Accessibility Resource Center Skip to main content
iPhone 15 Plus. Newphoria. Get it on us with select Unlimited plans. New line req'd. No trade-in req'd. Online only. Ends 3.31. Buy  |  Details.
end of navigation menu

Who I have the same questioned this topic

USB730L can't download as much data as Galaxy S7 hotspot under same conditions
RickVicik
Enthusiast - Level 2

I use a USB730L and a wireless router to create a hotspot on a boat.  It works OK for web browsing, email, etc. but if I attempt to download a moderately large amount of data, it times out.  It succeeds if I select the minimum amount of data.  If I use a hotspot created by my Galaxy S7, the download succeeds even with a much larger amount of data.  As a test, I tried making a hotspot by plugging the 730L into a laptop and downloads fail in the same way, so I don't think it is the router.  The device doing the download is a navigation instrument that is requesting weather forecast information from an internet service.  I don't know the actual data size, but specifying fewer days makes it smaller.

The tests were all done in the same location and repeated over several days.  The cellular signal strength reported by both the 730L and S7 was about 2 bars.  The laptop is a Microsoft Surface laptop running Win10.  The 730L and S7 are on the same unlimited data plan.  The connection is not lost when it fails.  The download progress bar stalls after a few seconds and the download times out and fails.  It seems like the 730L is applying some kind of throttling on the data flow, but I can't find anything like that under "settings".  Preferred Network Technology is "Global".  Any advice will be appreciated.

---rick

Tags (1)
Who I have the same questioned this topic