Accessibility Resource Center Skip to main content
iPhone 15. Newphoria. Get it on us. Online Only. No trade-in req'd. Limited time offer. Buy  |  Details.
end of navigation menu
3.2M Members 3,708 Members online 269K Discussions 43.9K Solutions

Who I have the same questioned this topic

GPS Location Inaccurate - iPhone 6
rmills06
Enthusiast - Level 3

Hello All,

Over the past few weeks I have had problems with the GPS on my iPhone 6.  It seemed to start when Verizon sent their last carrier settings update around 1/10 or 1/11 of this year (2016).  Coincidentally, this was just before the latest iOS update to 9.2.1. 

I had issues immediately after the Verizon carrier update.  I updated the iOS to 9.2.1 and still no improvement 

The specific issue is inaccuracy of location while on GPS (no Wi-Fi) and also lagging in keeping up while on GPS such using Apple Maps or Google Maps.  When I'm not on Wi-Fi the GPS is about 500 feet to 1000 feet off.  As soon as I connect to Wi-Fi it is immediately accurate.  I noticed if I start a route with Apple or Google Maps on Wi-Fi and drive the route (no Wi-Fi) it loses my location and lags far behind.  It updates about every 10 minutes, but it is off by 500 to 1000 feet.  If I stray from my route it won't self correct the route.

I went through the regular troubleshooting steps including, but not limited to:

• Hard reset
  • Reset network settings
  • Reset location and privacy settings
  • Reset all settings in my phone and did a clean install

None of these steps worked.  Another coincidence is I lost the ability to backup my phone to iCloud at the same time the GPS location became inaccurate.  I was finally able to resolve the iCloud backup issue through several iterations of deleting and syncing photos.  At this point I'm at a loss on the GPS issue, but possibly believe it may be SIM card related.  I'm reaching out to Apple about this as well.

Any other ideas?

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Who I have the same questioned this topic