1 2 3 Previous Next 131 Replies Latest reply: Jan 9, 2013 6:09 PM by Brian68 RSS

Data plan requirements

jahenley65

I am concerned that when you purchase a phone that "requries a data plan" that you are really paying $10.00 per month for something that you don't have to use in order for the phone to function.  I understand that when I bought a new phone, that it was one that required the Data plan, so no big deal, until that is, I found out that I am not using it beyond the initial ringtone purchases...  Now, I am going to pay $240.00 over the next 2 years for something that was barely used at the very beginning of the contract and will never be used again.  How exactly is this fair treatment of your customers Verizon?

• 1. Re: Data plan requirements
          serenevey

It's not about fair treatment. These particular phones REQUIRE data support. It's their whole purpose. Verizon's not making you buy the fancy touch screen phone and I can guarantee any phone company you go to will tell you the same thing "The touch screen/smart phones ('smart' for a reason) need a data plan." It's not optional. The device won't function properly without it. I work for one of these Major Phone Companies (which I won't say) and I can comfortably back up Verizon on this not because I like them better or whatever because I'm fairly neutral between the two. I am also well versed on the plan requirements for the major cell companies because of my line of work. If you guys don't like the idea of paying for a data plan then choose a different device. It's not that difficult. I don't even live within range of a data connection but I like the idea of a touch screen phone so because of that I took the jump and I keep my mouth shut because, seriously, it wouldn't have been that hard for me to choose an alternative. Suck it up guys. We're in the techno age. Are you really going to freak out and threaten to go to At&t so you can get the iPhone because your friends say it's so great? They also don't say that it's the exact same price a month to have the **bleep** thing on top of the whole point of it being to download applications. So, there's extra cash to shell out on a different company right there. Sprint offers the same thing with their data plans. T-mobile's even MORE because of their "pay only $17 a month for your blackberry with the plan" so it seems like less even though you're paying for the full price of the phone instead of the 49.99 one time up front after the mail in rebate. It'd be more expensive to quit the company your with now and move to a different one because of the early term fees and signing a new contract because if you think they're going to hand you a new iphone or blackberry with no money down think again. Depending on your credit you'd have the deposit to pay and if you've missed any payments with your current phone company (let's use Verizon in this case) and have gotten to the point where your service has been interrupted then you've probably already lost your deposit with Verizon. So add it up: Early Termination Fee (I don't care who your lawyer is, let's be realistic here) + the lost deposit + the NEW deposit + the cost of a new phone (because odds are it's "FREE" because of a mail in rebate) + the proration charges for starting a new account which would be your first month of service plus a month in advance (you're not getting charged mo' money, people, it's a valid charge that happens to EVERYBODY) = You wishing you'd just sucked it up and stayed with Verizon *sob sob sob*. What about that Mac Book you've got that you shelled out over a grand for and the monthly cost of internet? Same deal. Once again, suck it up. Are you really going to call the internet company up and whine until they give you th internet for free? THAT'S why companies are charging more! To make up for the costs of trying to keep the people calling in saying "I don't even know what data is!!" freaking out over their bill because they let their 12 year old trigger happy pre teen download whatever satisfied! Yeah, you know who you are. YOU'RE the reason we're being "GOUGED". Quote, Un-quote. Over 20 billion dollars in credits are annually given to people who know exactly what they did but don't want to admit to it and throw fits until they get paid to download 17 ringtones because they "didn't know it would charge" them. And you may not think you're making a huge footprint in this case because it was just one or two measley credits but 85% of the credits given that add up to that 20 BILLION are under $25. Good going all you fibbers out there who think the phone companies are raping and pillaging. It's really YOU guys. *Takes a deep breath* Wow. It feels really good to safely get that off my chest instead of screaming it in a customer's ear when I finally can't take it anymore. Haha. That being said, I really like my EnV touch.

• 2. Re: Data plan requirements
            MPhotox2

That is absolutely NOT true. I have a 3 line family share plan, 2 lines have the Samsung Alias 2 which were ordered and activated prior to 1/18. There is NO data charge for these 2 lines, and the phones work great. Now I would like to upgrade my third line to a Samsung Alias 2 as well, which I cant do without a data charge.

The bottom line is that these phones DO NOT REQUIRE A DATA PACKAGE TO FUNCTION PROPERLY. Verizon is simply forcing you to get a data package if you want the phone, which is unfair. serenevey, you have no idea what you are talking about, please stop spreading misinformation.

• 3. Re: Data plan requirements
              verrippedoffzon

I agree with MPhotox2.

I renewed my plan and purchased an Env3 and Nokia Twist before 1/18 and was not charged a data plan. Now that the Twist has broken and was looking to upgrade/exchange it, I now need to purchase a data plan. These phones functioned properly before 1/18, as my Env3 will continue to do so without a data plan.

How can you not understand that consumers are not feeling gouged and ripped off? It does appear like Verizon is trying to get more money out of the customers just because they can.

• 4. Re: Data plan requirements
                Nevyn_Brisk

I have a Samsung Rogue and really like the phone.  However, I agree with the poster, paying for a service that is not required for the phone to function or that you use is unprofesional. 

serenevy - "The touch screen/smart phones ('smart' for a reason) need a data plan." It's not optional. The device won't function properly without it.

This statement is not true.  I have no data plan on my phone and it works perfectly.  I was told by Verizon that because my phone was purchased before the Jan 18 2010 Data plan requirement that it could be removed.  Verizon needs to give their customers the option to use or not use the data plan.  I will say that if I am ever forced to use something that is not required for the phone to work i will be switching phones to keep from paying the fee and contacting my local news media along with my polatitions.

• 5. Re: Data plan requirements
                  jahenley65

Serenevey,  If this is Required for my phone, why were there not data bites used on my billing this month?  I am upset because I am paying $10.00 for something that I don't use on my phone.  It should be my choice to use my phone how I want to.  You are saying then that it is OK for them to charge me for text messaging just because my phone has the ability to send text messages?  That makes no sense. I spoke to a customer service rep that said I was correct in that the phone functions properly without using data.  It obviouly does work for what I want my phone to do; or I would be seeing data charges on my billing.  And, there were not options (at least none presented to me) for a phone with the touch screen and key board like my Rogue has that don't require the data package.  I don't have ANY problems paying for something I use, so don't assume that I do. I do have a problem paying for something I don't use, under the guies that it is "required for the phone". You confirmed to me that you believe it is required for the phone to operate when it in fact is not.  That was my expectation as well, but then my bill did not reflect charges, so that tells me that it is a VZW policy to "require" the data plan.  My phone is perfect for texting, but they don't require me to have a text package on my plan.

• 6. Re: Data plan requirements
                    ctmainiac22

First off, I got my Omnia in the Fall of 2009.  I was *required* then to upgrade to the full data plan because I wanted/needed a phone that had a better calendar feature than the typical ones in the "lesser" phones (I sync to Google calendar and MS Outlook).  Never was I informed that I didn't need the data plan in order for the Omnia to work (good to know now).  I had a Smartphone before this Omnia upgrade, and was not required to have the data plan in order for it to work.  In fact, I used the calendar and synched it to MS Outlook with no issues.  Now, in the grand scheme of things, I enjoy the Omnia and because I had the plan (and was "required" to have it), I figured I would use at least some of the data features.  I do occasionally use the radio, the podcasts, the internet and the email.  It's useful, but I could do without it.

So the realization hit that I needed to cut some costs for the new year.  I contacted Verizon about downgrading to a different plan; I was told I couldn't because I have the Omnia and the data plan is required to use the phone.  Plus, I had used my "New Every Two" for the Omnia only a few months prior, so if I wanted to downgrade plans, I'd need a new phone.  This boggles my mind.  I was required to get this upgraded data plan so that I could use this better phone.  But now, because I want to downgrade to a lesser, data-free plan, I am required to purchase a new phone AT RETAIL COST (not their discounted upgraded plan costs) that fits the plan.  At this point, it's easier and less expensive to keep paying for the data plan for the Omnia than to downgrade to a plan that better fits my needs.  Seems ridiculous to me...

• 7. Re: Data plan requirements
                      woyala

ctmainiac22 wrote:

First off, I got my Omnia in the Fall of 2009.  I was *required* then to upgrade to the full data plan because I wanted/needed a phone that had a better calendar feature than the typical ones in the "lesser" phones (I sync to Google calendar and MS Outlook).  Never was I informed that I didn't need the data plan in order for the Omnia to work (good to know now).  I had a Smartphone before this Omnia upgrade, and was not required to have the data plan in order for it to work.  In fact, I used the calendar and synched it to MS Outlook with no issues.  Now, in the grand scheme of things, I enjoy the Omnia and because I had the plan (and was "required" to have it), I figured I would use at least some of the data features.  I do occasionally use the radio, the podcasts, the internet and the email.  It's useful, but I could do without it.

So the realization hit that I needed to cut some costs for the new year.  I contacted Verizon about downgrading to a different plan; I was told I couldn't because I have the Omnia and the data plan is required to use the phone.  Plus, I had used my "New Every Two" for the Omnia only a few months prior, so if I wanted to downgrade plans, I'd need a new phone.  This boggles my mind.  I was required to get this upgraded data plan so that I could use this better phone.  But now, because I want to downgrade to a lesser, data-free plan, I am required to purchase a new phone AT RETAIL COST (not their discounted upgraded plan costs) that fits the plan.  At this point, it's easier and less expensive to keep paying for the data plan for the Omnia than to downgrade to a plan that better fits my needs.  Seems ridiculous to me...

You had options when you decided to upgrade your phone and you made a decision.  If you now want to downgrade whatever or not pay data plan anymore then sell your phone and use that money to offset the purchase of another phone.  Simple solution.

• 8. Re: Data plan requirements
                        hogan8r

I have been a verizon customer for 10 years. I currently have 5 lines. In my house we have an env3 and an env touch. I currently do not have a data plan and these phones work fine.  The idea that these phones will not work without a data plan is ludicrous. This is just a way for them to siphon more money from you. They changed the Nationwide plan to $69.99 then started requiring this useless data plan.  Am I going to switch companies? Maybe, maybe not. That's not the issue. I want them to understand that they are doing their customers wrong.

• 9. Re: Data plan requirements
                          cheatedbyvz

Keep up the posts. They need to know they are trashing their rep. Sooner or later they need to stop using the brand "Verizon" which has always ment bad, uncaring service in the land line business.

1 2 3 Previous Next