6 Replies Latest reply: Jul 25, 2010 12:10 AM by acraftylady RSS

how much does it cost?

Cess02

Just got our new phones that were the new every 2, and started a new contract. We are thinking we want nicer phones now, before the 2 year (the phones we got were free with contract continuation thing). So if we upgraded phone, does that break the contract and we have to pay to break the contract. Or is it just upgrading the phone, do we pay full price for the phone?

• 1. Re: how much does it cost?
          spottedcatfish

Changing phones does not break your contract.  You can change phones or plans at any time in your 2-year contract without penalty.  As long as you maintain service you won't be on the hook for the ETF.

As far as getting another phone, you can pay full price through Verizon, or you can go looking for a nearly new or used phone through another outlet like Craigslist or E-bay.

• 2. Re: how much does it cost?
            budone

Verizon also offers reconditioned phones also at a reduced price. They come with whatever they would have new and have a one year warranty.

I have heard they require an extension of the contract, but there is no mention about that when I looked it up here.

Certified Pre-owned Devices

• 3. Re: how much does it cost?
              Cess02

can you get an unlocked phone, liike on amazon or something? What does unlocked even mean?? LOL!!

• 4. Re: how much does it cost?
                TheGreatOne

Cess02 wrote:

can you get an unlocked phone, liike on amazon or something? What does unlocked even mean?? LOL!!

Unlocked means a phone can be used on another compatible cell provider. It is hard to use an unlocked CDMA phone from another provider on Verizon. It's hard getting the phone activated. I have seen that it is possible though. As spottedcatfish said before use craigslist or ebay. I think you'll be better off with buying from either of those sites.If you want a cheap phone my suggestion would be to go for a new phone that has been out a long time on Verizon. Those will most likely be cheaper.

Becareful with Amazon. Their phones say get the phone at a special price, but usually to get it at that price you have to sign up for a new contract. Sometimes sellers (not amazon directly) will sell cell phones on there.

• 5. Re: how much does it cost?
                  MorganB

If you upgrade your devices then you are not breaking your contact. However, if you are not eligible for an upgrade then the devices will be full retail. I'd take some of your peers suggestions and look on ebay, craigslist or other sources.

• 6. Re: how much does it cost?
                    acraftylady

budone wrote:

Verizon also offers reconditioned phones also at a reduced price. They come with whatever they would have new and have a one year warranty.

I have heard they require an extension of the contract, but there is no mention about that when I looked it up here.

Certified Pre-owned Devices

I thought the certified like new ones you could buy if you were out of warranty and didn't have insurance not to just buy one because you want a different phone.  That is what I was told since we just went through this with my son but ended up replacing the replacement they gave him free since the replacement was also defective.  Mary