7 Replies Latest reply: May 3, 2010 2:07 PM by SuzyQ RSS

Switching from AT&T

rc2007

I am interested in switching from AT&T to Verizon due to bad coverage.

I currently have a family plan with 3 lines.  One of the lines is still under contract, so I will have to pay an early termination fee for that line. 

What is the process for switching to Verizon and keeping the same phone numbers?  Can part of it be done online/by phone?  If not, can I still get any of the discounts that you get by signing up online?

• 1. Re: Switching from AT&T
          TheGreatOne

Don't cancel your account with AT&T .  This makes it impossible for you to keep your same phone number.

Take your account information to your local Verizon store, including your AT&T account number.  The more information you can give Verizon the quicker the transfer process will most likely be. You might have to fill out  something to transfer your number.

You could start a new contract right now & get discounts on the phones you pick. When that AT&T last line is done with their contract just add a line to your accout.

• 2. Re: Switching from AT&T
            rc2007

Thanks for the reply.  I was looking at the website and it says that it will take about 4-24 hours to complete the porting.  Is this accurate?

There are still 13 months left on the ATT line, so i'm just going to pay the ETF.

I assume that I would not be able to get the online discounts if I signed up at one of the stores.  I was looking at doing it online and it seems pretty easy.  Is it possible to have one of the phones sent to a different address, or would they all have to be sent to the same address?

What if I want to get a new number? Would I be able to select the number from a list, or would it have to be a random number?  If I port my number now and want to change it at a later time, how much will it cost to do so?

• 3. Re: Switching from AT&T
              rc2007

Also, what will happen to my AT&T phones?  Will the AT&T lines be automatically disconnected and the account be automatically closed when the numbers are ported?

• 4. Re: Switching from AT&T
                tim600sl

I'm not 100% sure about verizon, but if you port TO at&t there's an option to port your numbers online, I would assume verizon does the same.  So I would try online first.  When you port your numbers out, your at&t account will be closed automatically,and etf's billed accordingly, so there's absolutely no need to call at&t. If you have any further questions don't hesitate to ask, and welcome to Verizon, the MOST reliable network!

• 5. Re: Switching from AT&T
                  tim600sl

rc2007 wrote:

Thanks for the reply.  I was looking at the website and it says that it will take about 4-24 hours to complete the porting.  Is this accurate?

There are still 13 months left on the ATT line, so i'm just going to pay the ETF.

I assume that I would not be able to get the online discounts if I signed up at one of the stores. Correct, if you go to store you would get a mail in rebate, best way is to do it online, instant discounts.  I was looking at doing it online and it seems pretty easy.  Is it possible to have one of the phones sent to a different address, or would they all have to be sent to the same address? If it will be on one order then the phones would have to be sent to one address.

What if I want to get a new number? Would I be able to select the number from a list, or would it have to be a random number? You would only be able to pick the area code and the prefix (first 3 numbers after area code)  If I port my number now and want to change it at a later time, how much will it cost to do so? I believe it's like $15 to change a number.

• 6. Re: Switching from AT&T
                    TheGreatOne

Ah I was too late & didn't reply back in time to answer questions...i lost :smileysad::smileysad:

Tims600sl...actually you can change your number online for free.

• 7. Re: Switching from AT&T
                      SuzyQ

rc2007 wrote:

Generally it seems to work that way, although I have heard of some features taking longer to fully port (like texting, or sending pictures).   And Verizon to Verizon seems to be active sooner than to out of network users/callers.  If things aren't working well after 2-3 days, a call in to customer service can help resolve any glitches that may have occurred with the port.

Your other questions seem to have been answered for now.....