4 Replies Latest reply: Apr 5, 2010 8:56 PM by crimedoggies RSS

Nightmare roaming story in the Cayman Islands

novatian
      I had a business trip to the Cayman Islands from 3/3-3/7 and ahead of my trip, activated Global Blackberry Email and roaming with my sim card (although they also have CDMA carriers down there apparently).  What happened next was truly frustrating and disappointing.  With my wife full term with our 3rd child, I wanted to make sure I was in constant communication with her via voice, sms, and email in case I needed to leave early and quickly travel home.  I also needed to work using my Blackberry while I was there.

From 12am-12pm on 3/4 my phone worked correctly.  I was receiving txts and voice/data worked correctly.  At 12pm, my phone ceased to work.  Voice, data, nothing worked...  I called Verizon's international tech support ($60 from my hotel room) and created a trouble ticket, etc... they couldn't fix it over the phone.  They identified the problem on 3/6 as being a roaming partner issue but since none of the roaming partners would work, allow me to make calls or receive emails, I find this hard to believe, especially since the phone worked for exactly 12 hours before stopping.  I also had about 40 other colleagues who had Verizon in the Caymans at the time and their phones worked fine.

My wife went into labor and could not email me to let me know.  Voice began to work again late on 3/6 but since I was flying out first thing on 3/7, it was pointless.  My data never worked except for those first 12 hours.  I was told by tech support that a EID or SIM number had been keyed in by Verizon incorrectly and it had locked me out of the international roaming system.  The problem could not be fixed.  My confidence has been shot in Verizon Wireless's ability to provide reliable international services...

Thank the Lord I made it home about 10 hours before my third child entered the world...  but traveling internationally with a dead Verizon Wireless phone that should have worked was a nightmare.
        • 1. Re: Nightmare roaming story in the Cayman Islands
          crimedoggies

Now this guy has a really valid complaint!!!

• 2. Re: Nightmare roaming story in the Cayman Islands
            novatian

Yesterday, Verizon Wireless made contact with me and offered me something that satisfied my complaint... they have restored confidence with me in at least their ability to respond and try to make things right once they realized how bad the situation was for me.

Thank you, Verizon.  I hope that my phone works correctly the next time I travel abroad, and please train your staff to double-check EIDs and SIM #s for accuracy, because a single digit being wrong can ruin a trip.

• 3. Re: Nightmare roaming story in the Cayman Islands
              mostlyundecided

I have had such bad luck with store staff not knowing the software they are using, or just being careless when entering stuff.

We have had a defective phone replaced only to find out the store staff entered it in the computer as a NE2 two year plan contract with the most expensive plan you could ever dream of.  We have added a line and had a phone number ported to it only to find out instead of replacing the new phone line number they replaced my phone number instead and then OFFERED MY ACCIDENTALLY REPLACED NUMBER TO ANOTHER CUSTOMER!!   Our plan has been messed up at least 3 other times by store staff, we went through 3 stores before we gave up - I now make all changes online, only use the store to look at the phones. We have 5 lines.

By making changes to my account/phones online I AM DOING THE ENTRY MYSELF and I care about what happens to my account so I am careful to enter data correctly. Guess what, NEVER EVER had an error like the ones above  when I did it myself online - why?  Because I care more about my account than some stranger in a store.

As a solution, I think Verizon should make services like entering the EIN number before you go to the Caymans available to be done by the customer  - let them enter those numbers, if they wish, while in the store, not just online...it makes sense it would be more accurate that way because the customer cares more about data accuracy on their account than the store clerk does, or at least it seems logical.  Part of the problem might also originate from the store staff having a case of TMI - Too Much Information to remember! All those phones they have to memorize features for that change every day, its TMI - so maybe they learn about the phones at the expense of learning how to do other things like update an account, which is also probably changing alot.

And as much as I avoid the store staff because of all the mistakes, I have to give kudos to the 611 customer service staff who have done an outstanding job correcting all the gaffs at the store level. 

Thought:  The Verizon store staff give the 611 customer service people job security, so if I were 611 customer service I wouldn't be complaining too much about the store staff...lol...which might explain why these store staff still have jobs even after messing up so many people's phones and causing distress like novatian had to go through in the Caymans.

• 4. Re: Nightmare roaming story in the Cayman Islands
                crimedoggies

mostlyundecided wrote:

I have had such bad luck with store staff not knowing the software they are using, or just being careless when entering stuff.

We have had a defective phone replaced only to find out the store staff entered it in the computer as a NE2 two year plan contract with the most expensive plan you could ever dream of.  We have added a line and had a phone number ported to it only to find out instead of replacing the new phone line number they replaced my phone number instead and then OFFERED MY ACCIDENTALLY REPLACED NUMBER TO ANOTHER CUSTOMER!!   Our plan has been messed up at least 3 other times by store staff, we went through 3 stores before we gave up - I now make all changes online, only use the store to look at the phones. We have 5 lines.

By making changes to my account/phones online I AM DOING THE ENTRY MYSELF and I care about what happens to my account so I am careful to enter data correctly. Guess what, NEVER EVER had an error like the ones above  when I did it myself online - why?  Because I care more about my account than some stranger in a store.

As a solution, I think Verizon should make services like entering the EIN number before you go to the Caymans available to be done by the customer  - let them enter those numbers, if they wish, while in the store, not just online...it makes sense it would be more accurate that way because the customer cares more about data accuracy on their account than the store clerk does, or at least it seems logical.  Part of the problem might also originate from the store staff having a case of TMI - Too Much Information to remember! All those phones they have to memorize features for that change every day, its TMI - so maybe they learn about the phones at the expense of learning how to do other things like update an account, which is also probably changing alot.  One of the issues with this, is that if a customer has their online password taken, anybody would be able to activate an international SIM and plan and run up a pretty hefty bill.  Since the change was made online with the customers log on, Verizon would have almost no cause to forgive the charges.  To eliminate this possibility all additions of international services are required to be handled by Verizon personnel.

And as much as I avoid the store staff because of all the mistakes, I have to give kudos to the 611 customer service staff who have done an outstanding job correcting all the gaffs at the store level. 

Thought:  The Verizon store staff give the 611 customer service people job security, so if I were 611 customer service I wouldn't be complaining too much about the store staff...lol...which might explain why these store staff still have jobs even after messing up so many people's phones and causing distress like novatian had to go through in the Caymans.