Accessibility Resource Center Skip to main content
iPhone 15 Plus. Newphoria. Get it on us with select Unlimited plans. New line req'd. No trade-in req'd. Online only. Ends 3.31. Buy  |  Details.
end of navigation menu
3.2M Members 4,164 Members online 268K Discussions 44K Solutions

Who I have the same questioned this topic

Wifi Calling Service on BYOD Unlocked Phones
BRIMAC41
Enthusiast - Level 1

When will Vz certify/activate the use of Wifi calling on BYOD unlocked phones?

Currently I do have HD Calling / Wi-Fi Calling provisioned on my account.

I purchased a Moto X4 standard (XT-1900-1) directly from Moto after verifying from Moto & VZ that the phone was fully compatible with the Vz network.

However, it appears that Vz will not allow unlocked BYOD phones to use their Wi-Fi Calling feature (unlike T-Mobile, Sprint and AT&T).  after many hours of troubleshooting on the phone & web with both tier 1 & 2 support at VZ & Moto the only answer that I get is that it should work but each company blames the other for the issue.

I would note that the phone currently has Oreo 8.0.0 and there are no options within the settings menus to activate or turn on/off Wif calling.

I have tried to turn off your Cellular data when making the call to have it force a switch to Wi-Fi Calling with with no luck.

I even took a look at the newest Vz network extender 2.  Unfortunately, my Vz HDSL only provides 4-6 Mbps Down & 0.5-0.8 Mbps Up which is substantially less than Vz's minimum requirement of 10 Mbps Down & 5 Mbps Up and woefully lower than VZ's preferable rates of 20 Mbps Down & 10 Mbps Up.

I have been a loyal customer for more than 30 years residential and more than 20 years wireless & Internet.

There must be some way for Vz to activate the Wifi Calling feature for BYOD phones since the phones that they sell are unlocked currently.

If that is not possible, will Vz be bringing the X4 to there lineup with the Wifi calling  feature functional?

Labels (1)
Tags (1)
Who I have the same questioned this topic