iPhone XR losing cellular network connection
Downeaster59
Enthusiast - Level 3

Every once in a while, even though my iPhone still shows me as on LTE and with two, three or even four bars as I am using it as a personal hotspot, I'll get a pop-up window on my iPhone telling me that there's no network connection, and it can no longer access the internet.  This will last for maybe 10-20 minutes, whether or not I reboot my iPhone.  Then I can access the network normally again.

Is this typical?  Is this a potential problem that needs to be dealt with?

Thanks!

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: iPhone XR losing cellular network connection
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

On certain plans the data will be reduced after you reach a level using the hotspot. Can you tell us what plan you are on? Also, does this happen at a specific location (indoors/outdoors)? DoloresK_VZW

0 Likes
Downeaster59
Enthusiast - Level 3

Sorry for being late in replying, but I did not receive any notification that I had a reply!

I am on the Get More Unlimited plan.  

Those times when my iPhone XR loses a data connection happen when I'm indoors, and (oddly enough) happen most often on Sundays in the late afternoon.  It may happen once or twice in a week at most.  

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Downeaster59

Wireless devices use radio transmissions; therefore many factors can play a part in how your device receives our signals. Some factors include terrain, foliage, weather, and buildings. It becomes more difficult to guarantee service inside a building because there are different types of materials used in the structure, some that restrict signals more than others.Sadly, due to the nature of cellular service we cannot guarantee service indoors. Using Wi-Fi and Wi-Fi calling (http://vz.to/2u1GgAw) indoors is the best solution for this type of issue. I certainly apologize for the inconvenience.

EdwardL_VZW

0 Likes
Downeaster59
Enthusiast - Level 3

I understand what you are saying.  The odd thing is that this happens while I am in the same location in the building.  For quite a while, I'll have cellular data access when I look for it.  Then, I'll lose data for a short time, then get it back.  All while remaining in the same location!  And, I never lose my voice connection.  

I'd like to use WiFi indoors, but the DSL connection has become very unreliable, and efforts to address this problem have not succeeded.  

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

We appreciate the additional details. Is the device software up to date? What troubleshooting steps have you done so far and when did this issue start? ChristianP_VZW

0 Likes
Downeaster59
Enthusiast - Level 3

The device software is up to date.  I have not done any troubleshooting steps other than, whenever I lose a data connection, I will try turning off cellular data and then turning it on again.  If that doesn't work, I try rebooting my phone.  If that doesn't work, my data connection usually returns within ten minutes.  Then, it could be a few hours or a few weeks before the data connection is lost again.  

When the data connection is lost, the top right of my phone still shows LTE with 2-4 bars.  

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Downeaster59,

That would certainly get old quickly. I wouldn't want you to continue having the same thing happen, even if it usually isn't all that often. Does it always seem to happen at the same location? Do you know if others in the area are having similar issues?

AndrewT_VZW

0 Likes