question about 3-way calling
md1870

If I make a 3-way call (make original call and then add a 3rd person via the merge call feature), can I disconnect and the other two people continue talking? Or does my disconnecting automatically end the call for them, such that one of them would need to call the other to resume their conversation? 

Thanks very much for any feedback. 

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: question about 3-way calling
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Knowing all the details regarding 3-Way Calling is crucial.  We want to make sure we have all the details.  If you merged all three callers and hang up, the other two callers may or may not be able to communicate depending on a couple factors.  What type of device are you using and how would the call be merged with the other two people (automated system, device feature, etc.)?  Here is more about our 3 way calling:

https://www.verizonwireless.com/support/3-way-calling-faqs/

SeanC_VZW

0 Likes
md1870

Thanks for your reply. Here is how I've done it on my iPhone X (for which Verizon is the carrier):

(1) Make original call to person #1 and begin talking. This first call is via Google Voice. I need a secondary phone number--my Google Voice number--to show up for person #1. I don't want my regular cell phone Verizon phone number to show up, and I don't want to use *67

(2) Then I call person #2, and once they answer I merge the calls. The caller ID for person #2 shows up as my phone number with Verizon. I have confirmed this with a caller #2. 

(3) The three of us can talk successfully. However, once I disconnect, the other two people are disconnected from one another. My goal is to connect these people and then allow them to continue talking after I leave the call, without one of them having to call the other back. 

It would be very helpful if you could resolve this for me. Thanks very much.
0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

I appreciate you clarifying that information. With three-way calling, though our cellular network, it will only allow a call from the same number. So if you are calling from your mobile phone network,  not the Google Voice App, the second call would be also from that same number. Likewise, if you call from theGoogle Voice App, with a three-way call, you can only initiate another call using the Google Voice App/Number.  Regarding if the call would continue, it will disconnect when you hang up as you are the initial caller. Does that information make sense?  AlbertoR_VZW

0 Likes
md1870

I'm not sure that's accurate, if I'm understanding what you're saying. I call person #1 via Google Voice, and the person receiving that call sees my Google Voice number as caller ID. Then with the #1 call still active, I call person #2 and when they answer merge the calls. Person #2 sees my Verizon number as the caller ID. I have tested this with friends and confirmed that these are the respective caller ID numbers that #1 and #2 see. In my situation I would prefer that person #2 also see my Google Voice number as the caller ID number, but it's not a big deal. The main thing is the person #1 see the Google Voice number, which they do. 

However, that wasn't the purpose in posting my question. My question remains if there is a way for person #1 and #2 to continue talking after I disconnect from the 3-way call that I initiated. I'm thinking the answer is "no," but I would love to learn otherwise. 

I appreciate your responses in trying to answer this for me. 

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

I know this is a confusing situation, md1870. Regarding originating calls via Google Voice for a 3-way call, you would need to contact Google Voice support for more information on how that service works under this scenario since that is a third party service. This is the Google Voice support page: https://support.google.com/voice/?hl=en#topic=1707989 

Does this help?

RyanM_VZW

0 Likes