Data use while on Wi-Fi
bengiii

My Daughter's iphone uses large amouts of cellular data twice a day twelve hours apart while on Wi-Fi.  Once early in the morning before she is awake and on Wi-Fi and then again in the early evening so its not from her use. The drain can be 0.5 gigs per day and its not uncommon for her phone to use 6-8 gigs of data per month to our 0.8 gigs per month.

Her phone was recently upgraded to the X but the problems persist. She will never remember to turn her data on and off.  This is quite frustrating, not to mention expensive and we can not pinpoint what app or function is causing this to happen.

Help!

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: Data use while on Wi-Fi
mama23dogs
Legend

@bengiii wrote:

My Daughter's iphone uses large amouts of cellular data twice a day twelve hours apart while on Wi-Fi.   Data usage is not reported live.   The timestamps you are seeing on her Data Usage is when it was reported back to Verizon, not the actual moment that dated with Used.     Think of it like writing a check, the money isn’t actually deducted from your account until hours or days later when the check is presented against your account.

Once early in the morning before she is awake and on Wi-Fi and then again in the early evening so its not from her use. The drain can be 0.5 gigs per day and its not uncommon for her phone to use 6-8 gigs of data per month to our 0.8 gigs per month.    That is actually fairly normal usage for someone who is actually using their phone rather than just taking phone calls and sending a few text messages. Modern smart phones are capable of using hundreds of gigabytes of data per month, unless they are constantly connected to Wi-Fi.    I assume like most young people she watches videos, streams music, and probably uses social media. These are all fairly data intensive activities. 

Her phone was recently upgraded to the X but the problems persist. She will never remember to turn her data on and off.  This is quite frustrating, not to mention expensive and we can not pinpoint what app or function is causing this to happen.   There is nothing wrong with her phone it is working perfectly normal. There’s also nothing wrong with your daughter she is also working perfectly normal. LOL   

Help!

First you to figure out what application is using data. If she is streaming music overnight and she is not connected to Wi-Fi half a gig a day is quite doable. That information is in the phone settings under cellular data.  See photo.  

You should turn off Wi-Fi assist. This forces the phone to use home Wi-Fi rather than reverting to cellular data if Wi-Fi is poor or unavailable.   

8E544677-8EF3-4E6E-A922-C86B175A4958.jpeg5EA9C38E-6FDB-46C8-B3E5-8C30BB40EBB9.jpeg9E062D2B-9EB5-4ED6-92F7-AB954CC06FD5.jpeg

0 Likes
mama23dogs
Legend

By the way, if it stresses you out, put her on the prepaid plan for $45 a month.  You can purchase refill cards on amazon for less than face value to refill her plan.  You will have to pay off her phone to switch her to prepaid.  

0 Likes
bearone21
Legend

settings/wi-fi/ask to join, should switch to your wi-fi automatically...it does with my wife's 8+.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Does she have Wi-Fi assist turned on in her settings? 

CheyenneS_VZW

0 Likes
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

@mama23dogs wrote:

By the way, if it stresses you out, put her on the prepaid plan for $45 a month.  You can purchase refill cards on amazon for less than face value to refill her plan.  You will have to pay off her phone to switch her to prepaid.  

Or if they have the newer plans, they could utilize the kids plan to help teach their daughter how to manage their data better. 

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.