Accessibility Resource Center Skip to main content
iPhone 15 Plus. Newphoria. Get it on us with select Unlimited plans. New line req'd. No trade-in req'd. Online only. Ends 3.31. Buy  |  Details.
end of navigation menu
3.2M Members 4,440 Members online 268K Discussions 44K Solutions

Who I have the same questioned this topic

Accidentally Factory Reset Samsung Galaxy J1
geauxsaints

I have a Verizon Prepaid Samsung Galaxy J1 phone I bought in 2015. I was leaning against my phone, picked it up and saw the green Android alien along with a moving gear icon and the word "erasing." The phone restarted with the red Verizon logo, and then brought me to a page showing the "Setup Wizard" asking me to choose my language. So I'm assuming that the phone factory reset, although I don't see how that's possible if I never actually swiped the screen but possibly leaned against the phone buttons.

I don't have any sort of backup app on my phone. As far as I know, my phone wasn't synced to any sort of online storage or "cloud." I have at least 50 important contacts saved to my phone that aren't written down anywhere, business text messages, etc.

I Googled and noticed a few paid software and apps that claim they can help a phone owner restore photos, contacts, texts, etc to a phone after an accidental factory reset. But I don't know if they work, if they're malware, or if I'll somehow disable my service by using them (one claims your phone has to be rooted for the software to work). I left my phone on the Setup Wizard screen because I'm also afraid that if I finalize the setup wizard, maybe data that could have been recovered won't be.

Am I simply out of luck? Can Verizon help restore at least my contacts/texts on their end, should I buy Android data recovery software, or is all of that information lost forever?

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Who I have the same questioned this topic