San Francisco unusable data speeds on LTE band 13
supermarco
Enthusiast - Level 2

Hello:

My iPhone X is literally useable in many areas in SF . I've found  that ,via the iPhone field screen, this occurs when the phone switches to LTE Band 13.

One example is 18th Street, between Diamond and Noe St in San Francisco. This is a business area with bars & restaurants, bus stops, subway, etc. On this ST, the phone falls on band 13 and it is unusable and I have to disable LTE to be usable. It's ridiculous that in such a busy area Verizon cannot offer internet to get an Uber. If you walk a block towards 19th street, the phone switches to another LTE band and the speeds are above 40 Mbit. This behavior happens everywhere in SF where my phone is on LTE 13. This also occurs on the nearby Collingwood between 19th and 18th.

The worse is: My phone shows full bars LTE -- How can I have full bars LTE and the data does not work?

There are some electric cables above the ground for the electric buses that maybe are interfering with the signal. AT&T and T-mobile work fine in this neighborhood. Sprint is.... that never works anywhere.

I tested other areas and the LTE band 13 has the same behavior: Full LTE signal but not cannot use data at all.

Is there a way to block this band from my device?  I saw some old comments in here complaining about the same thing .

Thanks!

Labels (1)
Re: San Francisco unusable data speeds on LTE band 13
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

I appreciate all of your details regarding your concern, supermarco. It sounds like you’ve done a lot already, and I too would be concerned if my phone was having this same issue. I wanted to gather some other details so that I can better work towards resolving this. When specifically did this issue first start happening in this area? What zip code does that area fall under in San Francisco? Do you know if other Verizon users have the same experience with their service in these same locations? What happens if you try to call or text in these areas?

Joseph_VZW
Follow us on TWITTER @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the _Correct Answer_ button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
supermarco
Enthusiast - Level 2

When specifically did this issue first start happening in this area?
For several months now, it is not a new issue. Another thread (from 2014) reports the same (see reply # 4 in this link): Extremely slow LTE service in San Francisco

What zip code does that area fall under in San Francisco?

94114. Exact location in this link : Google Maps

Do you know if other Verizon users have the same experience with their service in these same locations?

Yes!

What happens if you try to call or text in these areas?

No issue with phone calls. iMessages do not go through but they may go out as SMS text.

Today I also experienced the same issue in the Stonestown Mall in San Francisco (94132): The phone worked very well with band 4 and suddenly data stopped working. I checked and I saw the dreaded band 13. I check the LTE band using *3001#12345#* . I started turning the data switch on and off multiple times until the phone data started working. At that point I checked again and the iPhone was on LTE band 4.

I read in another forums that the issue is with LTE band 13 and that's how I started tracking the problem.

All the times that I've had this problem (no data), my iPhone X shows all bars (full signal).  Turning LTE (force 3G) allows me to use data at a slow speed (enough to request an Uber)

0 Likes
supermarco
Enthusiast - Level 2

Joseph:
Here is another post with exactly the same problem (2014).

Extremely slow LTE data in Castro, San Francisco

I notice that all the problems reported in San Francisco in this community forum do not get an answer. Is this the place to bring data speeds problem?

0 Likes
supermarco
Enthusiast - Level 2

And yet another person reporting the same thing
Degrated Service in San Francisco (Castro area)

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

It's important to be able to rely on your device no matter where you are, supermarco. I have sent a private message in order to further assist you. I look forward to your reply.

Lauren_VZW
If my response answered your question please click the _Correct Answer_ button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
supermarco
Enthusiast - Level 2

Any updates on this? 2 weeks without any sort of response or updates.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

We are dedicated to getting to the bottom of this once and for all. I apologize that you have not heard anything back. I would be happy to investigate the network concerns in detail. I have sent a Direct Message and will look forward to engaging with you further.

Yale_VZW

0 Likes
spacerock

I echo his sentiments, and am experiencing extremely slow speeds with full connection on LTE nearby in 94115 as well. Can you please have the nearest tower in this area evaluated? Thank you.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Thank you for bringing this to our attention, spacerock. I have sent you a private message regarding this concern. We look forward to hearing from you.

Marshall_VZW

0 Likes