app install issue on iPhone X
axel_2078
Contributor - Level 2

For those of you that may already have your iPhone X, are you having issues getting some apps to install (restore from backup)?  I noticed that the icons for some of my apps  were replaced with a grey background there is a tiny icon of a cloud on the bottom left corner next to them.  Some apps, like Gmail, appear to be installed, but when you click on the icon, it says "Waiting" and then brings up the circle to indicate the app is installing.  For one of the ones with the grey background and little cloud image, I had to re-download the app from the app store.  It worked, but took nearly 30 minutes to download.  I still have several other apps that I've been trying to install for nearly 4 hours now.  I have pretty fast wifi, but as a test, I turned it off and just used LTE and it was just as slow.  I'm wondering if Apple's app store servers are getting pounded with traffic due to the iPhone X release today??

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: app install issue on iPhone X
axel_2078
Contributor - Level 2

Really?  No one?  So it's just me and my wife that's experiencing this phenomenon?

0 Likes
tdperry
Contributor - Level 1

Yes, I noticed it was slow on my wife's X after restoring from backup.  For some reason it apparently wanted to download most of the applications again.

One thing I noticed on her phone, she was on cellular and not on WiFi.  Some of her applications may have been larger than what is allowed for cellular D/L.  Once I joined her to WiFi they all proceeded to install  much faster.

On mine, I already had WiFi on and it went much faster than hers.

0 Likes
axel_2078
Contributor - Level 2

We’ve tried this while on LTE and while on wireless and apps still won’t install. After several hours, it will give an error that says “App cannot be downloaded at this time.”  This is becoming really aggravating. We can’t use half of our apps.

0 Likes
axel_2078
Contributor - Level 2

Since apps still aren't installing, I just did another factory reset and tried once again to do a restore from iCloud.  This time, however, NO apps will install.  All of them are stuck in "Waiting" status.  If I click on one, it acts like it's installing it, but isn't and eventually says "App can't be downloaded right now".  Super frustrating.

0 Likes
axel_2078
Contributor - Level 2

I just tried backing up my iPhone 7 to my iMac via itunes instead of backing it up to iCloud.  I then tried connecting my iPhone X to iTunes and restoring from that backup.  The result was the same.  Now, I can't get ANY apps to install onto my iPhone X.  At least my wife is having better luck than me.  She is able to delete her apps and then reinstall them, but that doesn't work for me.  I guess a trip to the Apple store is in my future.

0 Likes
axel_2078
Contributor - Level 2

SOLVED:

Apparently this problem was self-inflicted.  Through some troubleshooting with an Apple tech (live chat session), I found out that my phone was not able to connect to Apple's servers, even though it could get to anything else.  My iMac wasn't able to either whenever I tried to restore my phone via iTunes.  I turned on my VPN client on my iMac and then the problem went away (for my iMac).  I figured the problem must be related to MY network somehow.

A couple days ago, I made a change to my hardware firewall.  I later turned it off, but I think that some of the information was still cached on the firewall.  I just rebooted the firewall and then tried installing a couple apps over my wireless connection and they installed without a problem.  I then did a restore one last time, but this time, it was successful!  All my apps started downloading as soon as I signed into my phone.  I can now put this one to rest.