Group texts will not send
nos402
Enthusiast - Level 2

I realized yesterday that I can not send group texts. I receive them but when I send it eventually times out and fails.

I've tried with four different groups with no numbers in common. A group of 7, 8, and two groups of 2.

I've restarted my phone.

I've checked the group messaging and MMS settings are turned on. 

I've tried Wifi and Cellular. 

If I send to 2 people who are both using iMessage, that will work, but if I then turn off iMessage and try to send via SMS, that fails. 

I've only been with Verizon for a month, so this seems like a Verizon specific problem as I've never had any issues when I was on AT&T or Google Fi.

I'm baffled and frustrated. Any ideas? I'm currently awaiting my new 11 Pro which should be here any minute so I was waiting to go into a Verizon store until I tried again on the new phone.

Labels (1)
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Group texts will not send
nos402
Enthusiast - Level 2

Well I gave up and reset all my settings which was a huge pain, but I could not find any single setting that seemed to fix it, though "Reset All Settings" did the trick.

View solution in original post

tbschimel
Enthusiast - Level 2

I had this happen once, try resetting your network settings. If you're using an iPhone it's under General > Reset > Reset Network Settings; could also put it into airplane mode then back into data, to see if it resets it. In general there could just be an outtage in your area; they won't admit to it so don't bother aruging with them. 

nos402
Enthusiast - Level 2

I have tried airplane mode and back but was trying to avoid resetting the network settings wince that loses all you wifi saved networks, and it says it resets the network settings to default, which they should still be since I never changed them. But if the problem persists on the new phone, I may have to at least try it. I can send single texts or even iMessages just fine, so it doesn't seem like it would be an outage. Thanks for the tips though! I also wondered it it sould be related to updating to iOS 13 a day or two ago, but no one else seems to be having this issue so it doesn't seem iOS related either.

0 Likes
nos402
Enthusiast - Level 2

I reset network settings. No change. Visited a Verizon store. They couldn't help. Also realized I can't text photos either. 

nos402
Enthusiast - Level 2

The good news:
I found that if I "Reset All Settings" all works again. 

The bad news:
I don't want to do that as that's a LOT of re-customization to do and try to remember what all I've changed. But I figure that means that if I can just find the offending setting I can fix it. No idea what that setting could be though as I've tried all the ones I would think affect this.

0 Likes
nos402
Enthusiast - Level 2

Well I gave up and reset all my settings which was a huge pain, but I could not find any single setting that seemed to fix it, though "Reset All Settings" did the trick.

vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Thank you for all your troubleshooting steps. Please tell us, are you currently connected to Wi-Fi or using your own data? What model is your device? How much free memory space does your device have?

MariaV_VZW

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

nos402, I am glad to hear the reset worked for you. Our goal is to make sure you have a working phone. Does this address all of your concerns today?

DiaS_VZW

0 Likes