8 Replies Latest reply: Mar 20, 2010 12:15 PM by jskinder RSS

pop3 email

Beetle

I am trying to set up a POP3 email on my droid with no luck.  My isp is Charter.  I have tried it using the incoming and outgoing settings I use in Outlook and tried using the "general setup instructions" on Charter's website for mobile devices with no luck.

It did accept the incoming settings of pop.charter.net with port 110 but cannot get the outgoing to work. 

Thanks in advanced.

• 1. Re: pop3 email
          Beetle

I googled my question and found an answer for Charter email for the Pre.  This is what I found.

"

After playing around with mine, I found the permanent fix.  First off, make sure you have the latest software version on your PRE.

IGNORE what Charter said the address is for Incoming and Outbound.  pop.charter.net and smtp.charter.net will ONLY allow you to RECEIVE, when you try to compose, reply, reply all, forward, you will get a error, and it will NOT go out.

the correct settings should be:

Mail Type: POP

Incoming Mail Server: mail.charterinternet.com

Username: myusername@charter.net (first part of your email address DO NOT omit the @charter.net)

Password: whatever the password is to access the charter email account

Port: 110

Encryption: None

Outgoing Mail Server: smtp.charterinternet.com

Authentication: ON

Username: myusername@charter.net (first part of your email address DO NOT omit the @charter.net)

Password: whatever the password is to access the charter email account

Port: 25

Encryption: none"

I tired this on the Droid and it worked.  Anyone see a problem with this?

Thanks

• 2. Re: pop3 email
            bowens2

Thanks - changing the port helped me. I have been going crazy. The girl at the store said it should be the port that came up but that worked at first but all of a sudden one night that changed. Did a search and came up with your thread and thought I would try it. It worked! Thank Goodness and you!

• 3. Re: pop3 email
              Golfallday

I've been having the same problem trying to get Charter email on my Droid.  I've been back to the store and they told me to contact Charter.  I called Charter and they told me to contact Verizon.  I've tried the above mentioned POP3 commands and I still cannot get my email to work.  Can anyone out there help me.

• 4. Re: pop3 email
                whitewater

I used the above advice for my Charter email settings and it worked great... until a week ago when my Droid said there was an update. Since I downloaded the update I can not get my mail to work... very frustrating!

• 5. Re: pop3 email
                  droidsux

It seems the Droid has a lot of problems with e-mail with almost anything but g-mail accounts.  See my post, (Motorola Droid E-mail problems and more).

There no known solution other than to get a Blackberry or can your non g-mail accounts and begin using gmail exclusively.

If someone out there knows how to make the Droid work properly with non-gmail accounts, speak up!

• 6. Re: pop3 email
                    ksxox10

droidsux wrote:

It seems the Droid has a lot of problems with e-mail with almost anything but g-mail accounts.  See my post, (Motorola Droid E-mail problems and more).

There no known solution other than to get a Blackberry or can your non g-mail accounts and begin using gmail exclusively.

If someone out there knows how to make the Droid work properly with non-gmail accounts, speak up!

I am certainly no expert on this subject, but I will tell you my experience. My primary email is through Comcast. I did set up a gmail account when I purchased the Droid, but I don't use it. I simply added my Comcast email address and then made changes to the settings to best suit my needs. I have had no problems with my emails coming through or being sent out.

I have had my share of other problems with the Droid, though. I am on my 3rd handset. The first two constantly disconnected calls mid way through conversations. My 3rd one has worked pretty well. (knock on wood)

Happy Holidays to you all!

• 7. Re: pop3 email

I got my new Droid yesterday and set up gmail with no problems.  Today, I struggled trying to setup Charter email until I found this thread.  After several attempts using the above information, I finally got it working.

• 8. windstream email
                        jskinder

Hey was having problems with Windstream as well and stumbled across this fix. This worked for my email as well.

Thanks