1 2 Previous Next 12 Replies Latest reply: Jul 2, 2010 4:37 AM by lunabianca RSS

Storing voicemail password on the Palm Pre Plus to autodial

ka0174

Does anyone know how to program a voicemail password in the Palm Pre Plus so that when the voicemail icon is tapped, your password will autodial?

• 1. Re: Storing voicemail password on the Palm Pre Plus to autodial
          blamiya1

Unfortunately, there is no way to program your voicemail password into your device to autodial when you access your voicemail. This is because it becomes a security hazard for anyone to be able to push your voicemail button and it automatically goes into your messages.

• 2. Re: Storing voicemail password on the Palm Pre Plus to autodial
            BCSales

That's completely false.  Its a known phone issue. 

Additionally, many other Verizon phones will let you alter thier voicemail password speed dials...I have been doing this for years including smartphones.

This just adds to the known issue that Verizon isn't properly supporting, marketing, or selling the WebOs and Palm devices

• 3. Re: Storing voicemail password on the Palm Pre Plus to autodial
              kayphoonstar

Someone should tell Brittany that it apparently isn't a known issue for Verizon Tech support. I just spent an hour going through everything I'd already tried in order to try and get this phone's VM password programed in as I have done on every phone I've ever had (excluding the MOTO FLIP circa 1993).  There are several specifically aggravating issues beyond simply not being able to program the voicemail password and use the VM icon on the dialer screen.

First of all, the "P" does nothing on my Pre even though the Verizon website specifically directs the user to use the "P" for a pause - Actually the "T" works.  But the tech support had never heard of it.  He even got his hands on a phone to get try it out for himself - no go!

Also, one cannot use the "contact" entry for voice mail to use the locked "1" quickdial entry.  If one tries to enter the "T" or the "P" the autodialer just strips it out and then you get a message saying that the number you've dialed is no longer in service. 

So it turns out that this is the case no matter WHAT quick dial entry you use.  No way to get a pause to work using autodial! No way, no how.

"Brittney" from Verizon Wireless, Area Operations has no business saying that this is due to a security issue.  If that is the case then why are there instructions on the Verizon Website for any number of phones INCLUDING the Pre to just that very thing?  This is a serious programming oversight that is infuriating and needs to be addressed immediately. I honestly cannot believe that this is not mentioned anywhere in any of the reviews I read about this phone.

• 4. Re: Storing voicemail password on the Palm Pre Plus to autodial
                kayphoonstar

Just a quick update about the programing of the pause:  Apparently the CAPITAL "P' and CAPITAL "T" don't work the same as the small case 'p" and the small case "t".  Using *86tt[password] on the original Voicemail contact entry and an additional speed dial entry (I'm using "Q") on that original contact will get me into voicemal using a speed dial.

The most aggravating thing of all here is how UNDOCUMENTED this issue is.  I spoke to Palm support who claims that there is an update to address this issue in the works - but who knows.

Verizon should be able to support the phones they sell. PERIOD.

• 5. Re: Storing voicemail password on the Palm Pre Plus to autodial
                  oldgeekster

DOH!  I should have realized.... Unix/Linux filesystems have *always* been case sensitive.  I didn't even consider trying lower case commands until I just read your post.  Saved mine to speed dial 2 and works fine now.  THANK YOU!:smileyhappy:

• 6. Re: Storing voicemail password on the Palm Pre Plus to autodial
                    vkemp

I've done exactly as you describe and created a speed dial for this using #7.  Problem is I want to use speed dial #1 and the voicemail icon on the dialer card view.  How do you edit those preprogrammed numbers to include the password?

• 7. Re: Storing voicemail password on the Palm Pre Plus to autodial
                      kayphoonstar

vkemp wrote:

I've done exactly as you describe and created a speed dial for this using #7.  Problem is I want to use speed dial #1 and the voicemail icon on the dialer card view.  How do you edit those preprogrammed numbers to include the password?

You're question is the $64,000 question!  There should be a way but there isn't as yet.  Call Verizon and tell them that this should be possible.

• 8. Re: Storing voicemail password on the Palm Pre Plus to autodial
                        oldgeekster

I played with this arena shortly after purchasing my Palm Pre Plus and found that I can create another contact and assign it a phone number of:

*86tt_____ (fill in the blank with password digits but be sure to use lower-case "t" characters)

Then assign that "contact" to any of my other speed dials (think 2 thru 9) - and it worked in the expected manner.  For a while I had it assigned to speed dial 2...  Then found I needed another speed dial for a far more frequently dialed number so assigned speed dial 2 for that one instead.

I find it rather silly that we cannot reprogram the Speed Dial "1" or associated voicemail icon - but was satisfied with the workaround - UNTIL I ran out of speed dial entries. :smileysad:

• 9. Re: Storing voicemail password on the Palm Pre Plus to autodial
                          kayphoonstar

My ultimate solution was to get YouMail - http://www.youmail.com.  Visual Voicemail with e-mail notification.  Very inexpensive solution that works whether or not I have the phone right next to me.  I don't use the verizon voicemail at all anymore - speed dial free for other names!

1 2 Previous Next