iphone 6 group messages out of order
Paul13
Enthusiast - Level 2

so the day the iPhone 6 came out I switched from the Galaxy s4 to it and have been having this problem where messages in group chats that have a couple non iPhone users come in out of order sometimes so the conversation won't make sense. It happens in all the group chats that have some non iPhone users so I'm guessing that has something to do with it but the other iPhone users in the group chat don't have the problem which is what confused me even though they are on AT&T and ios8. It usually happens about once or twice a day and I've tried restoring my phone to fix it but that just left me with half of my pics getting deleted for some reason and the 3 software updates that I've done haven't fixed it either. So I'm wondering if it's my phone or not, thanks in advance!

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: iphone 6 group messages out of order
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Hi Paul13,

Oh my! We want your group messages to work properly. Just to clarify your group messaging comes in out of order when non-iPhone device are included in the group messaging? When you state of order do you mean time of receipt for the non-iPhone user is coming to your device delayed? If the user sends you a direct message how long does it take for your device to receive the message? It could be an iMessage is received faster than a standard SMS.

Thanks,
PamelaF_VZW
Tweet us @vzwsupport

0 Likes
Paul13
Enthusiast - Level 2

yes correct in the group chats it happens in it consist of 4 non iPhone users( all on AT&T ) and 5 iPhone users (with 2 iPhones on verizon). The times on the group messages make it seem like the texts are coming in the right order but some texts don't make sense so i know its out of order. At random times somebody could say something like "Yes" but nobody has said anything in the group chat for like 30 minutes so i know i missed something and then 5 minutes later the original message that person replied to would come and the times would make it seem like they're in the right order. The other people that have iPhones in the chat get the texts in the correct order so I'm not sure what the problem is.

Thanks

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Thanks for the explanation, Paul13.
Just to be sure, do you have the most recent software version on your iPhone 6? (Go to Settings>General>About>Version)

The software team wants to be able to further investigate this so you aren't missing any important details within the group messages.

Are you able to test it with iMessage disabled for a day or 2 to see if the messages process for you?
If you create a new thread & attempt to send a new group message is the behavior duplicated?

TamaraH_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

0 Likes
Paul13
Enthusiast - Level 2

I am on the current software which is 8.1 and I actually did try disabling iMessage but it still happened on the same day. A couple times there have been new group chats started and the problem still happens so pretty much it happens whenever it's a group chat where there is some non iPhone users.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Thanks for the reply Paul13! Let's look into this a bit deeper. Are you able to text the non-iPhone users without group messaging without any issues? Also, do you only experience this when you initate a group message? If you can test these scenarios then we can narrow down the root cause.

Thank you…

ArnettH_VZW

0 Likes
Paul13
Enthusiast - Level 2

Okay I tested it out and it doesn't happen when it's not in group chats, it's only a group chat problem with some non iPhone users and the problem happens both when I initiate a group message and even when I don't initiate it

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Got it Paul13, we'll get the messages flowing! Lets check some Settings. Please go into Settings, Messages, and ensure Send as SMS is enabled. Then ensure that Group Messaging is also enabled.

AshleyS_VZW

0 Likes
Paul13
Enthusiast - Level 2

Those settings have always been enabled I made sure of that

0 Likes