1 2 Previous Next 10 Replies Latest reply: Jan 24, 2010 1:51 PM by spanky4350 RSS

Comparing Verizon, AT&T, Sprint, T-Mobile

SuzyQ

Here's an interesting article about the "new" plans being offered by Verizon and AT&T, comparing plans and numbers,  and throwing Sprint and T-Mobile figures in as well.  Read the article, then  read the comments, from users of ALL the services - some very interesting stuff!!!

Oh, and one thing they didn't mention - Verizon's texting plan includes text, picture, and video messaging.  AT&T's texting plan is only text - in order to get picture and video messaging, you have to add a data plan too.

http://news.cnet.com/8301-30686_3-10437595-266.html?tag=rtcol;pop

Read, and then tell me if Verizon is any better or worse than the competition!  Seems to me that all the cell companies are pretty much on the same page....

• 1. Re: Comparing Verizon, AT&T, Sprint, T-Mobile
          Bandit390

Everyones answer is going to be different because everyones needs is different.

Personally, I like sprint. Forget rollover and a select numbers being free when I can call every mobile for free and have unlimited data, unlimited text/pic/vid and they forgot nights at 7pm, also 450 minutes for calling landlines during the day. All for 69.99.

Also, while its not a guarentee. Sprint and tmobile could be working on their own price drops

• 2. Re: Comparing Verizon, AT&T, Sprint, T-Mobile
            ef1165

AT&T's texting plan does too include picture and video messaging. Or at least it did a few months ago when i was with them.

• 3. Re: Comparing Verizon, AT&T, Sprint, T-Mobile
              SuzyQ

ef1165 wrote:

AT&T's texting plan does too include picture and video messaging. Or at least it did a few months ago when i was with them.

Well, my sister is with AT&T, has unlimited texting but I can't send her pictures because  she doesn't have a data plan.  And I tried to send a ringtone to one of my daughter's friends and it didn't go through - she said because she doesn't have data.  My son's girlfriend can't exchange pictures with us, because her AT& T plan doesn't have data....and on and on - and according to that article I read - they are separate....

• 4. Re: Comparing Verizon, AT&T, Sprint, T-Mobile
                sierrajinx9

Yes Except that i just went online to try and buy a multimedia phone with ATT and it DID require DATA! However, they have a $30 plan that has Unlimited TEXT/IM/PIC/Vid & DATA!

Sounds Cheaper then ATT to me!

• 5. Re: Comparing Verizon, AT&T, Sprint, T-Mobile
                  TheGreatOne

ef1165 wrote:

SuzyQ wrote:   Well, my sister is with AT&T, has unlimited texting but I can't send her pictures because  she doesn't have a data plan.  And I tried to send a ringtone to one of my daughter's friends and it didn't go through - she said because she doesn't have data.  My son's girlfriend can't exchange pictures with us, because her AT& T plan doesn't have data....and on and on - and according to that article I read - they are separate....

To the orginal post....I posted an alike post HERE

Cell phone carriers begin price war
                  "Verizon and AT&T are dropping the cost of certain service plans by up to $80 a month. Other providers following suit?"

Personally i wondered if the smaller cell phone companies (Metro, Boost Mobile, U.S. Cellular...etc.) would be forced out of business.

Elf1165 you are right. The messaging on AT&T does include picture/video, text, instant messaging. SuzyQ is kind of right also. On AT&T you don't need a data plan to send/receive MMS messages. However when sending/receiving an MMS that is over 600KB then you will be charged for internet usage. If you block internet on your phone you won't be able to do picture/video messaging.Won't work. On some phones when using instant messaging you are billed for internet usage.

Unlike Verizon...you can send/receive picture/video messages and use no internet usage. You can even sign onto mobile IM without worry about internet usage. Very nice.

• 6. Re: Comparing Verizon, AT&T, Sprint, T-Mobile
                    nmchileman

Good read, thanks for posting Suzy. 

CNet got something wrong though. The add-a-lines for Family Share Unlimited plans are not $9.99, they're $49.99. So the first two costs you $149.99, then $49.99 for the 3rd-5th lines. Previously Unlimited add-a-lines were $99.99. 

Shame on you CNet. 

• 7. Re: Comparing Verizon, AT&T, Sprint, T-Mobile
                      sadie85

nmchileman wrote:

Good read, thanks for posting Suzy. 

CNet got something wrong though. The add-a-lines for Family Share Unlimited plans are not $9.99, they're $49.99. So the first two costs you $149.99, then $49.99 for the 3rd-5th lines. Previously Unlimited add-a-lines were $99.99. 

Shame on you CNet. 

Yeah I notices that, also they quote AT&T's data plans for smartphones at  $29.99 when really they are $30.

Maybe someone needs a new fact checker!

I do like how AT&T gives you a bit of choice with the required packages on non smartphones, letting you mix it up a bit between texting and data. Perhaps food for thought for VZW...

• 8. Re: Comparing Verizon, AT&T, Sprint, T-Mobile
                        SuzyQ

I read several articles on several blogs and "news" sites regarding these new plans....and this one was the "most" accurate.  Some had the plans so tangled up and totally wrong...comments were posted to try and correct but the general tone of the comments was outrage - and misplaced because of the inaccurate "news".  :::sigh:::

I posted this because it seemed to me to have the best factual information, albeit with a few errors.  So thanks for the corrections chile and sadie.

• 9. Re: Comparing Verizon, AT&T, Sprint, T-Mobile
                          nodataplan

AT &T and Verizon are the same but the article makes the point that Sprint and T-mobile are cheaper.  "T-Mobile USA offers an unlimited voice, text, and data plan for $79.99 a month, which is $40 less than the new equivalent plans from AT&T for smartphone devices and Verizon Wireless."   and "Sprint's Simply Everything plan costs $99.99 and includes unlimited voice, texting, and data. This is still $20 cheaper than a comparable unlimited plan for an AT&T smartphone or any Verizon phone. These equivalent unlimited plans offer unlimited voice, text, and data for about $120 a month. And it is $5 cheaper than unlimited plans for AT&T quick-messaging devices, which cost about $105 per month. " 

That $20.00 a month adds up to $240 or $480 a year extra you pay Verizon and ATT.  I don't exactly consider that to be all of the major carriers doing the same thing.  I consider that to be Verizon and ATT doing the same thing.

1 2 Previous Next