Install iPhone 5s backup to iPhone 8
richie72846
Contributor - Level 1

Can I install my iphone 5s backup on itunes onto a new iphone 8 ?  If so, is this the best way to do it ? Will it install all my settings, including email settings and all my apps ?

Richie

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: Install iPhone 5s backup to iPhone 8
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

That is a great question, richie72846. With regard to the back up you are able to install most settings and content to the device. However, some information may not transfer due to the software compatibility of the applications you may have on your phone. Here is a link to help with the transfer http://apple.co/2fYvlVX. Please let us know if this helps.

Verizon_Customer_Serivce

Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

If my response answered your question please click the *Correct Answer* button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!

0 Likes
DancoUSA

Yes, the iTunes Backup/Restore should work fine moving from your 5s to an 8.

Make sure both old and new iPhones have the latest iOS (11.0.2 as of this date), then backup your 5s to iTunes. Make sure the backup is encrypted, so that it saves mail accounts and passwords.

When you have the backup, plug in your new iPhone 8. iTunes will ask if you want to restore it from a saved backup...

If you get a message saying that the backup is incompatible or corrupt, it means your new phone doesn't have the newest iOS. Just make sure the new phone's iOS is the same or newer than your old phone. (Took me 4 restore tries with different saved backups until I figured that one out--my old phone was up to date with 11.0.1, but the new phone came with 11.0.0...)

Once you have finished the restore, you'll notice all your apps re-downloading from the App Store (since iTunes no longer has app support).

Good luck, but it should work just fine...

–Dan

0 Likes
richie72846
Contributor - Level 1

Dan,

Thanks for the info. Never new that backup had to be encrypted in order to save mail accounts. Once you encrypt a backup, do all future backups have to be encrypted ?

Richie

0 Likes
DancoUSA

Richie,

All future backups in iTunes will be encrypted until you uncheck the ”Encrypt iPhone backup” option on the Summary page for your device. When you uncheck it, iTunes will ask for the password before it disables encryption.

It must store this this info on your phone, because if you attach your phone to another computer backups & restore will still be encrypted (If you left encryption on originally). That prevents anyone from making a backup and restoring it to another phone to get at your stuff...

I haven’t used iCloud backup, but I don’t think it supports encryptio, so you can’t use it to save account passwords like with iTunes. (Someone please correct me if i’m wrong.)

Enjoy your new iPhone 8!

0 Likes