Why Is My iPhone 7 Incorrectly Marked As Stolen?
JOSFRI88
Enthusiast - Level 1

Hi, I have give my iPhone 7 128 GB to somebody who is on other carrier (ATT). Even though I have made payments, the phone is incorrectly marked as lost/stolen on other carrier websites. I spoke to customer support and went to VZ store to verify, both said the device is not in any blocked/stolen list.

ATT says they cannot do anything since they get lost/stolen info from Verizon. Verizon says everything is right on their end. I am playing monkey in the middle. As I understand Verizon must be providing these carriers a way to validate blocked devices, how is it possible that the device is showing up as stolen on their check and clean on Verizon check?

Labels (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Why Is My iPhone 7 Incorrectly Marked As Stolen?
deloused
Master - Level 3

You’re correct, the Verizon iPhone 7 wouldn’t be network locked. The IMEI can be blacklisted for activation due to other reasons, such as Swappa’s policy regarding devices under an existing payment agreement. The Swappa website does provide these details:

“Outstanding Financial Obligation

Devices on equipment installment plans (EIP) are still owned by the carrier or company and could be blacklisted or blocked if the balance is not paid. Therefore, they are not eligible for sale on Swappa until paid in full. Examples include: T-Mobile's Jump, AT&T's Next, Verizon's Device Payment Plan ("DPP", formerly called Edge), and Rent-A-Center financing. This also applies to Apple's recent device financing”.

https://swappa.com/faq/answer/listing_device_criteria

I‘ve noticed third parties like Swappa or other carriers often recognize the blacklist status, but may not have the correct reason listed as a device with an outstanding loan or an associated account with a past due balance may be listed generically as ‘lost/stolen ‘ due to the limitations of intercarrier blacklist reporting & detail sharing. (Meaning the iPhone 7 would be blacklisted due to balance or collection issues but Verizon report such personal and particular details to other companies accessing the blacklist

View solution in original post

0 Likes
Re: iPhone 7 Incorrectly marked Stolen - I am Monkey in the middle
JOSFRI88
Enthusiast - Level 1

Here is swappa link: https://swappa.com/esn/shared/S8Y6T2J5

I have verified, the response is same on ATT and T-Mobile IMEI checks

WARNING! Our records show that this device has been reported stolen. Unless the status changes, this device will not work on our network or on most other networks around the world.

Here is the imei : [Removed]

personal information removed as required by the Verizon Wireless Terms of Service

Message edited by Verizon Moderator.

0 Likes
deloused
Master - Level 3

Has the balance of the device been fully paid off?

JOSFRI88
Enthusiast - Level 1

The device is not paid off, but its on 24 months payment plan. As I understand Verizon iPhones are network unlocked and if my account is in good standing then the device should work elsewhere.

0 Likes
deloused
Master - Level 3

You’re correct, the Verizon iPhone 7 wouldn’t be network locked. The IMEI can be blacklisted for activation due to other reasons, such as Swappa’s policy regarding devices under an existing payment agreement. The Swappa website does provide these details:

“Outstanding Financial Obligation

Devices on equipment installment plans (EIP) are still owned by the carrier or company and could be blacklisted or blocked if the balance is not paid. Therefore, they are not eligible for sale on Swappa until paid in full. Examples include: T-Mobile's Jump, AT&T's Next, Verizon's Device Payment Plan ("DPP", formerly called Edge), and Rent-A-Center financing. This also applies to Apple's recent device financing”.

https://swappa.com/faq/answer/listing_device_criteria

I‘ve noticed third parties like Swappa or other carriers often recognize the blacklist status, but may not have the correct reason listed as a device with an outstanding loan or an associated account with a past due balance may be listed generically as ‘lost/stolen ‘ due to the limitations of intercarrier blacklist reporting & detail sharing. (Meaning the iPhone 7 would be blacklisted due to balance or collection issues but Verizon report such personal and particular details to other companies accessing the blacklist

0 Likes