3 Replies Latest reply: Feb 18, 2010 4:48 PM by SuzyQ RSS

Buying a phone at full retail is cheaper?

jenn571

Why is buying a phone ( Moto Droid) at full price cheaper, I guess in the long run, than just buying it subsidized when you renew your contract?  Does the price of the voice plan change?  Are there certain fees they don't charge you when you don't buy a sub. phone?  I'm trying to figure out if I want to buy a subsidized phone in June or if I just want to buy a phone either new/unsubsidized or on ebay and just continue on w/ my current plan.  I have the Nationwide Talk Family Share Primary 700 w/ 2 lines @ $70.  I currently have a BB Curve 8330 and my husband has a Motorola V325.  I guess I'm  trying to figure out what is the cheapest option.  Thanks!  (I hope this is the right place for this question)

• 1. Re: Buying a phone at full retail is cheaper?
          SuzyQ

Hi Jenn!

Let me try and sort this out for you...

jenn571 wrote:

Why is buying a phone ( Moto Droid) at full price cheaper, I guess in the long run, than just buying it subsidized when you renew your contract?  Does the price of the voice plan change?  No, the plan prices are the same, regardless.  Are there certain fees they don't charge you when you don't buy a sub. phone?  The ETF if you decide to switch carriers does NOT come into play if you are on a month to month contract.  I'm trying to figure out if I want to buy a subsidized phone in June or if I just want to buy a phone either new/unsubsidized or on ebay and just continue on w/ my current plan.  I have the Nationwide Talk Family Share Primary 700 w/ 2 lines @ $70.  I currently have a BB Curve 8330 and my husband has a Motorola V325.  I guess I'm  trying to figure out what is the cheapest option.  Thanks!  (I hope this is the right place for this question)

No matter where you buy your phone, your monthly plan cost will be the same.  If you want to save money up front on the cost of the phone from Verizon, and you know that you are going to stay with Verizon for the two years, your best deal is to get the $50 or $100 phone price and sign the two year contract.

If you don't want to be locked in to a contract, then pay full price for the phone ($300 and up, depending on the phone) or find one on ebay or wherever, stay with your current plan without a contract (month to month), and if you decide to leave Verizon for another carrier, there is no ETF (Early Termination Fee).

The ETF on the Droid is a hefty $350 less $10 for each month of the 2-year contract you have fulfilled.  If you think you may be leaving Verizon before two years, then buy the Droid outright and don't worry about the ETF.  If you are planning to stay with Verizon for the 2 year contract term, then get the best deal you can on the phone (usually the 2-year contract price plus whatever deals are being offered at the time), and as long as you don't leave before the 2 year term, the ETF won't be afactor either.

I hope this has helped....

• 2. Re: Buying a phone at full retail is cheaper?
            jenn571

That's kind of what I thought.    My husband and I do not plan on leaving VZW....EVER:smileywink:  It's the only network that works everywhere we go.  ATT sucks at my parents house so they had to switch to VZW and are so happy.  I'm pretty much into smartphones so I'll have to pay $29.99 +/- for data no matter where I go.  My husband is not at all into top of the line phones.  He just wants to make phone calls and text a few times a month (work related).  He loves his current phone and if the phone holds up, will keep that phone for as long as he can.  If he does need to get a new phone, he'll get one that doesn't require a data plan so that's not even an issue for us.  I guess I was just getting confused w/ all the new price plans that came out.  We pay $70 for 2 lines, $10 for me to text and $5 for hubby to text, and $29.99 for data on my BB. 

• 3. Re: Buying a phone at full retail is cheaper?
              SuzyQ

For your situation, the "new price plans" will have no real impact - your BB data plan stays the same (if you have a BB or a Droid, it's the same $29.99), your minute plan and texting plan haven't changed prices, and if they are working for you now there's no reason to change them.  Hubby is content with a "simple" phone....sounds like you are all set!

The major changes are for the unlimited calling plans (prices dropped) and the data plans on the "tween" phones - those between a simple phone and a smartphone/BB.  Neither of these apply to you, so continue to enjoy your Verizon service!