iPhone 6s bought from Korea doesn't work in US Verizon
jessppark
Enthusiast - Level 1

I'm trying to use an iPhone 6s bought from Korea in the US and it says 'no service' on the top left when the Verizon SIM is inserted. I then activated the SIM on the US bought iPhone and it works fine on that phone. When the SIM was re-inserted to the Korean bought phone, it said 'no service' again.

The Korean phone is from LG U+ (U plus) and I got a confirmation from the carrier saying the phone is UNLOCKED.

I also heard on another forum that korean iPhone 6s models may not work on Verizon and I may need to go to AT&T. Can anyone confirm?

Thank you!

TLDR: Unlocked iPhone 6S from Korea doesn't work with an activated Verizon SIM. Top right says 'no service'. HELP!

Labels (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: iPhone 6s bought from Korea doesn't work in US Verizon
jessppark
Enthusiast - Level 1

I purchased a prepaid Sim Card. The Verizon store associate checked the Device ID and told me that the device is compatible with Verizon. I used the AT&T SIM and that worked, so I don't have issues any more.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
Weth
Legend

With the Verizon SIM installed in the iPhone, restore it to factory, and set up as new. If it passes the activation phase, and you do not get a SIM not supported error, then it should work. If you get the SIM not supported error, then the phone is not unlocked. Also, Verizon should be able to let you know if the particular model number that you have is supported on their network. Not all will be, especially if you are in a Verizon legacy location, which is CDMA, versus LTE. Verizon will have to answer those questions for you, but they should be able to tell if that model will work in the US, so long as you tell them that you purchased the phone in Korea.

source: https://discussions.apple.com/thread/8593908

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Jessppark, we know that it is important to have cellular service on your device when traveling. Thanks for all your hard work in an attempt to activate your device. We can help here. Did you purchase Prepaid or Postpaid VZW service with your Sim Card? When you place your Device ID in our Bring Your Own Device check here https://www.verizonwireless.com/bring-your-own-device/, does it say that your device can be activated on our network? -PamelaF_VZW

0 Likes
jessppark
Enthusiast - Level 1

I purchased a prepaid Sim Card. The Verizon store associate checked the Device ID and told me that the device is compatible with Verizon. I used the AT&T SIM and that worked, so I don't have issues any more.

0 Likes