1 2 Previous Next 12 Replies Latest reply: Aug 20, 2010 12:40 PM by budone RSS

verizon coverage vs. alltel coverage.

luv2picmessage

So we went from alltel to verizon, Biggest mistake ever!! I never had issues sending pic messages on my alltel phone. When we upgraded our phones to verizon phones and also a verzion plan, all I've had is issues with sending pic messages, yet i can receive them, I can travel 2 miles and be able to  send. mind you I have 4 bars while attemping at home and it fails. sometimes it shows i have ev coverage, but as soon as i hit send for the pic it goes back to the bars. I have the rouge and my husband the convoy.  i can send a pic off his cell while its next to mine and his will send while mine fails.  Was on phone with verizon for over an hour troubleshooting, Get told its a defective cell, they send out a new one, tried the new one just to have it fail. Mind you i had to call to activate and deactivate the cell. and get told just *228 just to have that fail on me. and then they offer to send another phone. come on now the 1st wont send pic message from my house, the 2nd one did the same as the first. like the 3rd ones going to be a charm. yet according to the map i should have full coverage. so much for a data plan when i can't even do the simplist thing with my phone.

• 1. Re: verizon coverage vs. alltel coverage. verizon sucks!!!
          vereyezuhn

You didn't specify what you called *228 for.. Did you try dialing it to reconnect it to a tower nearest your house? I believe it's option 2?

If that doesn't work I suspect it's just the area your house is in doesn't have coverage. Which I don't think there is anything you can do about it except switch carriers to one who does have service there

• 2. Re: verizon coverage vs. alltel coverage. verizon sucks!!!
            spottedcatfish

luv2picmessage wrote:

So we went from alltel to verizon, Biggest mistake ever!! I never had issues sending pic messages on my alltel phone.

When we upgraded our phones to verizon phones and also a verzion plan, all I've had is issues with sending pic messages, yet i can receive them, I can travel 2 miles and be able to  send. mind you I have 4 bars while attemping at home and it fails. sometimes it shows i have ev coverage, but as soon as i hit send for the pic it goes back to the bars. I have the rouge and my husband the convoy.  i can send a pic off his cell while its next to mine and his will send while mine fails.  Was on phone with verizon for over an hour troubleshooting, Get told its a defective cell, they send out a new one, tried the new one just to have it fail. Mind you i had to call to activate and deactivate the cell. and get told just *228 just to have that fail on me. and then they offer to send another phone. come on now the 1st wont send pic message from my house, the 2nd one did the same as the first. like the 3rd ones going to be a charm. yet according to the map i should have full coverage. so much for a data plan when i can't even do the simplist thing with my phone.

If Verizon bought Alltell in your area, they also bought all of the towers, so I think tech support is right, your problems are likely related to your new handset, especially since the Convoy is able to send/receieve data just fine.

Some phones are defective, and every phone has its antenna built in a slightly different way that can impact reception.  Have you updated your roaming options on the Rogue (*228 option 2)?  If there have been any changes to towers in your area, this will get your phone the latest information.

Unfortunately, not all phones are built alike in terms of their ability to pick up a signal at a distance, and it sounds like the Rogue may not be well-suited to picking up the signal in your home.  Keep working with tech support, and you might also do some searching for Rogue reception issues to see if people have found other workarounds.

Good luck!

• 3. Re: verizon coverage vs. alltel coverage. verizon sucks!!!
              M91-30

the one thing I loved about my rogue was the signal quality and ability to pick up 3g everywhere. you may want to go to where you can send messages to try *228. once you successfully get your tower coverage updated, you will likely have the tower by your house available.

• 4. Re: verizon coverage vs. alltel coverage. verizon sucks!!!
                DogDaddy

I had a similar problem. With my Alltel phone, coverage was just OK. When we switched to Verizon the signal was too weak. But after a couple of months the signal started coming in stronger. Then I was eligible to upgrade my phone so I did. Now the coverage is wonderful!

• 5. Re: verizon coverage vs. alltel coverage. verizon sucks!!!
                  kenteoth

luv2picmessage wrote:

So we went from alltel to verizon, Biggest mistake ever!! I never had issues sending pic messages on my alltel phone. When we upgraded our phones to verizon phones and also a verzion plan, all I've had is issues with sending pic messages, yet i can receive them, I can travel 2 miles and be able to  send. mind you I have 4 bars while attemping at home and it fails. sometimes it shows i have ev coverage, but as soon as i hit send for the pic it goes back to the bars. I have the rouge and my husband the convoy.  i can send a pic off his cell while its next to mine and his will send while mine fails.  Was on phone with verizon for over an hour troubleshooting, Get told its a defective cell, they send out a new one, tried the new one just to have it fail. Mind you i had to call to activate and deactivate the cell. and get told just *228 just to have that fail on me. and then they offer to send another phone. come on now the 1st wont send pic message from my house, the 2nd one did the same as the first. like the 3rd ones going to be a charm. yet according to the map i should have full coverage. so much for a data plan when i can't even do the simplist thing with my phone.

If you have not gone 30 days, change the phones for different ones...I have a Casio G'Zone Rock, a Motorola Barrage, and a Casio Brigade, all with PTT. I have had no issues with the phones, messaging or area coverage. Call customer service and start from there. There are other options if your 30 days have not yet passed.

• 6. Re: verizon coverage vs. alltel coverage. verizon sucks!!!
                    bosslady85

Have you tried to dial *228 send and option 2 when you are in an area that is not extended network as M91-30 suggested?

• 7. Re: verizon coverage vs. alltel coverage.
                      budone

To the OP, are you still on an Alltel plan or a Verizon plan now.  Easy way to tell is if you have nights and weekends at 7pm. If so you have an Alltel plan.

Believe it, it WILL make a difference which plan you have until the two systems are assimilated into one as the Alltel plan does not look for a Verizon tower until you lose TOTALLY your Alltel signal.

If you now have a Verizon plan, the PRL looks for Verizon towers first, Alltel second. But in this scenario it can be fixed by CS by requesting a Hybrid PRL which puts Alltel back on top until the systems are combined.

• 8. Re: verizon coverage vs. alltel coverage.
                        James502

Wow!  First let me say I think Verizon has the best service of the carriers out there.  I travel throught the US, have famly in Georgia and do visit,  and can honestly say there have been very few times, less than 15 over several years, that I haven't been able to make a call or a call has been dropped. 

Also, between me and my daughter we have owned several types of phones from Verizon.  With sending pictures, there seems to be a setting or something that prevents the sending of pictures.  Unfortunately, I can't remember what the solution was in the past.  Bear in mind, like someone else mentioned it could be the phone, some phones transmitters are not as stong as another. 

I recommend going to a verizon location and have a tech look at it with you.  I'm not a fan of troubleshooting on the phone seems there goal is to get off the phone and on to the next call. 

• 9. Re: verizon coverage vs. alltel coverage.
                          jimfurr1

With Alltel I could use my phone 5 miles out into the Gulf of Mexico....Now it wont even work right on the beach!!!!!!!

1 2 Previous Next