Verizon sold me a refurbished phone as new
JASMCH27
Enthusiast - Level 1

My iPhone 7 that I purchased as new (or so I thought) from a Verizon retailer, was just confirmed by Apple to have been refurbished.

I went to Apple to repair my phone (I had a service issue, they needed to replace internal parts), which they would have done for free; however, I was disqualified from a free repair because there was evidence of a third party screen. Thinking this was a mistake on Apple's part, I  sent my phone back to the repair center to be re-evaluated because I had never had my screen replaced so the screen on my iPhone 7 should have been the one it was originally made with. After the re-evaluation, it is clear that Verizon sold me a refurbished phone as new and I did not qualify for the free repair. This is beyond frustrating because now I am stuck with a phone that gets no service and both Verizon and Apple refuse to do anything about it.

Verizon is only concerned with making money and does not care about the quality of the products they sell to their customers. I will be considering other cell providers and will never consider buying a product from a Verizon store.

I urge everyone to buy directly from the retailer because you simply cannot trust what Verizon is selling you. And be warned, if you buy a refurbished phone, Apple will not extend their complementary repair services to you.

Labels (1)
Re: Verizon sold me a refurbished phone as new
boringusername
Master - Level 1

You didn't get it form a Verizon store you got it from a retailer. You said so yourself

vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

I'm disappointed to hear that you are experiencing an issue with repairing your device, JASMCH27. In addition, you should expect to receive the same care through our authorized retailers as you would receive in a direct Verizon store. Apple does take extra care with packaging new devices. A new iPhone box will be vacuum sealed in plastic. In addition, the phone itself is covered front to back with a thick plastic protective layer. 

You mentioned an issue with service. We want to ensure that you have a working phone. Is your model listed as one of those affected by the known iPhone 7 issue: https://apple.co/2pjN36S ? I have sent a private message in order to further assist. I look forward to your reply.

LaurenC_VZW
Follow us on TWITTER @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the _Correct Answer_ button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
ScammedNH
Enthusiast - Level 1

I just found out I have the same exact Issue Verizon store OR corporate, I bought 4 iPhone 8 plus phones at once so I am not sure where each came from were all supposed to be new. Screen stopped working on one, had a repair guy open it and front of me and it had a replacement screen and no glue around the edges. Call Verizon and they basically said that it not possible... We woudln't do that but oddl that may people have claimed they have???

SilverSassyLady
Enthusiast - Level 2

I too was sold a NEW phone by Verizon at an Inverness FL location a year ago.  I not really a phone whiz so haven't done any searching around on the phone until just recently.  I found a document that was downloaded in 2014 and it even had the owner's name - Lisa P*********.

I personally think this is some form of fraud.  What can I do?  Obviously the warranty is no good if I actually bought a used phone.

mama23dogs
Legend

@SilverSassyLady wrote:

I too was sold a NEW phone by Verizon at an Inverness FL location a year ago.  I not really a phone whiz so haven't done any searching around on the phone until just recently.  I found a document that was downloaded in 2014 and it even had the owner's name - Lisa P*********.

I personally think this is some form of fraud.  What can I do?  Obviously the warranty is no good if I actually bought a used phone.

What iPhone model?  

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

SilverSassyLady, finding information that is not yours, on your phone, would definitely have me wondering what was happening. You mentioned that this device was purchased in store, was this purchased on Device Payment Agreement? Which make and model phone is this? Are you experiencing any issues with the device? What is the device IMEI number? This may normally be found by going to the Settings, General, About or Settings, About Phone.

LorenB_VZW If my response answered your question please click the _Correct Answer_ button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

SilverSassyLady
Enthusiast - Level 2

No issues with phone, just angry it was sold to me as a new phone, especially because they marketed the plan as being for people over 55 .  Taking advantage of seniors in my book is a no, no!

Moto z3

Bought our new phones on 19 Mar 2019

Store CF12-INVERNESS 2
mama23dogs
Legend

There are 2 franchise stores in Inverness  that sell as Verizon retailers.  Neither is owned by Verizon.    
  How did a document get downloaded in 2014 on a phone that isn't that old? (2018)

0 Likes
SilverSassyLady
Enthusiast - Level 2

I have no idea!  I took a screen shot but can't seem to attach it here.  

0 Likes