Double text messages
anniegrog

My cell phone is sending double text messages, is it because I'm over 160 characters?  sending a message to a non-Verizon person?  Help!

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: Double text messages
SuzyQ
Community Leader
Community Leader

Hi Annie -

It could just be a phone glitch - my daughter had a phone that sent two of every message!  Now she has a new phone and that doesn't happen.

Are the messages duplicates?  Or is the text being sent in two parts (a long text that gets split?)  If it is being split into more than one message because it is over 160 characters, that's normal....

SMS Text, or Short Message Service, messages were intended to be just that - SHORT MESSAGES. Here's some info on long messages (considered an "enhanced text message"):

Enhanced Text Messages sent to Verizon Wireless subscribers ONLY.
  Enhanced Text Messages can be sent at no extra cost per message. Even extended length messages over 160 characters in length are charged as a single text message according to the plan selected.
  Enhanced Text Messages sent to multiple recipients will bill the sender one message according to the plan selected for each message recipient that successfully receives the message.
  Messages greater than 160 characters received on Non-EMS capable phones will be segmented into individual messages up to 160 characters in length. The non-EMS subscriber receiving multiple message segments will only be billed for a single message received.

Enhanced Text Messages sent to non-Verizon Wireless subscribers:
When you send Enhanced Text Messages to Non-Verizon Wireless subscribers, all EMS features will be removed. All inserted graphics, sounds, international text characters and text formatting will be deleted. In addition, Enhanced Text Messages greater than 160 characters will be truncated to 160 characters in length. After you send your Enhanced Text Message to the non-Verizon Wireless subscriber, VZW will send you the following free administrative message: "FREE_VZW_MSG: Messages sent to non-VZW customers with graphics/tones/formatting and/or 160+ characters are sent as plain text with only the first 160 characters." Note: The EMS capable handset sending the message will be billed for a single message sent.

HTH,

0 Likes
Branee224

I have had 2 people tell me that the texts I send them they are receiving twice.  This has only been in the past month and a half since I got my Blackberry.  The 2 people who have complained to me have 2 different cell phone providers.  One of them got my texts 3 times, the other got them 2 times.  Each time the texts were exact duplicates.  Is there anything that can be done about this?  It doesn't really bother me, I have unlimited texting.  But not only do my friends and family possibly pay for their texts, it's really annoying to get the same text more than once!

0 Likes
Busterkev
Enthusiast - Level 1

Turn phone on and off my friends phone does that when she leaves her phone on for weeks at a time

0 Likes