? Why is it required for some phones? We should be able to get any phone we want, without being made to get a data package. I think it's lame and I am completely disgusted that Verizon is making us do it now! I pay enough as it is every month, and am now being made to get a crappy new phone because I don't want a data package!!! :smileymad:

• 1. Re: Data packages!!!!
          spottedcatfish

Yes, this is correct.  If you aren't willing to pay $10 extra each month, Verizon feels you should be limited in your phone choices.  They are doing this to increase revenue, and you should definitely complain to them via any channel you can if this change affects you negatively.  You should also investigate if other carriers may provide service and phones at a better price that meets your needs.

• 2. Re: Data packages!!!!
            djskids

I actually sent an email to Verizon customer service and my complaints were supposedly passed on to the appropriate area.

I have 4 phones on my plan and recently lowered my minutes because many were unused and to save extra money. And now if I want a decent phone(s) I have to pay $10-$40 extra every month. It's not right being punished when I'm a good and loyal customer.

I may check around with other carriers to see if they have better deals.

• 3. Re: Data packages!!!!
              spottedcatfish

That's a good idea, because it's really your only viable option to save money and choose a phone you like in the short-term.  In the long-term, hopefully Verizon will reverse this policy, but I wouldn't count on it happening soon.

• 4. Re: Data packages!!!!
                FrednLenny

had the same issue. picked a phone the website said did not require a data package. then the beloved data package charge showed up on my bill. rep said they had to charge me for it because the way my phone accesses email. I told him i dont use nor want that feature. was told there is nothing he could do. bait and switch. wonder if they learned it from direct tv or if verizon taught them...  hate verizon want to puke everytime i see a commercial

• 5. Re: Data packages!!!!
                  spottedcatfish

FrednLenny wrote:

had the same issue. picked a phone the website said did not require a data package. then the beloved data package charge showed up on my bill. rep said they had to charge me for it because the way my phone accesses email. I told him i dont use nor want that feature. was told there is nothing he could do. bait and switch. wonder if they learned it from direct tv or if verizon taught them...  hate verizon want to puke everytime i see a commercial

What phone do you have?

• 6. Re: Data packages!!!!
                    djskids

That's so wrong. I'm still ticked that they would do this. I don't think any of those phones have camcorders which is one of the things I want. Wonder if that means I wouldn't be able to receive video messages either?

• 7. Re: Data packages!!!!
                      trinitynsg

VERIZON,,,,,Read these msg and understand your customers are NOT HAPPY about having a mandate on a data plan. A rep on the phone explained to me that basically Verizon had a lot of customers call in not understanding why they had these very high bills. It was due to data usage, and the rep tells me that due to this Verizon felt they had to be more upfront about it and added the required data plan. It seems to me that if we sign an agreement saying x amount of data will be x amount of $ and we use the data we owe the $. Why big brother us. OR offer a different plan with increase perks with data available. Not to mention there ARE other companies that offer similar plans that Verizon has and the data is included in the already low monthly bill. My problem is that these other co. Don't necessarily have the same converge area as Verizon. I have been seriously leaving Verizon for the first time in like 10years? The qwerty board phones that state they do to require the 9.99 or 29.99 plan (available on line) are the Razzle, Cosmos and Intensity. I really don't like any of these and I REALLY want a qwerty board.

• 8. Re: Data packages!!!!
                        Coquidan

I had significant issues with my data plan also an then I read about the guy with the $18,000 data usage bill.  If Verizon expects people to want to get phones for their kids and teens, there needs to be an absolute control for data features - especially since they claim you can not shut them off.

Many simple ideas have been thrown out by the public to deaf ears.  One of the best being you can noever be billed more than you would have paid for the unlimited plan.  Someone posted at another site that AT&T did something similar for them on a roaming issue.  They had a high bill and the AT&T person apparently backdated them into the right plan and problem solved.  Supposedly AT&T called her to recommend it; it was not a result of a complaint.

Another suggestion is a text warning about overage about to occur on all issues - texting, data, minutes, etc....  Makes sense to me and they apparently do it in Europe.

The biggest trap though was the plan change that came up in the recent past which tossed everyone who had understood they were unlimited for a reasonable fee $19.99, I think, onto a limited plan at that fee.  This resulted in phone upgrade equalling high bill, if the salesperson glossed over the fact in a quick pass.  This is also an easy fix - go back to the data plans offered previously. DUH!!!!

I have suggested this to CSR online, to store people and even the email comment line.  They are "passing it on" and need to see if the customers are in favor.  How could they not be!!!  Wait, maybe they only talk to stockholders who are customer...I think I understand now.

• 9. Re: Data packages!!!!
                          djskids

trinitysnq,

The Cosmos and Intensity are feature phones so they have no data package. I'm thinking about settling for the Cosmos even though the camera sucks and it doesn't take video. I have a Glyde and can't get rid of it soon enough!

And I do think Verizon went a little too far assuming EVERYONE should be made to purchase the data because a few people didn't read the print. They should have been more specific about it and not punished the rest of us.

1 2 3 Previous Next