Will my iphone SE work in 2020?
higgy978
Enthusiast - Level 2

I just visited a Verizon store and was told several times that my iphone SE would stop working at the end of the month. First I've heard of this. I searched online and it appears there are some restrictions, such as no activations of new lines for older phones, but it should work until the end of 2020. I tried Verizon's "live chat" and a representative never showed up. Please help.

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: Will my iphone SE work in 2020?
wadeowen307
Contributor - Level 1

The shutdown only affects cell phones that are not compatible with HD Voice, such as the iPhone 5s or older models. HD Voice allows you to make phone calls over the LTE network with your existing phone number without the need for apps like Skype, FaceTime, etc. Keep in mind that HD Voice and VoLTE have the same meaning, so I am using these terms interchangeably.  The iPhone SE is VoLTE-compatible, so it will NOT be affected by the CDMA network shutdown. I think what happened is that the Verizon store representatives have mistaken your iPhone for an iPhone 5s, because they look almost exactly the same.

higgy978
Enthusiast - Level 2

Thanks for the response. No confusion on the phone model, there were two guys working there and they discussed the fact its an SE. I let them know I was very irritated about the situation (just paid off my phone a few months ago) and they were suggesting upgrades because as one said several times, it would "stop working" at the end of the month. I asked when I was going to be notified about this (if I hadn't come to to find out why my bill jumped $5/month) and the guy said they were sending out letters but "a lot of people weren't getting them". I think I know why they weren't getting them now...

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

I see. Thank you for clearing this up for us. To confirm, you do have the option to trade in your device that way you can get a new one. Have you ever considered trading in your equipment? DavidR_VZW

0 Likes
higgy978
Enthusiast - Level 2

Thank you but I'm not interested if it will cost money.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

I completely understand, higgy978. You can review our deals on our website using this link if you decide to upgrade your phone in the future. http://spr.ly/66051r2HV

Also, you can review additional information on our network transition to 4G and 5G using this link. http://spr.ly/66061r2Hn

GersonG_VZW

0 Likes
higgy978
Enthusiast - Level 2

Maybe you should tell your stores to stop telling customers this.

vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

The last thing we would want is for there to be any confusion about which phones are compatible with our network, higgy978. Apologies that you received that incorrect information from the store. As wadeowen307 correctly pointed out, the iPhone SE does support HD Voice (Advanced Calling) and so it will not be impacted by the eventual 3G CDMA shutdown. You can always go here to check if a phone is compatible with our network as well: vzw.com/checkesn Does this help out? Did you have any other questions? 

RyanM_VZW

0 Likes
mama23dogs
Legend

@higgy978 wrote:

Maybe you should tell your stores to stop telling customers this.

A salesperson not trying to drum up a sale?  UN HEARD OF!   
You did the right thing to ask.  Pass it on.

anthony3841

I was told today (01/19/20) that the Iphone SE will no longer be supported as well by a chat rep on the Verizon Wireless web site. What is the deal here. 

0 Likes