3 Replies Latest reply: Dec 20, 2009 9:53 PM by cstrait001 RSS

Best family plan options?

azjerry

Two general pricing questions here:

I currently have a select family plan 1400 minute with three lines.

-primary line (mine) has a Treo 700p with pay as you go data.$110.  A couple hundred minutes, a couple hundred messages and no data.

-2nd line is a Blackberry ($10 + $30 data plan) 3000 minutes, 4000 messages and data included in plan

-3rd line is an LG enV ($10) Less than 100 minutes, around 100 messages and no data

So the total I'm paying is 110 + 10 + 30 + 10 = $160 (not counting taxes, fees and corporate discount)  With M2M, F&F and N&W the actual share plan minutes is usually between 700 and 1400 minutes. Given the above usage can I cut the cost some? Drop to basic 1400 minute plan and add a text package to the primary and 3rd lines? Does the Blackberry plan include messages or do I have to keep the select plan to cover those?

Second question:

I'm thinking of upgrading my Treo to either a Droid or whatever WebOS device is coming out early next year. I realize that I'll have to add the $30 data plan for that. What's my best pricing option going to be then (assuming no changes to the plans themselves)?

• 1. Re: Best family plan options?
          cstrait001

azjerry wrote:

Two general pricing questions here:

I currently have a select family plan 1400 minute with three lines.

-primary line (mine) has a Treo 700p with pay as you go data.$110.  A couple hundred minutes, a couple hundred messages and no data.

-2nd line is a Blackberry ($10 + $30 data plan) 3000 minutes, 4000 messages and data included in plan

-3rd line is an LG enV ($10) Less than 100 minutes, around 100 messages and no data

So the total I'm paying is 110 + 10 + 30 + 10 = $160 (not counting taxes, fees and corporate discount)  With M2M, F&F and N&W the actual share plan minutes is usually between 700 and 1400 minutes. Given the above usage can I cut the cost some? Drop to basic 1400 minute plan and add a text package to the primary and 3rd lines? Does the Blackberry plan include messages or do I have to keep the select plan to cover those?

Second question:

I'm thinking of upgrading my Treo to either a Droid or whatever WebOS device is coming out early next year. I realize that I'll have to add the $30 data plan for that. What's my best pricing option going to be then (assuming no changes to the plans themselves)?

You say your second line with the Blackberry has 3,000 minutes but yet you state before that you're on the Select 1400 minute plan? This doesn't make sense unless you're going over your minutes or the Blackberry is actually on its own individual plan. Can you please clarify?

You say that your voice usage is between 700 and 1400. As long you don't go over your minutes and incurr voice overages of $20 or greater, then you definitely should stay where you're at.  Keep in mind that a 700 minute plan does not get the benefit of F&F. Plus all three of your lines are using enough messages together that the Select Plan is your best option.

The Blackberry data plan does not include messaging. Either the $29.99 Personal Email and Web for smartphone or the $44.99 Enterprise Data plan for smartphone plans do not include messaging -- just unlimited email and internet.

Should you upgrade your phone to a smartphone, adding the $29.99 data plan is your best option.

Question I have for you is are you getting a corporate discount on your plan? Many employers participate in VZW's employee discount plan that provide discounts anywhere from 8% all the way to 22% off any plan access charge of $34.99 or higher. The amount of discount you get is related to how many hundreds/thousands of subscribers your company has with VZW. There are also discounts on accessories and even on the data plans. Check out www.verizonwireless.com/getdiscounts for more info.

• 2. Re: Best family plan options?
            azjerry

For daughter's 3000 minutes the majority of those are N&W, M2M and F&F. That's how our total of share plan minutes used is under 1400.

Yes I do get a 20% corporate discount which lessens the pain a bit. I didn't mention it before just to simplify my questions.

• 3. Re: Best family plan options?
              cstrait001

azjerry wrote:

For daughter's 3000 minutes the majority of those are N&W, M2M and F&F. That's how our total of share plan minutes used is under 1400.

Yes I do get a 20% corporate discount which lessens the pain a bit. I didn't mention it before just to simplify my questions.

I follow now. Sounds like your reaping the benefits of N&W, M2M and F&F! As long as you stay under 1400, don't change a thing.