1 2 Previous Next 13 Replies Latest reply: Jan 2, 2011 11:01 PM by OsheaG RSS

Unlimited International Data Plan

sr5544

I am confused with the "unlimited data plan" for Blackberry.

I recently signed up for the unlimited data plan as I was traveling to Europe. The VZW customer service rep told me that for $69.98 I would get unlimited data while roaming in Europe.

However, when I checked my plan features on the "My Verizon" portal, it shows up as "Global Email". I don't understand now if this calling feature is for unlimited data or email only?

I have been using BBM, Facebook, Google Maps, Weather App, etc. on my phone while roaming. I want to make sure that I won't have extra charges for roaming data when I get back home.

Can someone please clarify this.

Thank you

• 1. Re: Unlimited International Data Plan
          crimedoggies

sr5544 wrote:

I am confused with the "unlimited data plan" for Blackberry.

I recently signed up for the unlimited data plan as I was traveling to Europe. The VZW customer service rep told me that for $69.98 I would get unlimited data while roaming in Europe.

However, when I checked my plan features on the "My Verizon" portal, it shows up as "Global Email". I don't understand now if this calling feature is for unlimited data or email only?

I have been using BBM, Facebook, Google Maps, Weather App, etc. on my phone while roaming. I want to make sure that I won't have extra charges for roaming data when I get back home.

Can someone please clarify this.

Thank you

The Global email plan includes unlimited data in addtion to unlimited email use.  You will be fine.

• 2. Re: Unlimited International Data Plan
            Lee-Lee

Use your device as normal. The email application and internet browser will be the same. Some applications will not automatically synch when roaming. Refer to the application User Guide or your device manual for instructions. Any time your device is on and you have a network connection, you may be billed according to your subscribed rate plan. Disconnect your device when not in use to prevent accidental usage charges.

• 3. Re: Unlimited International Data Plan
              sr5544

Thank you for your response Alethia.

It still does not answer my question: Based on the existing "VZW Global Email Plan", which I have signed up for, will I be charged roaming fee for data when I check email, browse the web, use BBM, etc.?

Thank you

• 4. Re: Unlimited International Data Plan
                bosslady85

The Global Email feature for $69.99 does included global access to the internet as well as your email. You will not be charged for roaming when accessing the two. 

• 5. Re: Unlimited International Data Plan
                  msgmkt

I am in China and have this plan.  My phone is a BB world phone but I am not receiving any emails and cannot access the internet through the browser.  Are there some settings I need to change?

• 6. Re: Unlimited International Data Plan
                    bosslady85

Try changing the GSM mode.   The steps are below.  Take your battery out while the phone is powered on and place it back in, before you go through the steps.

GSM / CDMA Mode
                    From the main screen, press Blackberry.
                    Scroll to Options, press Trackball.
                    Scroll to Mobile Network, press Trackball.
                    Scroll to Network Mode, press Trackball.
                    Choose from

• GSM 
                    • 1XEV 
                    • Global

Press Blackberry.
                    Scroll to Save, press Trackball.

Select global.   Let me know if this helps.  

• 7. Re: Unlimited International Data Plan
                      eddieboca

Sorry, but your second response is ambiguous. I am planning to switch to Verizon from another carrier solely for your Global EMail plan, which I understand includes unlimited data in addition to unlimited e-mail for $69.98 a month (prorated if we're gone less than a month). It's a plan that sounds almost too good to be true, so I'm wary.

But this is what puzzles me. You say "use your device as normal." Then you say "Anytime your device is on and you have a network connection, you may be billed according to your subscribed rate plan. Disconnect your device when not in use to avoid accidental usage charges."

Now I'll admit to not being the most technically astute person. But if we're on the unlimited data and e-mail Global Email access plan, why would we be billed for any usage, aside from phone calls, which I consider separately from data use? Why would we be billed according to our subscribed rate plan if we've paid for the unlimited Global EMail access and data plan?

• 8. Re: Unlimited International Data Plan
                        eddieboca

Can someon official from Verizon please respond to the confusion about your Global Access Email plan? Whether I leave my current carrier and switch to Verizon hangs on what you'll cover in your international data roaming plan.

• 9. Re: Unlimited International Data Plan
                          bosslady85

The $64.99 and $69.98 Global email plans include the same features.  The only difference is that the $69.98 plan allows you to have a cheaper rate for Global calls and with the $64.99 plan, you will pay the flat rate for Global voice. Browsing the web is included with both.  HTH! :smileywink:

Monthly AccessFeature CodeEmail AllowanceGlobal Voice RateDomestic Voice Rate
                          BlackBerrySmartphone
                          $64.997352373524Unlimited
                          (Global and Domestic)
                          Standard Rate by destinationDetermined by Calling Plan
                          $69.987352573526Value Plan Rate by destination

Global Access is a high-speed global service providing a secure laptop connection to the Internet, corporate Intranet email, and applications through high speed global wireless networks while traveling abroad.

Monthly AccessPlan CodeGlobalAccessMobile Broadband
                          AllowanceOverageAllowanceOverage
                          $59.9977776N/A (Pay Per Use Rate)

Canada: 
                          $.002/KB

Mexico: 
                          $.005/KB

Rest of World
                          $.02/KB

5GB
                          (US., U.S.V.I., PR)

$.05/MB
                          (U.S., U.S.V.I., PR)

$129.9980176100 MB 
                          (in select destinations)

Select Destinations: $.005/KB

Rest of World
                          $.02/KB

5GB
                          (U.S., U.S.V.I., PR and Canada)

$.05/MB
                          (U.S., U.S.V.I., PR and Canada)

$219.9980266200 MB 
                          (in select destinations)

This is where the overages come in, if you go over the allowed megabyte usage.

1 2 Previous Next