Can't connect to Wi-Fi via wireless home network
fatalysis

I can't seem to connect to my wireless network at home.  I entered my network's password on my Droid and it recognizes that the network is available and the password is correct, but I still can't connect.  Is there a setting that I need to add or change on my router so that my phone will connect?

0 Likes
Re: Can't connect to Wi-Fi via wireless home network
pecula00

Can you be a little more specific on some of the details if possible?  What do you mean by password?  Are you using encryption?  If so what standard - WEP, WPA?  Did you try and type this information into the Wi-Fi Network setting on the phone?  Are you broadcasting your ssid?  Is the phone getting an IP address from the router?

I was able to connect mine with no problems.

0 Likes
fatalysis

I have a WPA encrypted wireless home network.  When I go to the wi-fi settings on my Droid, my wireless network appears as available.  When I tap to choose my network, it prompts me for the password and I enter it.  My Droid then tries to obtain an IP address, but is unsuccessful.  Checking my router settings, SSID is enabled, and all other wireless devices at home are connected normally.

Any ideas?

0 Likes
pecula00

instead of having the droid find the network and automatically configure, try and manually set it up if you have not done so already.  try that first.

0 Likes
fatalysis

I reset my router by unplugging it and then plugging it back in and then turning the Droid off and back on.  When the Droid came on it recognized the signal immediately.  Problem solved!

0 Likes
Re: Can't connect to Wi-Fi via wireless home network *PROBLEM NOT SOLVED*
fatalysis

So by unplugging the modem, this solved my issue just once.  I actually turned wifi off and back on to see if it would still connect and it didn't.  Can't even obtain an IP address!

I went to a couple wifi hotspots and had no issues connecting so I know that it is functional on my Droid.  The issue appears to be with trying to access secured wireless networks.

Apparently I'm not the only one with this issue.  Here's the thread from Motorola's own website:

https://supportforums.motorola.com/thread/16191?tstart=0

Hopefully this can be fixed!!!

0 Likes
Q2

How do we change the flag in the forum to show that the problem isn't really solved?  There are way too many other examples of users not being able to connect to the internet through wifi when WPA or WPA2 security is enabled.

0 Likes
dknight0

I actively sit on three different wifi networks (one linksys n, one netgear n, one linksys g).. the droid will connect to all 3 no porblem, but will drop the conenciton in under 15 minutes (even with wifi sleep disabled - AND runnign the fixWIFI apps) if I am actively using the connection. I have 2 droids and both do it (but not simultaneously, as if responding to a true network issue, and other wireless devices remain connected without issue). So it isn't the wifi routers' faults. The droid wifi is not good. even sitting in the same room with a router I only show a 'good' connection half the time. powering the phone off and pulling the battery ALWAYS works to get me reconnected, but that is rediculous. just bouncing wifi, or toggling airplane mode doesn't always do it. sometimes, 'forgetting' the router and reconnecting (and retyping password) will soemtimes work, but not always... sometimes, it will just say 'out of range' on my router that is literally less than 10 feet away.

I love this device, but am COMPLETELY frustrated with the wifi. VERY unreliable. my old blackberry never had this issue, so it is inexcusible that a new device would.

Another MAJOR annoyance is when you receive a photo attachment in an email, you can view it, set is as your wallpaper, but trying to save it to your sd card causes a 'force quit'.

I spoke with verizon about these issues and they claimed noone had mentioned having this sort of trouble. imagine my surprise when i did a google search and found hundreds of threads all over the net. I sure hope verizon/google work to add a fix for this on the dec 11 update, if not, i smell a class actuion lawsuit coming.

0 Likes
jonz20091123

I have experienced the same issue and was able to connect to my local wi-fi only when I either completely disabled the security or switched to WEP security.  With my WPA2 security turned on, I couldn't see the network or connect using a manually entered entry on the HTC Droid Eris.  Hope there is a fix soon!

0 Likes
jasminium

I have the same problem.

I use wep security, when I try to connect to my network and enter the key, it says "obtaining ip address from ___" then it reads "unsuccessful."

Has anyone figured out how to fix this?

Thanks

0 Likes