1 2 Previous Next 17 Replies Latest reply: Jul 5, 2012 11:41 AM by roboghast RSS

"Why Do I Need A Data Package?" - Verizon

bsoa123

From Verizons website:

Why Do I Need A Data Package?

With all the new content, easy access to email & web, and the fast speeds that our 3G phones offer, you may find yourself using your phone more often. A data package can help prevent usage charge surprises when your bill arrives.

Which data package is best suited for me? Data Package Option Best if you need mobile Internet for: Benefits Unlimited Data
      $29.99 per month

Required for all 3G Smartphones

• Frequently sending & receiving email
      • Heavy web browsing, updating social networking sites, downloading multiple applications and viewing video

Access personal email via Mobile Email, included at no additional charge, as well as access to the Internet. Have the peace of mind that comes with no overage charges. 25 MB of Data per month
      $9.99 per month

Required for all 3G Multimedia Phones

• Occasionally checking email
      • Limited web usage, like accessing online banking and checking the weather and sports scores
      • Download ringtones, music, applications and more

Great value for customers using 3G Multimedia & Feature Phones - especially with Mobile Email – a $5.00 value!

Get 25 megabytes each month to use however you’d like. If you are interested in applications to pass time or make your phone more useful, you can browse, download and use any application found with Media Center – from Mobile Email to Guitar Hero World Tour. Plus you can surf the Internet anytime.

How can I monitor my data usage?
      • Dial #DATA (#3282) + SEND from your wireless phone.
      • Sign into My Verizon on your wireless phone or your computer.

Did Verizon ever acctually answer the question "Why Do I Need A Data Package?" Is it because "you may find yourself using your phone more often"? Is it because "A data package can help prevent usage charge surprises when your bill arrives"? LOL, give me a break.

What VERIZON needs to do is offer their loyal customers the option to block data and any charges associated with it. They can technically do it; they just refuse to because they make more money charging you for it. Simple.

There is nothing about these "smart"phones that forces Verizon to charge you for a data plan as opposed to just blocking all data upon request. The maker (LG, Motorala, BB, ect.) does not require data be enabled on these phones. It is simply a greedy decision made by Verizon, one that may backfire with all of the negative publicity it is creating.

• 1. Re: "Why Do I Need A Data Package?" - Verizon
          Jmlullo

AMEN!!!!

The ability to block all data should be an option. I've never once needed to check my email, download a song, or go on the internet. And 25mb, ARE YOU KIDDING ME!!!! Don't forget, verizon rounds up your usage to the next whole MB. if you use 1.001, guess what??? You get charged for 2mb.

This is an absolute slap in the face to their customers and we should not sit around taking it. Don't complain to verizon because they will just tell you it's for your benefit... IT'S NOT!!! Go to the FCC and log a complaint, it's simple and takes only a few minutes. Tell every single one of your friends to do this no matter what network and soon we will get some respect.

• 2. Re: "Why Do I Need A Data Package?" - Verizon
            solara

Totally agree!!!!! I have a complaint with the FCC and BBB. I am to return a call to the BBB today. I do NOT need this media package for the ENV3 phone that I want to upgrade to. I do not use email or internet on my phone. I have a laptop that I use that for. I dont need to be paying for the same services TWICE (phone and at home). Blocks can be put on so outragous bills do not occur for those who dont know what they are doing. For those of use that do know what we are doing should not be forced into this new scam Verizon has come up with!!

• 3. Re: "Why Do I Need A Data Package?" - Verizon

Why in the world would you pay for a data plan you don't want?  Get a phone that does not require data or switch to another carrier.

• 4. Re: "Why Do I Need A Data Package?" - Verizon
                budone

jimfitzgerald wrote:

Why in the world would you pay for a data plan you don't want?  Get a phone that does not require data or switch to another carrier.

Slight correction, The phone does NOT require data, Verizon requires data. And I have seen in other forums the manufactures are upset also with this requirement as not nearly as many customers as before are  purchasing their products.

• 5. Re: "Why Do I Need A Data Package?" - Verizon
                  Disco63

jimfitzgerald wrote:

LG makes many of the phones that Verizon is requiring a data plan for.  Funny thing is that LG states these phones were not designed for internet usage.  They were designed for texting, listening to music, and taking pictures/video...all features that do NOT require a data plan!

• 6. Re: "Why Do I Need A Data Package?" - Verizon
                    budone

LG's handset sales dropped 20% quarter to quarter. This is even though in most emerging areas of the world sales increased.  Reason given was in N. America there is a push of customers to smartphones.

• 7. Re: "Why Do I Need A Data Package?" - Verizon
                      bsoa123

Well, since there hasnt been any change on this policy the time has come for me to leave Verizon. If im going to be forced to pay for a data plan anyway, it might as well be for a phone that I want. I pre ordered my HTC Evo today.

I cant say Im happy with Sprint charging an extra $10 regardless if your in a 4g area or not. I dont like Sprints policies anymore than I like Verizons. But my work does offer a 20% discount through Sprint, so no matter what its cheaper for me in the end.

Verizon, You could have easily kept me as a paying customer. I would have been happy with my "dumb"phone. All you had to do was simply offer me the choice of blocking my data instead of being forced to pay a ridiculous amount for it. But you didn’t, and now you have lost another customer.

To everyone else and current Verizon customers victims, keep fighting the good fight. Make your voice heard. And if they dont listen hit them where they hit you... in the wallet. Money is the only language Verizon speaks.

• 8. Re: "Why Do I Need A Data Package?" - Verizon
                        robbatnewyork

bsoa123 wrote:

Well, since there hasnt been any change on this policy the time has come for me to leave Verizon. If im going to be forced to pay for a data plan anyway, it might as well be for a phone that I want. I pre ordered my HTC Evo today.

I cant say Im happy with Sprint charging an extra $10 regardless if your in a 4g area or not. I dont like Sprints policies anymore than I like Verizons. But my work does offer a 20% discount through Sprint, so no matter what its cheaper for me in the end.

Verizon, You could have easily kept me as a paying customer. I would have been happy with my "dumb"phone. All you had to do was simply offer me the choice of blocking my data instead of being forced to pay a ridiculous amount for it. But you didn’t, and now you have lost another customer.

To everyone else and current Verizon customers victims, keep fighting the good fight. Make your voice heard. And if they dont listen hit them where they hit you... in the wallet. Money is the only language Verizon speaks.

I agree 100%. Anyone who has a problem with the new policy should follow the same suit, that's the only way to get your message heard. If you don't act, well the big bully won't stop abusing you. I have sent a couple email, one manager actually called (and tried to convince me that there are other "NICE" phones that do not require data plans. I didn't realize "nice" means "old and outdated") and I let them know that I am not happy and will tell other Verizon customers about this new policy.

My contract will expire in September, and if Verizon keeps this ridiculous policy till then, well, I am taking our three lines to either Sprint or T-Mobile. HTC Evo certainly looked good, I'll look into that one while other members of my family will get nice touch screen phones WITH NO MANDATED DATAPLAN.

• 9. Re: "Why Do I Need A Data Package?" - Verizon
                          sadie85

Wait, you're complain about Verizon requiring a data package for certain phones but you're going to get a phone with another carrier that also requires a data package? I don't understand. Yes Sprint is cheaper overall, but you're giving up where you can use your phone.

Anyway, last time I check Verizon isn't a nonprofit company. This is how they decided they wanted to turn a profit. You can disagree all you want (do you complain that a BMW cost more than a Kia too?) but it's Verizon right as a business to set their pricing structure however they deem fit.

1 2 Previous Next