1 3 4 5 6 7 Previous Next 80 Replies Latest reply: Feb 10, 2012 4:59 PM by Tidbits Go to original post RSS
      • 40. Re: Upgrade to Smartphone without Data Plan?
        bosslady85

All PDA/Smartphones, Blackberry devices and 3G Multimedia devices require a data package.   You can get the $9.99 data package that includes 25Mb for the 3G multimedia devices.  The PDA/Smartphones and Blackberry devices require a data package of at least $29.99 or higher. Keep in mind we do have simple feature phones that do not require a data package.

• 41. Re: Upgrade to Smartphone without Data Plan?
          moviedude

Natavia,

I don't think you understand what the community is saying. People want a PDA/cell phone so that they can use the PDA features, not the data transfer features. If a customer wants the data features, then they can choose to purchase them. But ,by forcing customers to buy a data package to get the PDA features is not responsive to what the customer base wants. The end resutl is that those customers that would otherwise upgrade to a PDA phone, will defer, and Verizon loses the opportunity to migrate them towards wanting to purchase a data package. It is, IMHO, very poor marketing. Typically, when a company tries to force its customer base towards a certain direction, it is not nearly as successful as enticing them to get there by their own decision.

• 42. Re: Upgrade to Smartphone without Data Plan?
            Rocko73

bosslady85 wrote:

All PDA/Smartphones, Blackberry devices and 3G Multimedia devices require a data package.   You can get the $9.99 data package that includes 25Mb for the 3G multimedia devices.  The PDA/Smartphones and Blackberry devices require a data package of at least $29.99 or higher. Keep in mind we do have simple feature phones that do not require a data package.

Yeah, two phones with keyboards that have archaeic features. Gee, thanks for thinking of the customer.

• 43. Re: Upgrade to Smartphone without Data Plan?
              legendkiller98

Rocko73 wrote:

bosslady85 wrote:

Yeah, two phones with keyboards that have archaeic features. Gee, thanks for thinking of the customer.

you forgot to mention the refurbished phone!

I have to wonder what the phone manufacturers think of this. perhaps we need to be filing complaints with them as well.

"I would like to buy your phone but... "

• 44. Re: Upgrade to Smartphone without Data Plan?
                libtechguy

I have had many phones and I was able to recently pick up a Palm Treo 700w in like new condition for only $30. But when I went to self-activate it I ran into the $29.95 monthly data plan  - which I too thought was absurd since I had planned to update my Outlook email and/or apps by directly connecting this phone to my desktop and establishing a network connection through the USB port.

My so did find out that the treo was included in the group of smartphones that did not need to have the data package activated and we blocked picture messaging ( a waste of bandwidth in my opinion anyway) to complete the setup. Of course he did have to escalate the activation on the phone with customer service who at first told him it was not possible.  Now I am checking on E-bay to pickup a Spectre wireless b/g SD card for this phone so I can attach to my home wi-fi and the free wi-fi I now seem to find everywhere.  So, yes Verizon can tell you that for all of their new phones and plans, you have to play by their rules...but if you are a little thrifty and can handle an older phone, then why not use an older model and get features you want without the extra money shelled out each month.  Remember, if Verizon - like ATT, has enough reserve capital to respectively buy up Alltel and Centennial, then they aren't hurting if I become my own form of competition to them and find a better price and service.

BTW, if you look on Ebay and type in gbx2006, you will find an online store that sells brand new VZW phones that were overstocks and are new in package. I currently have my eye on a Samsung SCH-i760 with wi-fi built in and retractable qwerty keypad for 149.95. Now you might think that is high in price, but its a new phone, I'm not bound to any further contract extensions with the purchase and the wi-fi lets him browse the web with IE, Opera Mini or whatever when he is in range - without a cumulative $360 a year data package!

p.s. Since it is win mobile 5,  I am running Airscanner AV on it,  which I installed using ActiveSync from my computer.

• 45. Re: Upgrade to Smartphone without Data Plan?
                  glarson

I'm with you pcjengr.  I want a smart phone for excatly the same reason.  I want to use MS word, excel and outlook calendar.  I would use it to synch my work calendar and home calendar.  I would not use it for email or web browsing.  I think Verizon is a good company, but I am presently is process of switching so I can get those services without the high cost of data plan that I won't use.

• 46. Re: Upgrade to Smartphone without Data Plan?
                    crimedoggies

glarson wrote:

I'm with you pcjengr.  I want a smart phone for excatly the same reason.  I want to use MS word, excel and outlook calendar.  I would use it to synch my work calendar and home calendar.  I would not use it for email or web browsing.  I think Verizon is a good company, but I am presently is process of switching so I can get those services without the high cost of data plan that I won't use.

Who?  All the major contract wireless carriers require data packages for smartphones.  The only way I know of having a smartphone without data is with some prepay companies.

• 47. Re: Upgrade to Smartphone without Data Plan?
                      Merrick

crimedoggies wrote:

glarson wrote:

Who?  All the major contract wireless carriers require data packages for smartphones.  The only way I know of having a smartphone without data is with some prepay companies.

For smartphones yes. Verizon's problem is they are implementing the data requirment on phones which are not defined as a smartphone. Mostly on phones with either a touch screen or qwert keyboard. More than likely the best sellers for verizon, go figure...

At least with every other carrier they still offer touch scrren and qwerty phones without a required data plan.

• 48. Re: Upgrade to Smartphone without Data Plan?
                        crimedoggies

Merrick wrote:

crimedoggies wrote:

glarson wrote:

For smartphones yes. Verizon's problem is they are implementing the data requirment on phones which are not defined as a smartphone. Mostly on phones with either a touch screen or qwert keyboard. More than likely the best sellers for verizon, go figure...

At least with every other carrier they still offer touch scrren and qwerty phones without a required data plan.

Understood, and that conversation has been ongoing since the change was implemented.  I was responding specifically to his desire to have a smartphone without a data plan because I was curious as to where he expects to get that service.

• 49. Re: Upgrade to Smartphone without Data Plan?
                          bsoa123

Jagger-VzW wrote:

No, a data plan is required for all Smartphone, PDA and Blackberry devices.

There are many good reasons that VZW requires a data plan for all Smartphones, PDAs, and Blackberry devices, which correlate to financial reasons, but mostly we require it so that the customer can use their advanced device as it should be used and benefit from EVERYTHING the device can do, which you just cannot do if you don’t have a plan. 

Before this requirement, we were seeing an inordinate amount of customers using data and being charged a good amount on the for Pay As You Go data rate…  Also, Wi-Fi is a relatively new addition to our offering at VZW and while Wi-Fi spots are located in a lot of places, we pride ourselves on having the Nation’s Best and Largest 3G Network, hence we want it to work everywhere you need it to work and not have you to have to rely on finding Wi-Fi hot spots.  

I suppose it comes down to, “It is what it is” as it is a requirement and not only by VZW, but by every other major wireless carrier

k thx bye. lol....

1 3 4 5 6 7 Previous Next