using so much data?
hcyoung37

I have no idea how I'm using so much data?  Any ideas on how to limit data usage? 

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: using so much data?
bearone21
Legend

avoid having notifications from just about everything,  + social media, email, wx apps , other apps not updating.

or use wi-fi when you can.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

I would also be concerned if I didn't know where my data was going. It is important to know what is going on with your data to avoid any overage fees. To be on the same page, tell us more. How do you normally use your data? Beside the data concern, are you experiencing any issues with your device/service? The following link will provide more information on our Smart Family feature. https://www.verizonwireless.com/solutions-and-services/verizon-smart-family/ This is a great option to provide peace of mind and manage your data usage. Let us know what you think. We are standing by to help.

VictorC_VZW

0 Likes
mama23dogs
Legend

@hcyoung37 wrote:

I have no idea how I'm using so much data?  Any ideas on how to limit data usage? 

How much is “so much”?   And what apps and services used your data?   Limiting data starts with understanding how you used it.  Look in settings, cellular data and read the list.

8E544677-8EF3-4E6E-A922-C86B175A4958.jpeg2F3242CD-E509-4C12-88B4-3A0474D5CCD0.jpeg

vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

We definitely want to ensure you never use your data too fast. Do you ensure to remove all background apps after using them? Do you know if automatic updates are turned on for your App Store? Do you know if you have Wi-Fi Assist turnd on?  Let me know your thoughts! MichelleH_VZW

0 Likes
beyna01

I had the Unlimited Plan and changed down to 2GB because I was never even using that much!!  Now that I changed plans, (first month!) suddenly I am over with 23 days left in my cycle!!  This feels totally bogus.  I am still running exactly the same apps and using them exactly the same.  I also had to buy more storage recently....why are photos both staorage and under data??

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

beyna01,

Having data usage you can't explain happen can definitely be concerning. We want to make sure you know how your plan works and how data is calculated so there won't be any confusion. We're glad to help.

I want to start by explaining the difference between storage and data because they're very different. Storage is the actual space either on your phone or in a cloud. If you bought more that would be in a cloud. Your files are stored there and your files don't use data. Taking a picture doesn't use data. That picture will take up storage space though.

Data is used when files are transferred over the internet. So when you load a website, or download an application, or when an application needs to pull any information from the internet. Taking a photo doesn't require any internet connection so it doesn't use data. Uploading it to a cloud though does use data. You may have that set to happen automatically so it may do that right after you take the picture. Does this make sense?

What type of phone do you have? If you check our data utilization tool what does it say is using the data? You can find this at http://spr.ly/6607Eaen1 .

AndrewT_VZW

mama23dogs
Legend

@beyna01 wrote:

I had the Unlimited Plan and changed down to 2GB because I was never even using that much!!  Now that I changed plans, (first month!) suddenly I am over with 23 days left in my cycle!!  This feels totally bogus.  I am still running exactly the same apps and using them exactly the same.  I also had to buy more storage recently....why are photos both staorage and under data??

Are you backing up with mobile data rather than Wifi?  

0 Likes