Can't receive SMS messages on new iPhone SE
jpartridge
Enthusiast - Level 1

I can send and receive normal texts/iMessages just fine, but I'm not receiving SMS messages at all. For instance, when I book an appointment and it sends an automated text to confirm the appointment, I don't get that message. It's an issue because a lot of the apps I have that were working just fine on my prior device aren't available to use now because I don't get the SMS message that I need to interact with in order to confirm that it's me trying to sign in.

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: Can't receive SMS messages on new iPhone SE
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Did this issue begin when you initially activated the device? If so, what steps did you take to initially activate the device?

0 Likes
jpartridge
Enthusiast - Level 1

I activated the device on my own online. I was an existing Verizon customer, just got a new phone, so it shouldn’t be a porting issue as far as I know.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

I rely heavily on SMS messages to keep in touch, as well as for the reasons you pointed out (to verify or authenticate myself). We will do all we can to get the text messages working. Please first ensure the option “Send as SMS” is turned on in your settings: https://www.verizon.com/support/knowledge-base-206988/. Next, to refresh the connection, power your new phone down fully for a minute or two. Power it back up and let us know what happens when you try to message using SMS.

GeorgeS_VZW

0 Likes
OwensW

Cannot send or receive SMS on new Iphone SE bought yesterday.  This is an issue that also affected the Iphone 6 that was used to populate the SE and it also affects the Ipad that is tied to the same line.  This line may have been used on a flip phone before upgrading to Apple- can't remember.  Verizon salesperson could not fix the problem when we got the Iphone 6 and the Ipad and the Verizon salesperson who sold us the Iphone SE yesterday could not fix the problem either.  I'm thinking we need a new telephone line.  Verizon chat has been no help.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

We can help you right here, if you are still having trouble. Your Verizon troubleshooting experts are right here for support. I am going to send you a Private Note to begin our troubleshooting.

-NoahS_VZW

0 Likes
OwensW

Thanks for the reply, NoahS,

Yes, my wife’s line, *****, could not send or receive SMS messages when she had an Iphone6 as well as the Ipad *****, and this fault has transferred over to the new iPhone SE.  My wife’s ***** has a longer history and may have been used with a non smart phone.  That may be the source of the problem. 

Each Verizon Salesperson who sold us these devices could not fix the problem.

What would be the best solution ?

Thanks,

OwensW

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

There are a few steps that we could take to resolve your concerns. To make sure that we aren't doing anything twice, what steps have you taken to attempt to resolve this issue. Please also send us a Private Note, so we may better assist.

-AustinL_VZW

0 Likes
Re: Can't send or receive SMS messages on new iPhone SE
OwensW

I have changed the phone number.

I have reset the phone and erased all settings and data, then reloaded content manually from icloud backup.  

I did this based on the idea that the original phone line was originally set up for a flip phone- don't remember what- and that some setting has traveled with the line to prevent SMS texting.

After all this, THE PHONE STILL WILL NOT SEND SMS TEXTS !

0 Likes
Re: Can't send or receive SMS messages on new iPhone SE
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Congrats on getting your new iPhone SE and we want to ensure that you're able to enjoy its many features! We've noted that you've changed your mobile number, backed up stored data using cloud services, and completed additional troubleshooting for your new device. Being able to send/receive text messages with your new phone is very important and we're here to help get this resolved. Can you tell us if you're viewing a notification message when you're attempting to send a text message from your new phone? Are you able to receive text messages? Are your other services being affected when using your new phone? (e.g., calls, web browsing, etc.) - RobertC_VZW

0 Likes